Dana Talks UFC 99, 100, More

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana Talks UFC 99, 100, More
DCRage
2/20/09 11:10:32AM
In an interview in the UK earlier today, Dana White discussed some of the many plans in the works for UFC 99 & 100 later this year. They include GSP vs. Thiago Alves, possibly BJ Penn vs. Kenny Florian for the UFC Lightweight Title and Ryoto (Lyoto) Machida finally getting his Light Heavyweight Title shot.

Article
Wolfenstein
2/20/09 2:02:09PM
So far the matchups sound good. I'm assuming the 3rd major fight will probably be Quinton vs Rashad (assuming Quinton wins at UFC 96).

As always it appears Lyoto is the odd man out. There's just absolutely no LHW's out there to match him up with. It could easilly be six months before he gets another fight. I'd really like to see him fight more than twice a year. I suppose Brandon Vera is a possibility, should he win his next bout impressively...which shouldn't be too difficult.

I think it would be a better move to eliminate the catchweight bout that does nothing for either fighter since they're going to be in different divisions (Franklin vs Wanderlei). Make it Machida vs Franklin and Wanderlei vs Yushin Okami or Alan Belcher. There's talk of Anderson taking his next bout at 205, so Okami could also be sitting out for a while. I'm all for making exciting matchups, but it's coming at the expense of other fighters not being able to get any fights.
motorboatensob
2/20/09 2:56:56PM
So Rampage might not be fighting for the title next if he wins. As far as Okami goes they can keep pushing that fight off. IMO he is just like the Dragon a slow paced boring fighter and that is why it is taking so long for them both to get a title shot. You might be a great fighter but if you can't finish a fight why would the UFC want to risk you getting the belt and then getting a decision everytime you fight.
higdon10
2/20/09 3:53:14PM
99 and 100 are gonna be sweet!!!
DCRage
2/20/09 4:56:12PM

Posted by motorboatensob

So Rampage might not be fighting for the title next if he wins. As far as Okami goes they can keep pushing that fight off. IMO he is just like the Dragon a slow paced boring fighter and that is why it is taking so long for them both to get a title shot. You might be a great fighter but if you can't finish a fight why would the UFC want to risk you getting the belt and then getting a decision everytime you fight.

Rampage WILL be next barring an unforeseen...well...Rampage. If Jardine loses then Machida should get his shot, but I'm not banking on it.
JimiMak
2/20/09 10:10:32PM
Machida SHOULD get this fight. He's far more deserving than anyone else. He just got a good ko. I do think he's more likely to finish Rampage than Rashad, but he deserves the title shot.