Dana to Cro Cop: Less money or you're sitting out

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana to Cro Cop: Less money or you're sitting out
Next Page »
Manfred
2/12/08 3:43:58PM
Link (in Hrvatski)

Jist of the article as translated by someone else:

Mirko has been told that due to his poor performances in the UFC so far, the UFC is no longer willing to pay him the amount of his contract (signed when Mirko was at the high point of his career and was expected to be an immediate threat to the HW title).

He has been given the option of re-signing for a lesser amount per fight (didn't say how much), or sitting out the remaining year of his contract.

EDIT: The rumors floating around are that he's going back to K-1
EpicTerran
2/12/08 3:47:08PM
thats really gay , i DO understand where Dana is coming from but at the same time these contracts are bullshit , its like whats the point ? the UFC can reduce someones pay even though the contract guaranteed them something else , they can boot fighters whenever they want for any reason , they can keep fighters who dont even want to fight(Randy) , the contract must say in really small letters ( the UFC can do whatever the **** they want regardless of what this contract states), contracts are close to completely meaningless
KYGUY07
2/12/08 3:51:42PM

Posted by EpicTerran

thats really gay , i DO understand where Dana is coming from but at the same time these contracts are bullshit , its like whats the point ? the UFC can reduce someones pay even though the contract guaranteed them something else , they can boot fighters whenever they want for any reason , they can keep fighters who dont even want to fight(Randy) , the contract must say in really small letters ( the UFC can do whatever the **** they want regardless of what this contract states), contracts are close to completely meaningless

yea i agree completely this is ridiculous the way the ufc can trea their fighters.
TNunley
2/12/08 3:52:56PM
I'm gonna take this with a grain of salt... until I find an actual english translated article from a reputable source.
Kpro
2/12/08 3:54:18PM
Everything is in the contract that they sign.

Maybe a fighter should take responsibility for their signature, and take into account these things you speak of before inking the paper and taking the money.
brutalbones
2/12/08 3:54:54PM
So the UFC can tell CroCop that he has to re-sign for a lower pay or he's out, but they won't let Randy re-sign OR get out. WTF!?!
Kpro
2/12/08 3:55:53PM

Posted by brutalbones

So the UFC can tell CroCop that he has to re-sign for a lower pay or he's out, but they won't let Randy re-sign OR get out. WTF!?!

If both clauses are in each of their contracts then yes.

Don't ink paper if you don't know what you're signing.
Manfred
2/12/08 3:55:55PM
The biggest objection I have is that they should just release him then. This making him sit on the sidelines for a year (If true) before he can fight for someone else is wrong.
Pookie
2/12/08 3:57:29PM
This is why fedor didnt sign the contract.

It's such a bullshit move. Its like saying "Here are your options, we can pay you much less than we agreed on, or you not make any more money this year and let your family starve." He's lucky that he has a job in parliament, But what about the fighters that dont have other jobs? They cant fight elsewhere, can't do anything relating to media without the UFC's consent(and of course they're going to say no)
and cant even give interviews(without the UFC's consent) to speak out against it.
Such bullshit, especially considering he broke his rib in the last one, and almost every single fighter who has broke a rib midfight has lost the fight.

I BOO you UFC management team. BOOOOOOO
tuvok500
2/12/08 3:58:25PM
I think it is more that if CC want to have a new conrtract with the UFC he will not be pay as much as his previous contract.

The UFC will honor their signature for sure.

The key here is that the UFC can at any time release a fighter of his contract with them.

So, they can just release CC now and give CC the opportunity to go somewhere else or CC can accept a new deal with the UFC for less than his previous 350000$ per fight, witch is now ridiculous considering his real actual caliber !!

Any organization have a clause in their contract who give them the right at any time to release a fighter like that, so no big deal here.

EpicTerran
2/12/08 3:59:35PM
Ok maybe these contracts do state that the UFC can do this type of shit , then that seriously needs to change , because thats not fair at all to the fighters , everyone wants to make it big in the UFC , so theyll sign of course , I wish a different organization was big that didnt treat their fighters like garbage the minute they start losing
mmadb
2/12/08 4:00:20PM
If that's the case that's so very extremely gay on so many levels. When a fighter wins a bunch of fights in a row and his contract isn't up yet, do they give him more money. **** no they don't.

How can you piss and moan about others not honouring their contract (ie. Randy) when you up and do the same. I also can't see how they can justify this argument and then pay unproved fighters with no real wins like Lesnar as much as they do. Lesnar sells PPV's they say, I would argue CroCop does as well so it shouldn't matter if he wins or loses.

