Dana: Machida Is Silva's Successor

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana: Machida Is Silva's Successor
DCRage
12/4/08 12:14:11PM
Apparently being boring doesn't work against you if you can get the job done. In a recent interview with Sensei SporTV via TATAME, Dana White says that should Anderson Silva retire as planned, Lyoto Machida could become the best P4P fighter in the world.

Article
gartface
12/4/08 12:28:46PM
I agree. The guy's style(which I like) is one that's very unusual. He is so elusive to where he doesn't take much punishment, and when he hits you, you feel it. Ask Tito. Because of his style, he's a bad match up for anyone.
bullettdodger
12/4/08 12:31:13PM
I'm a Machida nuthugger... so.... I usually try to refrain from giving my opinion on him, But if Dana is saying all this how come he hasn't got a title shot. Whatever I am actually more excited to finally see this Thiago Silva match up than I would be if Machida was fighting for a strap. It'll be awesome to finally see this fight.
Sir_Karl
12/4/08 12:50:35PM
I agree, I have been saying Machida is the chit in the LW division for awhile now.
I don't see any Light Heavyweights beating him.
MMAcca
12/4/08 1:20:47PM

Posted by bullettdodger

I'm a Machida nuthugger... so.... I usually try to refrain from giving my opinion on him, But if Dana is saying all this how come he hasn't got a title shot. Whatever I am actually more excited to finally see this Thiago Silva match up than I would be if Machida was fighting for a strap. It'll be awesome to finally see this fight.

Machida will rule the MMA world one day....
Wolfenstein
12/4/08 1:31:11PM
I was also surprised by Dana's thoughts on Lyoto. If it's really what he thinks, then give him some more fights and better oppostion so he can prove what many already know in the MMA world...that this guy's a top ten p4p fighter, and possibly #1 if he can get the right fights to showcase his skills.

jocka
12/4/08 2:01:41PM
I ve always been a fan and i tottaly agree with Dana one he will be the best
Pyrenus
12/4/08 2:23:10PM
If Dana thinks so highly of him, why can't the guy get a title shot?
theguido
12/4/08 2:51:47PM
I seem to be alone on this one. But I'm just not certain that he is the best p4p maybe it's that I haven't seen enoufgh of him or that I'm not a huge fan of his elusive style(which he uses beautifly). I just can't put him at the top till I see him against some top competition on a steady basis.
motorboatensob
12/4/08 4:03:30PM
I thought in order to be the best p4p fighter in the world you had to fight the best Machida hasn't come close to doing that. One fight with Wandy would change all that talk. With Wandys' aggressive still he would take Machida out in the first round.
JimiMak
12/4/08 4:46:08PM

Posted by motorboatensob

I thought in order to be the best p4p fighter in the world you had to fight the best Machida hasn't come close to doing that. One fight with Wandy would change all that talk. With Wandys' aggressive still he would take Machida out in the first round.

hahaha, you don't know anything about what Machida's style. Wandy is the kind of fighter he has for lunch, and I'm a huge Wandy fan, but if you push the pace w/ Machida he kills you. The more aggressive fighters you see him gettting the more finishes he'll have. He makes the best guys in the world look like amateurs "I'll hit you all night, and maybe finish you maybe not, but you won't touch me the whole time" How is that the most humiliating way to defeat someone? A fighter like Wandy will only solidify him as top p4p.
GrandMaster313
12/4/08 4:50:57PM
I would like to see Machida Vs. Rashad Evans
prozacnation1978
12/4/08 11:22:41PM
if dana is kissing his butt so much give him his title shot already i know he wants his new bff forrest to protect now that his old bff lidell is almost done in his career stop protecting your favorites already
Drudinh
12/5/08 4:44:03AM

Posted by GrandMaster313

I would like to see Machida Vs. Rashad Evans

I wanted this before Evans got a chance at a title shot with Forrest
jakeiceman
12/5/08 6:33:21AM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by motorboatensob

hahaha, you don't know anything about what Machida's style. Wandy is the kind of fighter he has for lunch, and I'm a huge Wandy fan, but if you push the pace w/ Machida he kills you. The more aggressive fighters you see him gettting the more finishes he'll have. He makes the best guys in the world look like amateurs "I'll hit you all night, and maybe finish you maybe not, but you won't touch me the whole time" How is that the most humiliating way to defeat someone? A fighter like Wandy will only solidify him as top p4p.

