Dana White: Since 2006, the UFC has made millionaires out of 40 fighters (Video)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dana White: Since 2006, the UFC has made millionaires out of 40 fighters (Video)
Budgellism
11/7/11 11:46:51AM
"From 2001-2006, we were almost $50 million in the hole. Over that time, not one fighter ever got paid late, no check bounced, no employee at Zuffa, ever. The Fertitta brothers funded this thing for that long. In 2006 we started turning a profit. From 2006-2011, I can't remember what the number is, but it's like 40-something millionaires. 40-something millionaires, 20-something multi, multimillionaires and the list goes on and on. That's from 2006-2011. Boxing's been around for 100 years. It was a mainstream sport before there was television. What we've been able to do, in that much time, is pretty phenomenal."

-Dana White

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
11/7/11 11:58:51AM
But some guys are still just making a couple thousand dollars a fight.
Budgellism
11/7/11 12:03:15PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

That's going to be a given though. Especially early in a guy's career. With Zuffa introducing their health plan it really makes fighting for only a few thousand dollars a lot easier. We'll see this change as well though. The UFC has only been making a profit for 5 years now. It's pretty damn impressive to be able to pay some of the guys what they do now.
prophecy033
11/7/11 1:24:26PM
These guys make better money now then they ever have in this sport, and Zuffa realized that they needed to start supporting these guys because at the end of the day, their the ones that make the sport what it is. If you don't take care of your guys, their gonna go elsewhere and that could be a problem down the road. At the end of the day, we all ask ourselves "can I support my family working where I'm working"? Most these guys can reply "yes, yes I can".
Twenty20Dollars
11/7/11 2:11:56PM
I would like to see at least the show pay for every fight be at least 5-10k, then win bonus would double that.

Downes only made a couple grand, but that still might have been from his Zuffa/WEC contract, but idk.
Geoffo
11/7/11 3:09:11PM

They also get money from media exposure, sponsorships and what not.
Twenty20Dollars
11/7/11 3:29:44PM

Posted by Geoffo

They also get money from media exposure, sponsorships and what not.

Idk how much or how little that can be.

I would like to see the avg money made in a year by mma fighters.
jae_1833
11/7/11 10:28:25PM
Just like all athletes they have agents/managers that handle all that stuff for the fighter. If he isn't getting paid enough then he can pull a Mitrione and just fire them.
bjj1605
11/9/11 11:09:27AM

I would like to see at least the show pay for every fight be at least 5-10k, then win bonus would double that.

Downes only made a couple grand, but that still might have been from his Zuffa/WEC contract, but idk.

I agree. People seem to assume that fighters are making tons of money off sponsorships. This is true only for the really big names.

Would you pay Downes thousands of dollars to promote your product? Or would you rather give that money to Brock Lesnar?

Edit: I also totally get what Dana is saying though. We're asking a very young sport to pay what much older sports pay. They've done an amazing job considering. There are many people who's lives are better off now than they would have been with out Dana White and the UFC.