Dana White: UFC adding 125-pound flyweight division "like, really soon"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: UFC adding 125-pound flyweight division "like, really soon"
Budgellism
6/9/11 6:54:58PM
UFC president Dana White today confirmed that the organization is moving forward on its plan to add a 125-pound flyweight division to its existing seven weight classes.

White said it could come "like, really soon," possibly by year's end.

LINK
Kpro
6/9/11 6:56:28PM
Sorry Tachi!
FastKnockout
6/9/11 6:57:49PM
Two incredible announcements back to back! Today is a good day. Gotta add this to my diary.
Twenty20Dollars
6/9/11 6:59:11PM
Joe B vs Mighty Mouse
Budgellism
6/9/11 7:04:14PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Joe B vs Mighty Mouse

Exactly what I'm thinking.
KungFuMaster
6/9/11 7:08:17PM
I wish this could have been done when I was younger. I walk around 150 lbs but my healthy weight is 140 and I would be able to cut to 125.

Anyway, it is about time. I suspect we will see more Asians especially with origins from Southeast Asia in this division. I would like to see Thai fighters take up mma. These guys train from morning until dusk. They live and breathe to train and to fight. If you guys were amazed at Aldo's Muay Thai, you would be more amazed at some of these Thai fighters. They train to take punishment and deliver them as well.

I would love to see Aldo take on a Muay Thai fighter.
Budgellism
6/9/11 7:11:28PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I wish this could have been done when I was younger. I walk around 150 lbs but my healthy weight is 140 and I would be able to cut to 125.

Anyway, it is about time. I suspect we will see more Asians especially with origins from Southeast Asia in this division. I would like to see Thai fighters take up mma. These guys train from morning until dusk. They live and breathe to train and to fight. If you guys were amazed at Aldo's Muay Thai, you would be more amazed at some of these Thai fighters. They train to take punishment and deliver them as well.

I would love to see Aldo take on a Muay Thai fighter.

Thai fights are some of the craziest fights you'll ever see.
KungFuMaster
6/9/11 7:16:23PM

Posted by Budgellism

Many of these guys fight twice a month or even more. As long as there are no broken bones, they are good to go.
Budgellism
6/9/11 7:17:17PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Budgellism

Many of these guys fight twice a month or even more. As long as there are no broken bones, they are good to go.

So true. Tough as nails over there.
FastKnockout
6/9/11 7:18:10PM
I'm thinking one of these two will have the best chance at being champion, if you count out Benevidez and Mighty Mouse.

The Mongoose

The Illest Afro In Asia
sbulldavid
6/9/11 7:21:42PM
I think we will see more Thai fighters cross training and fluttering into MMA now that the UFC is opening it's doors to the lower weights, It will only take one to bring many.
Kpro
6/9/11 7:24:16PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I'm thinking one of these two will have the best chance at being champion, if you count out Benevidez and Mighty Mouse.

The Mongoose

And don't count out "Uncle Creepy" Ian McCall. His title fight with Montague in August just got a lot more put on the line for the winner.
Budgellism
6/9/11 7:25:54PM

Posted by FastKnockout

The Mongoose

The Illest Afro In Asia

I'm pretty positive Benavidez will be the first ufc flyweight champion but these guys could easily challenge. Both very skilled.
KungFuMaster
6/9/11 7:41:48PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I think we will see more Thai fighters cross training and fluttering into MMA now that the UFC is opening it's doors to the lower weights, It will only take one to bring many.

I don't know if they will. Thai fighters aren't very interested in fighting in other countries. They have the potential to make good money from K-1 but I don't see them jumping onboard the K-1 scene.

