Dana White: It's time to get Jake Shields in the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Dana White: It's time to get Jake Shields in the UFC
miphi1991
4/21/10 11:16:04AM
Dana White: It's time to get Jake Shields in the UFC

Dana White confirmed today his interest in seeing Strikeforce middleweight champion fighting in the UFC.
TheGodfather1024
4/21/10 11:39:03AM
I honestly don't think Shields would be all that great in the UFC. I mean Henderson looked like he took the fight lightly and thats what happens when you do. Shields would be better off at WW then at MW.
TheGodfather1024
4/21/10 11:39:59AM
But it would be awesome if he did come to the UFC. There is not a lot of competition left for him at SF.
BigIP
4/21/10 12:14:18PM
I honestly don't think he could beat Jon Fitch or Alves. Then again I didn't think he could beat Robbie or Hendo...javascript:Emote('');
MisterFreeze
4/21/10 12:17:21PM

Posted by TheGodfather1024

I honestly don't think Shields would be all that great in the UFC. I mean Henderson looked like he took the fight lightly and thats what happens when you do. Shields would be better off at WW then at MW.

I don't know if Jake Shields could make WW. His frame looks pretty dense with muscle as it is. I think dropping the weight needed would be too much for him to fight effectively at that weight.
MaxOne
4/21/10 12:20:21PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by TheGodfather1024

I don't know if Jake Shields could make WW. His frame looks pretty dense with muscle as it is. I think dropping the weight needed would be too much for him to fight effectively at that weight.

He looked bigger than he has ever looked against Hendo. He might not be able to get back down to 170 & still be at his best.

I want him to stay in strikeforce. I hope they can hang on to him.
AchillesHeel
4/21/10 12:22:09PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Shields spent most of his career at Welterweight, although it's possible that cutting weight will get tougher as he gets older.
prozacnation1978
4/21/10 12:25:51PM
I hope they get him as well
Does he get a instant title shot

Or winner of kos/daley. Or a sanchez
grappler0000
4/21/10 12:41:13PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I hope they get him as well
Does he get a instant title shot

Or winner of kos/daley. Or a sanchez

Supposedly, winner of kos/daley will be doing TUF with GSP. If they actually secure Jake, that could all change though.
jae_1833
4/21/10 12:59:48PM
I totally agree with Dana...it's time for Jake in the UFC! He looks great at WW or MW, his wrestling is way above par and his boxing is pretty good too, he has been improving his sub defense and his kick game as well. I think he would be fighting at WW in the UFC and would do very well.
I think this is also Dana helping Jake get mad $$ out of SF because Jake helped out on TUF and because Dana just wants to see the kid get paid well and for SF to have to shell out as much as possible in the hopes that it will damage their finances.
jahdoug
4/21/10 1:45:52PM

Posted by jae_1833

I think this is also Dana helping Jake get mad $$ out of SF because Jake helped out on TUF and because Dana just wants to see the kid get paid well and for SF to have to shell out as much as possible in the hopes that it will damage their finances.

Thats a great point...Win Win for Dana because he'll either get Shields or make SF break the bank and risk their promotion on one fighter (ehhheemm EliteXC)
icantthinkofanything
4/21/10 2:06:17PM
Although Jake looks bigger, I think he can still make ww, because he prolly walks around at 185 .
I knew he would beat Hendo, but thought it would be a lot harder than it was in actuality.
Even if he does fight at mw, he will do well. He has already beat two top 10 mw's, which is only matched by Chael right now, who beat Nate and Yushin.(obv. Anderson has beat alot of top mw's) The way he beat a great wrestler like Hendo, shows he can prolly beat the rest besides Anderson.
I hope his first fight is at ww vs. GSP, than we can see if he can sub GSP off his back.
Giant_Ochai
4/21/10 2:33:53PM
Is there an actual reliable source for this other than a website that is horrible and hadn't been updated for 16 days?
emfleek
4/21/10 2:46:08PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Is there an actual reliable source for this other than a website that is horrible and hadn't been updated for 16 days?

Agreed. Please only post News items from reputable sources.

Locked. Moved. Thanks.