Dana – “If Sylvia wants to end his career in UFC he has to go on TUF”

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana – “If Sylvia wants to end his career in UFC he has to go on TUF”
slapshot
6/16/09 3:07:38PM
Former two time UFC chmpion Tim Sylvia (24-5) recently talked to Fighters Only Magazine expressing interest that he would like to end his career with the UFC. However when the 33-year-old Maine-iac squared off against legendary Mercer, 48, in a mixed martial arts encounter that formed part of the Adrenaline III show in Birmingham, Alabama. Sylvia was knocked out 9 seconds into the bout by an overhand right which left the former champion on the canvas, forcing the referee to call an end to the bout. The president of the UFC, Dana white was vocal on his thoughts regarding Sylvia’s comments on returning to the UFC:

“Are you kidding me, he seriously wants to return to the UFC?” asked White “He hasn’t won a fight in years and when he did he usually put eveyone to sleep, the only time he’s in an exciting fight is when he’s getting his [expletive] ass handed to him. Look, he just got beat by a near 50 year old in under 10 [expletive] seconds, how do you expect to be taken seriously after that? he just made MMA look like a complete joke. If he has any hopes of ending his career in (the) UFC he will have to go on TUF, there’s no other way he’s getting in”
Link
MMAcca
6/16/09 3:08:32PM
Brilliant!
emfleek
6/16/09 3:09:02PM

Posted by slapshot

Former two time UFC chmpion Tim Sylvia (24-5) recently talked to Fighters Only Magazine expressing interest that he would like to end his career with the UFC. However when the 33-year-old Maine-iac squared off against legendary Mercer, 48, in a mixed martial arts encounter that formed part of the Adrenaline III show in Birmingham, Alabama. Sylvia was knocked out 9 seconds into the bout by an overhand right which left the former champion on the canvas, forcing the referee to call an end to the bout. The president of the UFC, Dana white was vocal on his thoughts regarding Sylvia’s comments on returning to the UFC:

“Are you kidding me, he seriously wants to return to the UFC?” asked White “He hasn’t won a fight in years and when he did he usually put eveyone to sleep, the only time he’s in an exciting fight is when he’s getting his [expletive] ass handed to him. Look, he just got beat by a near 50 year old in under 10 [expletive] seconds, how do you expect to be taken seriously after that? he just made MMA look like a complete joke. If he has any hopes of ending his career in (the) UFC he will have to go on TUF, there’s no other way he’s getting in”
Link

Props to Dana. I totally agree and was just thinking the very same thing yesterday.

Timmeh needs to re-dedicate himself.
DevonFoxy
6/16/09 3:12:09PM
I remember alot of people being upset with the UFC for letting Tim go because the Heavyweight division was so bare but honestly it looks like the UFC made a great buisness move in the money aspect. He was looking for big bucks and the UFC didn't give it to him and it looks like it may have been the right move on the UFC's part.
Twenty20Dollars
6/16/09 3:16:11PM
What are the odds of TUF doing another HW season? Signed up through 14 seasons and doing 10 now.

Personally I dont want to see Sylvia in the UFC again, he's not knocking people out like he used too and his skills arent getting any better.
bojangalz
6/16/09 3:25:47PM
I say squeeze him in to this season yet. He can KO Kimbo, then get KTFO'd by some other can. And that guy can be beat by Roy Nelson. Final nail in both coffins, problem solved.
slapshot
6/16/09 3:30:10PM
I think it would be great if they could get him this season but I think they may have already started filming it. LOL Kimbo Vs Sylvia would be interesting. Honestly the more I think about it, I would rather see Tyson give it a go.

I think that Tim has always been the kind of guy that will never reach his potential, I would not even be surprised if he didn't train for the mercer fight.
Kpro
6/16/09 3:33:50PM

Posted by slapshot

I think it would be great if they could get him this season but I think they may have already started filming it. LOL Kimbo Vs Sylvia would be interesting.

yeah they're 2 weeks in, and he probably just earned himself 60 days with no fights with that KO.
TNPanther78
6/16/09 3:56:49PM
He won't even make it out of TUF!IMO
whodat
6/16/09 3:58:59PM
If Tim Sylvia actually wanted to he could easily win a heavyweight season of TUF. Although a guy like him would probably never consider it because of his pride.
emfleek
6/16/09 4:01:26PM

Posted by TNPanther78

Maybe not this season but he'd easily win if it was your 'typical' season with the 'typical' cast.
TNPanther78
6/16/09 4:05:32PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by TNPanther78

Maybe not this season but he'd easily win if it was your 'typical' season with the 'typical' cast.

Agreed thats what I meant, the next season will be amazing!
GSPCanada
6/16/09 6:46:54PM
Dana White is starting to get on my nerves with his constant fighter bashing when the guy has never been in a professional bout and sports a gut. first off tim sylvia was the ufc champ and the top contender for a long time and when your the top contender you face stiff competition and its harder to finsih guys. I dont like tim sylvia, k nobody does, but to say tim sylvia needs to go on tuf is just disrespectful consuidering sylvia helped build the ufc, whats dana white thinking? tim sylvia embarassed mma...no u embarassed mma when brock lesnar co-headlined a main event and got tapped out in 90 seconds and 9 months later is fighting for the title after winning a decision in his 2nd mma bout. Look at the two guys he's got headlining the upcoming card guida vs sanchez both great fighters...but when was the last time they finished anyone with talent? and dana says tim hasnt been finishing guys like he used to. absolute worst statement I've ever heard Tim sylvia could probably beat couture when hes healthy, was well on his way to beating nougeira, and if he actually uses his takedown defense he could have a good chance of beating lesnar n mir, those are the top 4 guys in the ufc hw division

go put tim sylvia up against velasquez and tell me if hes not good enough to be in the ufc without going on tuf
prozacnation1978
6/16/09 11:24:43PM
this is what u get for years of service helping put ufc on the map timmy
no gold star, no watch, u get to be on tuf in a couple years
cmill21
6/16/09 11:31:47PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

this is what u get for years of service helping put ufc on the map timmy
no gold star, no watch, u get to be on tuf in a couple years

Exactly my thoughts.
slapshot
6/16/09 11:43:52PM
I would actually have to side with Dana on Tim.
-Detroit-
6/17/09 1:09:17AM
A lot of people don't like Dana, but the man speaks the truth.
RearNakedJoke
6/17/09 1:24:42AM

he just made MMA look like a complete joke

just? the man made acareer of making mma look like a joke.

he will have to go on TUF, there’s no other way he’s getting in

so they plan on doing another season of light weights? THAT is the only way he's getting back in.
whardin19
6/17/09 7:40:50AM
Tim really f'ed up his career with that Mercer fight.
Manfred
6/17/09 8:54:32AM
Wow, people are really coming down on Timmeh. It wasn't too long ago that people thought he'd be champ for a long time with his "sprawl 'n stall" style.

He made some enemies with his boring fights and that killed him with Dana. He was dropping guys left and right before he got the title. He was too concerned with losing it.

I never liked him, but telling a two-time champ who's tied for the HW most defenses, that he has to do TUF, seems over the top.

No way he's going to accept TUF. Then again, I never thought Kimbo would.
emfleek
6/17/09 9:25:59AM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

he just made MMA look like a complete joke

just? the man made acareer of making mma look like a joke.

That's a bit over the top, don't you think?

You don't win the HW title in the UFC by "making MMA look like a joke"...whatever that's supposed to mean.