Dana's Initial Reaction to Chael Sonnen's Test

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dana's Initial Reaction to Chael Sonnen's Test
gartface
9/20/10 9:41:46AM
“When [a UFC fighter] fails a test, the government is going to fine them and suspend them and tell them they can’t make a living for a year. So should I come in after they’ve already lost the ability to make a living for a year and been fined all this money and, in the worst economic disaster in the history of the world, fine them another huge amount and take away their ability to make a living even longer? These are guys with homes and families and personal lives and bills and debts and obligations, just like me and you. After they lost all this money already, money that, A, they’ve probably already spent and B, which they owe taxes, do I fine them another huge amount? What else do you do to a human being?” - Dana White

Link

I really like this response from Dana. I'm wondering how different his response would have been had he won the title though.
Pskinner_mma314
9/20/10 10:00:44AM
I understand as a man where he's comin from, but on the other end of it, these athletes know what is required and expected of them, and if they can't meet those requirements, then either A) they should be fined and made to deal with the consequences or B) shouldnt be fighting.

Another option is, let him continue to fight with no championship implications for a few years, even if he never loses.
gartface
9/20/10 10:02:45AM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314
Another option is, let him continue to fight with no championship implications for a few years, even if he never loses.

That's an interesting suggestion. Like NCAA sanctions.
Pskinner_mma314
9/20/10 10:05:22AM

Posted by gartface

yeah, but theres too many things that are FUBAR bout the NCAA that I hate comparing it, but yes exactly.
grappler0000
9/20/10 10:12:08AM

I understand as a man where he's comin from, but on the other end of it, these athletes know what is required and expected of them, and if they can't meet those requirements, then either A) they should be fined and made to deal with the consequences or...

He was pointing out that this is already happening though.
Jackelope
9/20/10 11:02:42AM
I think Dana knows a large majority of fighters are on the stuff. Just like the NFL knows. So when this stuff comes out he's going to keep it as low key as possible.

That's what I think. And I honestly can't say it's a terrible policy. There's no way anybody can control it effectively. It's like trying to stop kids from doing drugs or drinking
emfleek
9/20/10 11:07:02AM

Posted by Jackelope

That's what I think. And I honestly can't say it's a terrible policy. There's no way anybody can control it effectively. It's like trying to stop kids from doing drugs or drinking

Bingo. Unless you catch them while they're under the influence, there's really nothing you can do about it.
gartface
9/20/10 1:19:54PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

Bingo. Unless you catch them while they're under the influence, there's really nothing you can do about it.

It's true. I think there's an assumption to be made that a lot of fighters have learned how to properly cycle the PEDs.
jae_1833
9/20/10 4:18:49PM
Bi-monthly random drug tests, and for fighters who the organizational brass deems to be under reasonable suspicion would quickly bring to light a lot (if not most) violators. I just don't think that the UFC is willing to set company growth aside for a few months to focus on the sport in this manner, plus it may actually dip into their profits (which are very substantial). Lastly if they do happen to know of a lot of fighters using banned substances, are they willing to let the sport/organization as a whole take that hit just to keep their honor and integrity in tact? I don't think so highly of anyone to assume that money can't waiver most from their ideals.
gartface
9/20/10 4:27:03PM

Posted by jae_1833

Bi-monthly random drug tests, and for fighters who the organizational brass deems to be under reasonable suspicion would quickly bring to light a lot (if not most) violators. I just don't think that the UFC is willing to set company growth aside for a few months to focus on the sport in this manner, plus it may actually dip into their profits (which are very substantial). Lastly if they do happen to know of a lot of fighters using banned substances, are they willing to let the sport/organization as a whole take that hit just to keep their honor and integrity in tact? I don't think so highly of anyone to assume that money can't waiver most from their ideals.

This seems to be the dilemma that Bud Selig was facing years ago. He wasn't dealing with a budding sport, though he was dealing with a sport that had taken a significant dip in popularity in the country. He turned a blind eye for a long time toward the big baseball stars taking steroids. I guess the main thing that isn't the same in this is the legality of the substances, though baseball still doesn't have a test for HGH.

