Should Dana ease up on Fedor?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should Dana ease up on Fedor?
Next Page »
POLL: Should Dana White be more flexible in trying to sign Fedor?
Yes. It's freakin' Fedor, man! 68% (48)
No. It would set a bad precedent. 25% (18)
(Other.) 7% (5)
AchillesHeel
7/27/07 10:58:31AM
So it seems that Dana White's negotiations with Fedor Emelianenko have hit a snag. His insistence that fighters sign exclusive deals with the UFC (that is, they can't fight in other promotions during the length of the contract) appears to be preventing a deal.

Fedor's manager, Vadim Finkelstein, in an interview with Sherdog.com:

"At the moment we are in negotiations with a number of organizations who have put offers on the table. I'll be blunt in saying that the UFC offer is the most financially attractive one. However they are very harsh in their terms and are not very flexible in actually negotiating them.

[...]we are faced with a blunt 'you are either in or you're out.' This does not really suit us. If the negotiations continue in a similar manner, we'll prefer to fight for less money but with an organization which is more flexible.

Fedor must represent Russia in Combat Sambo and at world championships, specifically the ones coming up in September. All we want him to do is compete something like once a year in Combat Sambo. But the UFC is not happy with that.

Their proposal has all kinds of clauses, all kinds of fines etc. that do not suit us. The UFC is not really that eager to communicate and negotiate. The negotiations are still continuing, and we will try very hard to get our demands met, if not Fedor will simply not compete in the UFC, even though that will be unfortunate as they currently have one of the, if not the, strongest, heavyweight divisions in the world."

For his part, Dana seems to think Fedor's manager(s) "are freakin' morons" and such. This could just be negotiating tactics, by either side. We may never know for sure.

Do you think Dana should be more flexible, to get Fedor to sign with the UFC?
wilwith1l
7/27/07 11:01:30AM
Dana knows Fedor is the best fighter to walk the Earth. He wants to lock it down. Can't blame Fedor for wantin to represent the Mother Country.
nubby
7/27/07 11:01:56AM
I think Dana needs to cut the BS and sign the guy for what he wants. He is the best.
Mastodon2
7/27/07 11:03:39AM
He is gonna have to ease up; if he wants Fedor in the UFC, he is going to have to let him have a more flexible contract. By the sounds of things, Fedor just wants to do his MMA which he could do with the UFC, and do his combat sambo (fair enough, its been his lifelong sport!) so I think Dana needs to give in on this one, or he will be shooting himself in the foot. Fedor won't fight in UFC and Dana will miss out on huge PPV dollars.

I think overall, UFC should be more flexible with their contracts, its better for everyone to be honest
wilwith1l
7/27/07 11:11:27AM
Fedor wants a contract that will let him fight in Russia whenever he wants. With Bodog kickin off ther St. Petersburg thing Dana doesn't like the idea. The Fedor really wants to support the sport in the Mother Country though.
jtwalker
7/27/07 11:19:30AM
Dana should stop being such a hard ass and let Fedor do his one sambo compteition a year and sign him.
waylon_o
7/27/07 11:34:51AM
What's wrong with one damn Sambo competition a year? The UFC has fighters every year in Abu Dhabi. What's the damn difference?
LR
7/27/07 11:53:39AM
I have commented a few times on MMAPlayground about this situation in depth in the past. I really believe Bodog has a very great opportunity to sign Fedor over the UFC. Big pluses are that they will let him fight non-exclusively, fight in Russia since they hold events there, Bodog already has signed a number of his Red Devil teammates in Russia, and Fedor has the right to represent his mother Russia in the Sambo championships. That's like saying if Dan Henderson got offered another shot at the Olympic squad that he can't represent, granted, he's not an amateur wrestler anymore, so it wouldn't happen, but if it did, Dana would probably say yes.

The fact is, Fedor is #1 ranked and he will remain #1 ranked even if UFC top HW's continue to fight and win. Fedor will fight some higher ranked European guys and win dominantly and retain it, and Dana will sit around proclaiming UFC has the best while Fedor dominates not so good fighters. That's fine, but it will never be determined who is the best heavyweight out there.

