Dana White on Affliction VP: "The guy has an attitude problem, and I’m going to fix it for him"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White on Affliction VP: "The guy has an attitude problem, and I’m going to fix it for him"
MMAcca
7/10/08 2:04:15PM
Dana White offered a cocksure laugh borne from battles past; proof that the business of cage fighting can be as cutthroat and unforgiving as the sport itself.

“It’s about how much pain are you willing to take,” the president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship said last week.

As mixed martial arts has boomed into a colossal business, no one has been smarter or tougher than White. In just seven years he turned a fledgling fight promotion into an estimated billion-dollar company.

He’s done it by building up the UFC and tearing down virtually everyone else. This month he’s at his best, attempting to inflict on Affliction plenty of pain.

LINK
Jason-plata
7/10/08 2:11:04PM
Dana is hoping that him airing a free title fight will cut the legs off of the Affliction fight. I think what he forgot is that almost everyone in the world has some type of recordin device in their homes.. Maybe I am not speaking for eveyone in the world, but who is gonna miss a card like this? ?
emfleek
7/10/08 2:25:29PM

Posted by Jason-plata

Dana is hoping that him airing a free title fight will cut the legs off of the Affliction fight. I think what he forgot is that almost everyone in the world has some type of recordin device in their homes.. Maybe I am not speaking for eveyone in the world, but who is gonna miss a card like this? ?

Yeah, but the majority of those people in the world WILL NOT spend $40 when there's a FREE alternative. That alternative just so happens to be an event being put on by the top MMA promotion in the world.
grappler0000
7/10/08 2:32:20PM

Posted by Jason-plata

9/10 of the casual fans...hard core fans will watch it regardless, but the large percentage of fans are casual.
MaxOne
7/10/08 2:53:06PM
the more the merrier...for me
Wolfenstein
7/10/08 3:18:09PM
The guys at Affliction have been nothing but respectful of the UFC so I don't get Dana's "they have an attitude problem. No Dana you have an attitude problem...but I love it.

The Affliction card may be a little overrated, because it may be filled with awesome fighters, it also has many mismatches. If you look at the odds almost every fight has a heavy underdog. That said I'm still pumped about the card and I'll be watching and use Tivo for Fight Night. At the very least people should want to tune in for the free undercard and watch Vitor Belfort vs Terry Martin.

It's understandable Dana isn't going to acknowledge how good this card is. After all Pepsi isn't going to tell you Coke's pretty good, they're going to tell you it sucks.

PaleHorse
7/10/08 3:38:46PM
I think Dana is bringing more attention to Affliction, and anyone who wants a good dose of MMA (I told my boss that he can work 9 AM - 8 PM so I could take this day off) and who wants to see actual cards that could provide rankings (top level vs top level not like a lot of UFC fights where its top level vs stepping stone or top level vs debut) I think Affliction is going to have the world heavyweight division under their belt which is a good place to start at, and eventually work your way down with WAMMA being open to other organizations unless the UFC gets with it, I think that a lot of the true fighters (once they've gotten past the UFC hype) will flock to a WAMMA organization. Its pretty often where the UFC has sat there with a top level fighter and said "Who is going to stop this man now?" with guys like Anderson Silva, Matt Hughes, and BJ Penn (at some point) and in reality, there are a million and one other great fighters in that weight class that you can't see fight the top guy because the UFC isn't open to cross promotions. I say **** that, I don't see them wilting under the pressure from WAMMA, but I see them losing a lot of great fighters to it.
meier
7/10/08 5:26:10PM