That's a great point Jae, and I think that the bi-monthly testing would be quite sufficient. I'm sure fighters would still find a way to cycle around this, but it would help weed a lot out, if not influence them to quit.
jae_1833
9/20/10 4:32:26PM
My kids are nuts if they think an ex-doper of my quantity and quality won't catch them and totally crush them for repeating my mistakes! Weed and beer is usually pretty petty (minus idiot frat boys and brain scattered hippies) but that's about a much leniency as they can expect from me. In the military we even routinely catch the spice smokers and process them out, and spice is some fake weed!
BlueSkiesBurn
9/20/10 5:43:12PM

Posted by gartface

yeah, but theres too many things that are FUBAR bout the NCAA that I hate comparing it, but yes exactly.

I'm glad you said that. The NCAA has a severe amount of problems and I don't think their solutions are good ones. What the NCAA does affects people who were, more often than not, not even in High School or had just started, when they issue their penalties.

I don't believe in punishing people who had nothing to do with the crime. It's akin to sentencing a family member to prison because you committed a crime and fled the country.

EDIT: Jae, I am in a fraternity.
seanfu
9/20/10 6:36:59PM

Posted by gartface

“When [a UFC fighter] fails a test, the government is going to fine them and suspend them and tell them they can’t make a living for a year. So should I come in after they’ve already lost the ability to make a living for a year and been fined all this money and, in the worst economic disaster in the history of the world, fine them another huge amount and take away their ability to make a living even longer? These are guys with homes and families and personal lives and bills and debts and obligations, just like me and you. After they lost all this money already, money that, A, they’ve probably already spent and B, which they owe taxes, do I fine them another huge amount? What else do you do to a human being?” - Dana White

Link

I really like this response from Dana. I'm wondering how different his response would have been had he won the title though.

I have a translation "Sonnen has a lot of hype coming with a rematch so we're going to limit him to fighting the average amount of times a champion does per year.
BeeR
9/20/10 7:48:50PM
Dana has always given guys a second chance when they fail drug tests, people **** up, I dont think he's giving any special treatment at all. hell he brought Karo back 2 or 3 times, he had no hype at all....
jae_1833
9/20/10 10:27:23PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

and yet I've never heard of you being referred to as an idiot.....weird? I'm not trying to stereotype to hard and call fraternity members idiots, you know who I am referring to.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/20/10 10:40:37PM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

and yet I've never heard of you being referred to as an idiot.....weird? I'm not trying to stereotype to hard and call fraternity members idiots, you know who I am referring to.

You weren't listening in on the phone call where I told my mom I got a DUI on Wednesday then....
Jackelope
9/20/10 10:53:07PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

You weren't listening in on the phone call where I told my mom I got a DUI on Wednesday then....

Wait... you're saying you just got a DUI last Wednesday? Ouch But aren't you trying to become a lawyer? On the bright side I thought that getting a DUI was practically mandatory for anybody who wants to get into law these days
BlueSkiesBurn
9/20/10 10:54:58PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Wait... you're saying you just got a DUI last Wednesday? Ouch But aren't you trying to become a lawyer? On the bright side I thought that getting a DUI was practically mandatory for anybody who wants to get into law these days

Yeah, unfortunately. They got me after I'd parked in front of my house and was exiting the car. Blew a .14

The good news is that Emelio Estevez got a DUI while he was practicing law and they let him off the hook as long as he coached District 5. There's hope for me still.
Jackelope
9/20/10 10:59:47PM
Ouch dude. I never, ever, ever want to get one of those. I don't mess around and drive drunk but I'm sure there have been times in the past where I thought I was good and probably wasn't
BlueSkiesBurn
9/20/10 11:03:23PM
Yeah, it was a really stupid thing to do and I've been kicking myself ever since, but it's a learning lesson in life. Bad things will happen, but it's how you deal with them and what you learn from the experience.
jae_1833
9/20/10 11:06:12PM
Well Blue....just because I've never heard it doesn't mean it isn't true..... DUIs are dumb but your a big boy and can deal with the punishment yourself, you don't need us for that.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/20/10 11:07:24PM
Haha, thanks buddy. I'll be good.
gartface
9/21/10 8:18:56AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Yeah, unfortunately. They got me after I'd parked in front of my house and was exiting the car. Blew a .14

The good news is that Emelio Estevez got a DUI while he was practicing law and they let him off the hook as long as he coached District 5. There's hope for me still.

Hahaha I have to spread the love Gordon Bombay.