And this might not all be Dana either. The Fertittas are known for locking fighters into exclusive contracts, so he may have no bargaining power with that. But... the UFC should sign Fedor to whatever he wants. Killing a deal because he wants to represent his country at the Sambo championships is outright stupid and disrespectful. We know from interviews that both CroCop and Fedor are both very into their country's culture, and heritage. This should have been no surprise to Dana.
LR
7/27/07 2:10:03PM
Actually, after reading the recent interview with his agent, K-1 sounds like it has a legitimate shot. I do find that his agent is very controlling. Not for Fedor, but I thought the whole situation with TV rights there, his agent was saying UFC should have went through him, not on their own. Why should they go through him? Sounds like he just wants a piece of the pie on the MMA promotion in Russia. UFC can't do it themselves? Sure they can. I found that odd.
DJDark41
7/27/07 2:36:18PM
I think the reason that Dana wants Fedor to be exclusive is just so he doesn't get hurt fighting in other organizations, or get pulled away by a better contract/easier fights(and more money.) I don't blame him for wanting Fedor to be UFC only, but Fedor will do whatever he wants, and its not like Dana White can find another Fedor, there is only 1 Fedor and He shall do whatever he pleases.
LR
7/27/07 2:38:10PM
From what it sounds like, they are past the exclusivity clause. He will fight only in the UFC, but he wants to do the Sambo tournament. It isn't like the thing is stretched out over 6 months, it's just a tournament.
MaxOne
7/27/07 3:08:53PM
Exactly!
If they sign him and he gets hurt outside of the UFC then they have waisted money.
LR
7/27/07 3:19:18PM
Sounds like some other sports I know, oh wait, NFL, NBA, MLB.
mikevolz
7/27/07 3:29:22PM
i want the ufc to sign fedor for the simple reason of hearing joe rogan's head explode when he talks fedor up.

i remember when cro cop was arguably the best fighter in the world according to joe rogan.

i can't wait for this "fedor is like the hulk mixed with bruce lee, hes insane, he's so aggressive... he just out aggresses his opponents!"
LR
7/27/07 3:30:58PM
More like:

"He's INNNSAAAAANNNNEEE!"
"He has INSANNNE submissions!"
warglory
7/27/07 3:42:27PM
If Dana is not agreeing to the signing because of a few Sambo matches, that is one thing, but I bet Fedor's side wants more freedom with competitions. Dana allows fighters to enter Abu Dhabi, so to say he wont let Fedor compete in a few Sambo competitions is a little hard to swallow. I bet there is more than meets the eye about this one. Fedor wants outside MMA competition. His management doesn't want him tied down to one org.
wilwith1l
7/27/07 4:00:17PM
Fedor prolly just wants the same contract he had before. Saying he can fight in Russia whenever he wants. Dana(Zuffa) doesn't want Fedor fightin for Bodog in St. Pete. Nothing to do with injury prevention. Has to do with Calvin.
LR
7/27/07 4:02:26PM
I don't think it was ever mentioned that they had a problem with exclusivity. He had a problem specifically with Sambo tournaments, which aren't a paid organization, they don't pay fighters to compete, it's just like amateur wrestling tournaments, etc. So, he wouldn't go with another organization. He'd be fighting an amateur/professional championship tournament to prove he's the best at Sambo, not MMA. As far as I read, he would agree to be exclusive.
Signal2112
7/27/07 4:38:39PM
Dana needs to lighten up. Exclusivity deals cost Metallica too
Kisame
7/27/07 5:56:43PM
Its not just the sambo tournaments.

Fedors manager wants all of red devil signed as well AND having events staged in russia at his leisure.

he basically wants to run a part of the ufc. This contract is crazy and I hope dana doesnt give in to this bullshit.
BigTomZ
7/27/07 6:27:01PM
i think the ufc should ease up at least some. there has to be some give and take when you are negotiating with a top notch fighter like that. allowing him to compete in russian sambo would be good. they understandable won't let him compete in other mma organizations, but combat sambo tournaments should be fine. i also don't see why the ufc can't hold an event in russia.
wilwith1l
7/27/07 6:45:31PM

Posted by Kisame

Fedors manager wants all of red devil signed as well AND having events staged in russia at his leisure.

he basically wants to run a part of the ufc. This contract is crazy and I hope dana doesnt give in to this bullshit.