Yeah how dare you voice your opinion.....us simple folks can't grasp how great of a fighter Lyoto is

Seriously though, who has Lyoto faced that warrants him even being discussed as P4P?? Its already been proven that Soko was a fluke, obviously this is why he was cut. And Tito is nowhere near being considered a feared striker by any means. So how can you say that a guy that is fast and throws BOMBS like Wandy can't beat him?? I think everyone is just on the Lyoto bandwagon. I think he is great and has talent out the wazoo but he is untested and I'm tired of hearing how you must not be a "true MMA fan" if you dont like his style or think he is gods gift to combat sports.
EvenFlow
12/5/08 6:41:25AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by motorboatensob

Yeah how dare you voice your opinion.....us simple folks can't grasp how great of a fighter Lyoto is

Seriously though, who has Lyoto faced that warrants him even being discussed as P4P?? Its already been proven that Soko was a fluke, obviously this is why he was cut. And Tito is nowhere near being considered a feared striker by any means. So how can you say that a guy that is fast and throws BOMBS like Wandy can't beat him?? I think everyone is just on the Lyoto bandwagon. I think he is great and has talent out the wazoo but he is untested and I'm tired of hearing how you must not be a "true MMA fan" if you dont like his style or think he is gods gift to combat sports.

you dont have to be a fan of a fighter to appreciate their style (or at least tolerate it without complaining) for example im not a fan of barnett but i understand his style is very effective, hes in the top 10 for a reason and lyoto is #3 for a reason as well bro hes effective period, just so i make myself clear again you DONT have to be a fan of a fighter to appreciate a style of fighting, its mma for a reason ya know
jakeiceman
12/5/08 6:45:32AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by motorboatensob

you dont have to be a fan of a fighter to appreciate their style (or at least tolerate it without complaining) for example im not a fan of barnett but i understand his style is very effective, hes in the top 10 for a reason and lyoto is #3 for a reason as well bro hes effective period, just so i make myself clear again you DONT have to be a fan of a fighter to appreciate a style of fighting, its mma for a reason ya know

I completely agree with you. I can't stand watching him....I think he is boring.....BUT I have to respect his style because obviously he wins. I was just saying that every time someone says he is boring or untested, the hippies jump out of the trees and pretty much say that you are stupid and must not appreciate what a "true" fighter is/should be. Rock on Machida, I wish you well, I just think that all of the hype ends sooner than later

EDIT: How is it complaining when you voice your opinion? Is'nt the point of a forum to discuss your POV? So I wouldn't say "complaining" is the best choice of words.......bro...
EvenFlow
12/5/08 7:00:43AM
Complaining about his style is complaining all the same opinion or not but whatever ya know. Yeah its within your right not like the guys style but when ppl bash on Machida its usually some ridiculous nonsense about how he sucks and is overrated and its just not true, as mma fans we should appreciate every facet even if we dont come around right away but again if you dont like the guys style perfectly okay jake.
ianinspain
12/5/08 7:12:11AM
Can you imagine an Evans vs Machinda fight? The fight stats woudl be great - round 1 - punches thrown 5, kicks landed 1, round 2 more of the same!
Machida would be dancing about being illusive and Evans would be busy shaking his hands in an annoying fashion. It could possibly the most boring fight ever.
Alternatively Evans or Machida could knock each other out in a brutal Chuck style but I doubt it.
jakeiceman
12/5/08 7:47:33AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Complaining about his style is complaining all the same opinion or not but whatever ya know. Yeah its within your right not like the guys style but when ppl bash on Machida its usually some ridiculous nonsense about how he sucks and is overrated and its just not true, as mma fans we should appreciate every facet even if we dont come around right away but again if you dont like the guys style perfectly okay jake.

Your being cool man and I do understand what your saying. I just dont think "complaining" is the right choice of words. I get bashed all the time because I'm a huge Liddell fan...and all I hear is that he is "one dimensional" "his career is over" "he sucks and has always been ovverated" The point is is that's thier opinion and they are entitled to it, I dont call them complainers I jump in and mouth off my opinion, thats what makes the discussion fun. But its cool Evenflow were good
jakeiceman
12/5/08 7:51:14AM

Posted by ianinspain

Can you imagine an Evans vs Machinda fight? The fight stats woudl be great - round 1 - punches thrown 5, kicks landed 1, round 2 more of the same!
Machida would be dancing about being illusive and Evans would be busy shaking his hands in an annoying fashion. It could possibly the most boring fight ever.
Alternatively Evans or Machida could knock each other out in a brutal Chuck style but I doubt it.

Oh wait you reminded me that Chuck got KO'D !

Seriously though you voiced my opinon of both of them pretty well.
runningman08
6/21/09 10:35:12PM
Dana just needs to stop bullshiting around and get fedor. Even if silva retires fedor will be best pound for pound if he wasn't already.