Again, this only applies if this is actually true, which I wouldn't doubt, but man does that piss me right off.
BlazinSaddle
2/12/08 4:00:53PM
cro cop to dana:: i will head kick you foo, you pay me now, or after coma?
xburbx
2/12/08 4:16:26PM
My thoughts as always. It is good business on the UFC's part. Contracts are always one sided because one side always wants something more than the other and will give in before the other. The issue isnt the problem the contract causes in the immediate future, the problem is what happens when fighters that want out cant get out until the end of their contract. We will start to see fighters like Tito, CroCop, Couture etc, either sitting out the duration of their contract or taking their last fight with out a care. I wont be shocked if Tito doesnt train quite as hard as we expect or CroCop just finishes his last fight in a lacluster performance. Contract fights take a whole new meaning for fighters that get the shit end of the stick in the negotiation process. Again, the short term business decision by the UFC is a good one, but the long term might have other implications. I still believe that any fighter can fade with enough lapsed time and other fighters will replace the spotlight. I think the UFC knows this ie Couture
Pookie
2/12/08 4:19:36PM

Posted by mmadb

If that's the case that's so very extremely gay on so many levels. When a fighter wins a bunch of fights in a row and his contract isn't up yet, do they give him more money. **** no they don't.

How can you piss and moan about others not honouring their contract (ie. Randy) when you up and do the same. I also can't see how they can justify this argument and then pay unproved fighters with no real wins like Lesnar as much as they do. Lesnar sells PPV's they say, I would argue CroCop does as well so it shouldn't matter if he wins or loses.

Again, this only applies if this is actually true, which I wouldn't doubt, but man does that piss me right off.

Well put.
Daddyprimetime
2/12/08 4:29:15PM
I'm not taking sides on this I'm staying nuetral and looking at this from a legal point of view.

A contract is an agreement between two or more parties, especially one that is written and enforceable by law. Everything Zuffa is able to do is written right on the contract. If it's on the contract Zuffa can absolutely do it. It may not be what you want, but if you sign the contract you are legally obligated to do what the contract states.
Manfred
2/12/08 4:35:59PM
I'm pretty sure it's in the contract. They call it the "Rizzo clause"
DustinT
2/12/08 4:45:04PM
*sigh*

so tired of all the contract talks.
it would be so much easier on me if i didn't read all this stuff on the innerweb.
it just stress's me out.
babytater03
2/12/08 5:04:48PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by brutalbones

If both clauses are in each of their contracts then yes.

Don't ink paper if you don't know what you're signing.

Props to you my man.
ANYTIME i hear stuff about unhappy contract disputs, especially that the fighter is unhappy, the only thing i got to say is "WELL THEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE SIGNED IT!" either that or the fighter needs to get a better manager/lawyer. If you're not 100% happy dont freaking sign a piece of paper and then complain when you dont want to hold up to it.

i love CC, and have enjoyed watching him for years. But...he signed it, and it's the UFC's decision to do what they will sometimes.
Red-Dragon
2/12/08 5:05:02PM
Maybe if CroCop showed a little more enthusiasm for the fight game then this wouldnt have been put on him.

To be honest it always seemed to me like he was gonna retire and was looking for a few easy big pay days to see him on his way. Yeah he did a lot in Pride etc... but he aint done shit in or for the UFC.

A contract is a contract blah blah blah
prozacnation1978
2/12/08 5:18:39PM
the ufc makes it own rules, here randy signs to fight wants more money ufc wants him to honor the contract given and fight out remainder of his fights but yet the ufc is not honoring the contract they gave to cro cop, what a hyprocrite!! you shouldn't have paid him that much, what is not lesnar after he loses again i won't pay you 250 g's or you are sitting it out.
cowcatcher
2/12/08 5:36:51PM
this seals it, im getting loaded now!
Red-Dragon
2/12/08 5:43:24PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

the ufc makes it own rules, here randy signs to fight wants more money ufc wants him to honor the contract given and fight out remainder of his fights but yet the ufc is not honoring the contract they gave to cro cop, what a hyprocrite!! you shouldn't have paid him that much, what is not lesnar after he loses again i won't pay you 250 g's or you are sitting it out.

I doubt the UFC would breach contract. It probably had terms like -

The ufc will pay $xx for a guaranteed 3 fights and up to 5 fights or 18 months which ever comes sooner.

This way they are not breaching contract by not offering him fights as has had 3 already.
awdalton
2/12/08 6:00:10PM

Posted by Daddyprimetime

I'm not taking sides on this I'm staying nuetral and looking at this from a legal point of view.