Yea, that's exactly what Fedor wants. All he wants is a contract like he had with DSE. One that will let him fight in any event in Russia. It has nothing to do with UFC in Russia. He wants to promote the sport in Russia. He fought Lindland in the Bodog fight in St. Pete. His DSE contract allowed that.
Raiderz757
7/27/07 7:03:19PM
he needs 2 ease up and big and give him some breathing room. let him c how the ufc is and hopefully hell like it enough to want to sign a exclusive contract once the flexable 1 is up
Piccosaur
7/27/07 7:06:07PM

Posted by mikevolz

i want the ufc to sign fedor for the simple reason of hearing joe rogan's head explode when he talks fedor up.

i remember when cro cop was arguably the best fighter in the world according to joe rogan.

i can't wait for this "fedor is like the hulk mixed with bruce lee, hes insane, he's so aggressive... he just out aggresses his opponents!"

Your joking right? Joe Rogan knows a ton about Fedor and a ton about other top fighters that aren't in the UFC. People REALLY need to watch/hear Rogan some more before making assumption of what he'll say. Plus, your acting like he said Griffin is the best fighter in the world or something. In many people's opinions Cro-Cop IS the best fighter in the world even though he lost to Fedor.
wilwith1l
7/27/07 7:08:17PM
Zuffa is weary of those kinda things. The don't want any more fighters vacating belts cause they don't wanna renew. I know Monson woulda been locked in had he beat Tim.
Ultimate_fighter
7/27/07 11:54:01PM

Posted by nubby

I think Dana needs to cut the BS and sign the guy for what he wants. He is the best.

I agree... its like dana doesn't even care if he gets him or not.. Fedor is the only fighter that will make an amazing impact on the HW division.. i can see him being the champ in no time,, but will eventually lose it..
hippysmacker
7/28/07 4:05:00AM

Posted by Kisame

After reading everyones post I think most people didn't read the whole interview. Fedor is one of my favorite fighters and I believe he is the best HVY hands down in the world. However, I have to agree with Kisame's post. I think the UFC should give on the Sambo, even though most preo athletes have exclusivity and off season limit clauses. For example after Randy Moss hurt his ankle playing basketball in a pickup game , it was inserted in his contract that he can't play basketball . Jeff Kent wasn't supposed to be riding his motorcycle according to his contract , and broke his hand doing it in baseball. The thing that scares me most is Fedor's manager basically tryuing to get the UFC to run things through him . That is ridiculous IMO. Just because he manages the baddest man alive, doesn't mean he should be trying to dictate outrageous side terms( other fighter contracts, Co- promotion rights to UFC in russia, etc. ) if you ask me. I think Fedor is being led astray the way Vera was , and we all know how that turnes out. I hope a deal gets done, but if I were the UFC I wouldn't give in to those crazy demands.
cmill21
7/28/07 4:21:54AM
I think fedor would sign if the UFC just said they would hold an event in russia. You have to admit it's good for the economy.Dana wants to take over the world anyway, and russia's a good fighting market. I don't think they should give any co-promotion to fedor's manager, but they should agree to the sambo and to an event in St.Petersburg, or Moscow. They're having them in England, Ireland, i'm sure if Mirko asked they would see about one in Croatia, one in Brazil seems inevitable since 99.9% of fighters come from there (jking about the percentage).
jocksmall
7/28/07 4:38:24PM
i cant stand dana. he thinks he is smarter than everyone, and he loves to call poeple names like moron, idiot etc. he cant say a sentence without dropping 4 f-bombs. he is dressed in jeans and a t-shirt most of the time. it seems that he thinks hes hard and he wants to be the attraction. hes a washed up want-to be-fighter that saw the potental the ufc has realized. the ufc cant go mainstream with dana representing it and conducting himself as he so often does. he comes across as a redneck and a thug. thats exactly what he tries to argue that mma is not.
_GSP_
7/28/07 5:58:09PM
Dont ease up on this cry baby because he thinks he has become bigger than the sport ...if DANA starts giving special treatment to someone everybody gonna ask for some . Fedor aint the first person to dominate a division he his just lucky his division aint has stacked has say the ww division
Pages: [1] 2 3