Dana White: 'I always thought Melvin Guillard was the biggest waste of talent'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: 'I always thought Melvin Guillard was the biggest waste of talent'
SmileR
10/4/11 12:06:14PM
"I like Melvin and I like how he’s training hard. I always thought he was the biggest waste of talent and he really turned that around and I’m happy to see it. There’s so many good guys in that 155 pound division, we’re trying to figure out who’s next. That division is so stacked and there’s so many good fights to make. I’m excited to see him in there with Lauzon. If he beats Lauzon, it’s gonna be interesting to see who we end up pitting together to fight for the title next."

Link
Twenty20Dollars
10/4/11 12:16:10PM
Just shows you that you have to have the mental part of fighting down as well as the skill.

I think it's good Guillard is getting it together, but I also think it's because he is maturing as well, not young and making mistakes and training with good talent.
babalu46
10/4/11 12:34:11PM
I think Guillard is going to beat Lauzon at the weekend. Nothing against Lauzon because he's a great fighter but Guillard has dynamite in his hands and I think has the wrestling to stop the takedowns of Lauzon.

It's good to see he's finally putting it all together and making sure everybody takes note of his name.
kingsmasher
10/4/11 1:01:12PM
I would put the house up on Guillard possibly hurting Lauzon..Guillard got subbed when he wasnt training like he is now...He would go out partying and all...Well thats what he said before..but we will see..
airkerma
10/4/11 1:52:33PM
I think a round 1 ko by Guillard sounds about right for this one.
Randall
10/4/11 2:12:21PM
He may have refined his talent some but Guillard's attitude still sucks.
FastKnockout
10/4/11 2:17:32PM
I'd feel so stupid if Lauzon managed to catch him in a submission, but I gotta go with Guillard. Just think he will come out with that dynamite and end it early.
Poor_Franklin
10/4/11 2:23:33PM
Dana's not the only one. i hate to hear him talk, but love to watch him fight
Theoutlaw08
10/4/11 3:12:09PM
I think he KO's Lauzon in the first few minutes and then he needs a higher ranked opponent.
underclasshero4
10/4/11 3:16:34PM
New camp for Guillard has not let him down yet. I feel a 2nd rd KO. In his last fight he was a little sloppy trying to set up that KO punch. He might want to work on that.
Kpro
10/4/11 3:28:18PM
Every time he won even when he was a "waste of talent" he thanked God, so I don't think it was a mental issue before, I think maybe God just forgot to buy tickets to the event on nights he lost.

Hopefully no one takes offense to this as it's just humor. My calendar says 2011.
cowcatcher
10/4/11 4:02:59PM

Posted by Kpro

My calendar says 2011.

emfleek
10/4/11 4:05:32PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I'd feel so stupid if Lauzon managed to catch him in a submission

I wouldn't feel stupid. In fact, I doubt I'd feel much of anything since I'd likely let out such a high pitch schoolgirl scream that it would cause my heart to skip a beat, possibly causing me to faint, hit my head on the coffee table and knock myself out.

By the way...WAR J-LAU!

40ouncetpkid
10/4/11 4:22:00PM
I think this is gonna be a sick fight for as long as it lasts but just cant see it ending other then jlo dropping to a huge counter punch. Guillard is gonna be tough as hell to beat since hes been getting better and better, If he wins this nobody can say he hasnt faced the style that could beat him.
scoozna
10/4/11 4:37:34PM

Posted by Randall

He may have refined his talent some but Guillard's attitude still sucks.

How do you figure?
Twenty20Dollars
10/4/11 4:41:18PM
To add to what I said earlier, he was young and probably relied more on just talent and training in more areas.
KungFuMaster
10/4/11 6:05:05PM
I think it's all about being serious and dedicating yourself to the sport.

Guillard does have potential and I just don't think he was training effectively in the past. By effectively, I mean studying your opponents and training yourself to beat your opponent and not just training mma on a regular schedule to stay sharp and in shape.

Guillard has great attributes like strength, speed, and wrestling. The key component to his short comings in the past is probably the lack of dedication to the sport. He probably does mma on the side and only trains a little bit before a fight. If he can dedicate himself to the sport and not treat it like it is just a gig, then I can see big things happening in the near future. But at the same time, I cannot help but wonder how many precious years of training he has already lost. I don't know much about him but I am guessing he has virtually no Jiu Jitsu in his arsenal of offense or defense.

IMO, Guillard has been getting by in mma with his raw natural talents e.g. speed, strength, size and youth. He will do well with the current roster but I think it may be a little too late for the young assassin to shine as this article suggested.
prozacnation1978
10/4/11 8:41:52PM
Melvin got his act together, changed camps for the better
Good for him!!! Hope he gets a title shot in 2012
deck15
10/4/11 9:23:22PM
He's never beat anyone with good bjj and I don't think he's going to start anytime soon he says he's been working mostly striking.
ghandikush
10/4/11 9:38:59PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Melvin got his act together, changed camps for the better
Good for him!!! Hope he gets a title shot in 2012

He has never beat a top guy except Roller whos style was made for him and Dunham was never a proven top. I dont know why people cant see that he has been intentionally given people to outclass so he can either put asses in seats in his title shot or get beaten by a top guy who will then put asses in seats because he beat a "top talent" in Melvin.

He is good but vastly overhyped.
Poor_Franklin
10/4/11 11:15:18PM
i think it's funny that he is in arguably the most stacked division in the ufc & some argue that a win over Joe Lauzon would make him deserving of a title shot. 5 wins is a big run, but the level of talent of those guys isn't exactly the top tier of the LW division

Bubbles
10/4/11 11:30:01PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i think it's funny that he is in arguably the most stacked division in the ufc & some argue that a win over Joe Lauzon would make him deserving of a title shot. 5 wins is a big run, but the level of talent of those guys isn't exactly the top tier of the LW division

its the Jim Miller hype. a bunch of wins over decent but not great fighters. sell it to the casual fan that this guy is on a X fight win streak and has cleaned out his path to the title.
Pookie
10/5/11 12:05:58AM
Lauzon is a handful for anyone in the 1rst round. I'm interested in that the most.
pmoney
10/6/11 2:03:39PM

Posted by Kpro

Every time he won even when he was a "waste of talent" he thanked God, so I don't think it was a mental issue before, I think maybe God just forgot to buy tickets to the event on nights he lost.

This is definitely a case of God playing favorites. Clearly God likes Nate Diaz more than Melvin Guillard

Sometimes God wants you to beat some ass, sometimes he wants you to get your ass beat. There's nothing more humbling, really!