A lot of these guys do not want to leave their homeland. Let's hope some do realize the potential and are willing to sacrifice a little to make a lot.
prozacnation1978
6/9/11 8:08:59PM
Ufc should just buy out Tachi Palace's fly weight class

But I see it not happening till 2012
They need to add a lot of fly weight fighters to their roster
Kpro
6/9/11 8:47:33PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Ufc should just buy out Tachi Palace's fly weight class

But I see it not happening till 2012

There may not be any Flyweight fights in the UFC at all until 2012, let alone buying out an entire organizations flyweight class in the next 6 months. Don't break the limb you're going out on!
DeadHead988
6/9/11 8:55:38PM
Within three years I'll be fighting for them at flyweight- guarantee
bjj1605
6/9/11 10:15:25PM
These will be my designated bathroom break fights. Like the women's fights were in strikeforce. I'll watch them, as long as I don't have to pee or get a snack.

I'm not excited about this at all. Flyweight is not exciting. There are very few finishes. It's like watching children fight.

This is just going to add to an already crowded roster. I'd rather these fights time slots be saved for the established weight classes which are already bursting at the seams.
40ouncetpkid
6/10/11 12:53:37AM
I actually have a mixed reaction about this. I mean I love fights period. But I don't know how the casuals will react to this. Could a 125lb title fight actually main event? I'd actually rather them add the ladies division. I actually enjoy watching Chris Cyborg, Gina Carano, Coenen, and Meisha tate.

But then again 125 is what Gamboa is at in boxing and he's probably the most explosive exciting boxer on the planet. So I think their's some potential for some big stars. We'll just have to wait and see. Just never really found the name "flyweight" really attractive.
jae_1833
6/10/11 1:17:10AM
Great news!! I hope that if Florian's run doesn't work out he doesn't continue dropping weight in hunt of an illusive title. He's going to disappear soon!!
Budgellism
6/10/11 2:58:08AM
Love the little guys
tallica62
6/10/11 9:11:26AM
sweet...not that i ever will, but finally a weight division I could fight in and not got murdered in 20 seconds.... no one will understand unless u know me, and 99% of you don't know me...so this was irrelevant and I wasted your time..sorry
pmoney
6/10/11 9:44:50AM
I am stoked they are bringing flyweights. I understand the concern some have over finishes, but you never know what can happen! Look at Young Guns KO'ing Ken Stone from guard. That was sick, and they are 135lbs. Mamoru Yamaguchi just KO'ed Kevin Dunsmoor at the latest Tachi Palace Fights event (it's in the video's section of the playground), and they are flyweights.

My moral... Don't take a bathroom break on anybody! The last break I took while a fight was starting was Brilz-Matyushenko. Buffer was announcing, and I said "**** I have like at least 15 minutes before the decision" and as I am walking out of the bathroom zipping up my fly, I am watching the replay of Brilz getting KO'ed
emfleek
6/10/11 9:46:57AM

Posted by pmoney

My moral... Don't take a bathroom break on anybody! The last break I took while a fight was starting was Brilz-Matyushenko. Buffer was announcing, and I said "**** I have like at least 15 minutes before the decision" and as I am walking out of the bathroom zipping up my fly, I am watching the replay of Brilz getting KO'ed

The last time I did it, Hamill knocked Munoz's block off.
pmoney
6/10/11 10:14:51AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by pmoney

The last time I did it, Hamill knocked Munoz's block off.

Oh man! I am a huge fan of Hamill's, so I didn't miss that one. But I did not expect him to win like that, or necessarily at all. It's so funny how he has that highlight and yet I want to say he has virtually no stand up to speak of....
Bubbles
6/10/11 2:41:50PM

Posted by bjj1605

These will be my designated bathroom break fights. Like the women's fights were in strikeforce. I'll watch them, as long as I don't have to pee or get a snack.

I'm not excited about this at all. Flyweight is not exciting. There are very few finishes. It's like watching children fight.

This is just going to add to an already crowded roster. I'd rather these fights time slots be saved for the established weight classes which are already bursting at the seams.

i agree with your last 2 paragraphs
bjj1605
6/10/11 5:33:23PM
To clarify, I don't walk out on any fights. I'll watch them. But if I'm watching a couple of light heavies and I know the 125ers are up next, I'll hold it till they come up.