I think Dana is bringing more attention to Affliction, and anyone who wants a good dose of MMA (I told my boss that he can work 9 AM - 8 PM so I could take this day off) and who wants to see actual cards that could provide rankings (top level vs top level not like a lot of UFC fights where its top level vs stepping stone or top level vs debut) I think Affliction is going to have the world heavyweight division under their belt which is a good place to start at, and eventually work your way down with WAMMA being open to other organizations unless the UFC gets with it, I think that a lot of the true fighters (once they've gotten past the UFC hype) will flock to a WAMMA organization. Its pretty often where the UFC has sat there with a top level fighter and said "Who is going to stop this man now?" with guys like Anderson Silva, Matt Hughes, and BJ Penn (at some point) and in reality, there are a million and one other great fighters in that weight class that you can't see fight the top guy because the UFC isn't open to cross promotions. I say **** that, I don't see them wilting under the pressure from WAMMA, but I see them losing a lot of great fighters to it.
thats a fair point
mrsmiley
7/10/08 6:21:17PM
I think UFC will top dog for a while to come,but the more I hear Dana talk,the more I think Affliction has got him worried.He counters their PPV with a free event on SPIKE TV.

And what gets me,is that UFC has all this time been promoting the UFC.Not the fighters.Which is understandable.This isn't Pro-Wrestling were you can keep a fixated champion and build him up for years and years.
But since the UFC wasn't promoting their fighters,companies like Affliction come along and start promoting guys like Liddell,GSP,Barnett,etc.Then they announce their going to put together a fight card,and the next thing you know the UFC is all about promoting the fighters.Creating action figures,pool sticks,etc.I'm no genius on any of this,and as I've mentioned before,i'm sure their are people on these boards that know more about this stuff than me,but from were i'm looking it seems like the UFC is trying to cover their ass on a few things they should have been taking care of a few years ago.
Kracker_Jap
7/10/08 8:16:45PM
Affliction will lose tons of money because the UFC is having there card for free

What hurts Affliction helps the UFC..... That is the bottom line

May the best org win Just like the UFC vs Pride days
cmill21
7/10/08 9:16:47PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Affliction will lose tons of money because the UFC is having there card for free

Not really, Pride having to sell had nothing to do with the UFC.
mrsmiley
7/10/08 9:25:38PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Kracker_Jap
7/10/08 11:45:45PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I don't really want to get into this

but here I go even though I know better....

In the form of questions....

Were Pride and the UFC Competitors????

Did the UFC or Pride go out of business???

What org bought who???

In the world of business would that be considered a tie ???

I think deep inside you know the answer.......

But I respect your post and on going love for Pride....

With members like you Pride will never be forgotten
cmill21
7/11/08 12:02:05AM
Pride wen't out of business because they lost their Japanese Tv deal, meaning they lost the equivalent of the UFC losing their PPV ability. They lost it because they had involvement with the Yakuza, the UFC had nothing to do with that. The UFC bought Pride. The UFC and Pride were not direct competitors, they operated mainly in opposit continents. No this had nothing to do with me loving Pride, this had to do with that being an innacurate comparison, the UFC and Affliction are in direct competition and they are both trying to get people in the same tv market, as far as I know the UFC doesn't have a Japanese tv deal, so had Pride not had the terrible luck, and stupidity they would still be as strong as ever(in theory). As for the UFC and Affliction, one will win the other will die, directly caused by the other.
hippysmacker
7/11/08 1:32:12AM

Posted by cmill21

Pride wen't out of business because they lost their Japanese Tv deal, meaning they lost the equivalent of the UFC losing their PPV ability. They lost it because they had involvement with the Yakuza, the UFC had nothing to do with that. The UFC bought Pride. The UFC and Pride were not direct competitors, they operated mainly in opposit continents. No this had nothing to do with me loving Pride, this had to do with that being an innacurate comparison, the UFC and Affliction are in direct competition and they are both trying to get people in the same tv market, as far as I know the UFC doesn't have a Japanese tv deal, so had Pride not had the terrible luck, and stupidity they would still be as strong as ever(in theory). As for the UFC and Affliction, one will win the other will die, directly caused by the other.

Yep. Pride didn't even attempt tp compete with the UFC here until they lost the Tv deal at home. Their move to North America was a last ditch effort to save the company, but unfortunately the move was made too late . IMO if they had made it a year earlier they would have survived, and then who knows.