A contract is an agreement between two or more parties, especially one that is written and enforceable by law. Everything Zuffa is able to do is written right on the contract. If it's on the contract Zuffa can absolutely do it. It may not be what you want, but if you sign the contract you are legally obligated to do what the contract states.

You have a point but I think the argument lies in enforceability. The Brock Lesnar/WWE situation is similar. The contract he signed had a ten year no compete clause in it. When challenged, the courts saw it as ridiculous and eventually the WWE backed down. If challenged I would bet Crocop's stipulation would be handled the same way.

Whoever said that contracts are always one-sided is completely wrong. They are in place to protect both parties. I agree Crocop should NOT have signed it with a stipulation like that, but who wants to think about that kind of thing?

"Well I'm coming off the biggest win and night of my career, but I may do terrible in the UFC so I should get that stipulation removed."

No, I'm sure Crocop thought he would come in and dominate and would never need to worry about something like that.

I think with this, the Tito noise, and the Randy situation the UFC is going to come under fire for some of its practices and will have to change thing. It also shows how smart Fedor and his management were for telling the UFC to screw off when presented with such a one-sided contract.
cmill21
2/12/08 6:01:48PM
I can't say much of what I know, but Cro Cop is announcing something big tomorro....in Japan Keep in mind it's tough to force someone to sit out or sue them if they fight if they're live on another continent and the org doesn't operate under the same "rules" the UFC does. Yes I am pissed that the UFC is able to do the exact same thing they are sueing Couture for, I know all the arguments but they are telling couture to honor it, so they should to.
Ronin74
2/12/08 6:12:20PM

Posted by EpicTerran

Quoted for truth!!
dstlvb
2/12/08 8:20:26PM
Its not what the contract says its how it will be interperted. Randy says hes out in October. UFC says it will be alot longer. Both sides have very smart lawyers and it will come down to how its interperted, not what it says. Its not what the constitutiuon says its how the courts interpert it. We are at a weird time in MMA now. The contracts that come along now are unlike what we have seen in the past. The UFC is pushing the limits on how much control they have over fighters. Now some of those fighters are fighting back. As a fan of MMA and having no financial stake in the UFC i dare to say i want the fighters to winn this battle. If they do we get Randy/Fedor. We dont have instances where if a fighter doesnt extend his contract they wont offer him his last fight. Cro Cop came and fought and lost twice. In one of those fights he was part of one of the biggest highlights of the year. The UFC is not hurting money wise by paying out his contract. On top of that if they make him sit out this next year because they dont want to pay him. Why as a fan would i be in favor of that. The UFC wants complete and absolute control over there fighters. I dont know about you, but personally im rooting for the fighters. Seems to be better for the sport.
Rush
2/12/08 8:49:35PM
Assuming this is true, there are a number of issues that deserve attention.

1) Are these clauses in the contract? I don't know, but I don't see any lawyer letting this kind of thing slide. That being said, I am curious how many fighters hire a lawyer to go over the contract before they sign.

I know a guy that started a biotech company. He basically owned all the knowledge at that time (he developed it). Then the company was purchased. He said the best thing he did was spend the money for a lawyer to look over the papers for the official sign over. He said, had he signed the first draft, he would have lost everything.

Cro Cop seems too mature to not get a lawyer, but who knows.

2) Assuming the clause is not in the contract, it doesn't surprise me that the UFC is doing this. Employees get shafted all the time in regular jobs. We are supposed to give 2 weeks+ notice if we are leaving the company, but the company doesn't need to give notice if they lay you off or let you go. The UFC might feel they can push people around because the think they hold the ace with the contract and can at least make it uncomfortable for the fighter by not letting them fight until it is settled. Look at Shonie Carter.

3) Regardless of the wording in the contract, this kind of publicity does not help the UFC look like a company that treats its employees well.

Cro Cop does not come off as a guy that would just say this for no reason. I don't think he is making noise to hype himself or a fight. To me this seems real and I think it is more complicated than the interpretation of contract wording. I don't think Crop Cop would not pursue something unless there was precedent for it.
dstlvb
2/12/08 8:55:01PM
I agree with you Rush. People on here are saying its in the contract get over it. As we can see from the Randy situation two different people can look at the same clause and reach two different conclusions. The UFC seems to want a little to much control over everything. I think these challenges are going to better the sport.
Kracker_Jap
2/12/08 9:45:00PM
Man this is a hard one, CC comes to the UFC and gets crushed in one fight and beaten badly the next.....

But he signed a contract......

That must have said if you don't win will "drop ya!"

lame of both parties to agree to such a thing
Pages: [1] 2