Dana confirms NO SF fighters can go to UFC even if free agents(and more)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana confirms NO SF fighters can go to UFC even if free agents(and more)
Shawn91111
7/19/12 10:07:12PM
UFC president Dana White talks about why he is so excited about UFC 149, the injuries that hit this card, what's next for Saturday night's main event winner, the middleweight title picture, the much-talked about Strikeforce 'list,' and much more

LINK
Shawn91111
7/19/12 10:18:08PM
wow not sure if Dana really believes his own bullshit on what is happening in Strikeforce, but where is the promotion he is talking about?
Wolfenstein
7/19/12 10:44:39PM
Dana used to be a real straight shooter...not sure what happened to him in the last few years but he sounds like a Bob Arum. Positive spin this and that no matter how absurd. Even when he get's caught in a lie, trashing Meltzer, he backtracks and spins it like he misinterpreted what he said.
Bubbles
7/19/12 10:49:13PM
Can someone explain how he was able to bring over the HWs, Diaz, and Shields but cannot bring over anyone else?
prophecy033
7/19/12 10:50:58PM

Posted by Shawn91111

wow not sure if Dana really believes his own bullshit on what is happening in Strikeforce, but where is the promotion he is talking about?

No shit, in this market there was a little marketing back in June but none in July, The guys in Strikeforce don't fight nearly enough for my taste. Their like the ugly step sister in the family. I think that both organizations would be better off if the UFC started throwing some of their lower ranked guys down to Strikeforce or if Strikeforce would go out and find some new guys with some buzz behind them to drum up more interest
MALICE
7/19/12 10:57:22PM

Posted by Bubbles

Can someone explain how he was able to bring over the HWs, Diaz, and Shields but cannot bring over anyone else?

Were they brought over while Strikeforce and Showtime were negotiating their new contract? I thought I remember the "stolen" fighters being mentioned as the reason this little "No Transferring to UFC" clause was put in place.
Bustamante-Aoki
7/19/12 11:49:53PM
Strikeforce wasn't making much money so they decided to scrap the HW division. Showtime had to agree as it was a decision made on cost alone.

HW's don't apply to the situation. Cormier and Barnett wil be UFC bound by the end of the year.

Edit: Diaz, Shields, Hendo etc. were brought over before contract re-negotiations with Showtime began
Twenty20Dollars
7/19/12 11:54:25PM

Posted by Bubbles

Idk about the rest. But, I believe Shields left before Zuffa had acquired SF, almost positive on that one.

Once again though, Dana's word is worth nothing. Except here, though confirming they can't leave.

No, no, no, no, no. Dana did not get Meltzer's report right. Dana said in that video that Meltzer said guys couldn't come to the UFC if SF/Showtime no longer had a deal.

But that was incorrect. Meltzer said "They made this list of guys and they said 'these are our guys' and, even if their contract expires, they can't move to UFC. That's part of their deal with keeping this alive. So these guys are stuck."

So Meltzer said, exactly what said Dana in that video, in which Dana said, had been public information and which the Showtime guy also denied. SF fighters cannot sign with the UFC when they are free agents and while SF/Showtime deal is still on.

I would still like to know which fighter Meltzer talked too that told him that, though.

What Dana and the Showtime guy were probably denying what the actual "list", but the list again is just the SF fighters.

Nothing to be depressed about? They can't come over to the UFC and fight the best in the world and be on that stage as long as Zuffa has a deal with Showtime. Rockhold even said he didn't want to be fighting people like Jardine!

There is no specific, physical list, but the list is actually just the SF roster.
Twenty20Dollars
7/19/12 11:57:42PM
I hope that some of these SF fighters contracts expire and they go sign with Bellator, just to shut it in Dana's face.

These guys want to fight in the UFC!

Gilbert doesn't want to keep effing facing Thomson!

I wish there was someone else in the UFC that could also talk on situations other than Dana. I just can't stand the guy anymore.
Twenty20Dollars
7/20/12 12:21:03AM
Made this post in another thread on this

Here's an article from Dec 18, 2011. Melendez and Rockhold Foregoing UFC was Part of Strikeforce’s Deal with Showtime. link

From the article ------“That was just a situation of the Showtime agreement,” Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker revealed following Melendez’s successful title defense on Saturday night in San Diego. “That was part of the deal, that these fighters (Melendez and middleweight champion Luke Rockhold) would stay.

“UFC feels that they have enough challengers in their divisions now. We’re going to keep building our league and keep plugging in new fighters that aren’t fighting for the UFC into Strikeforce. There’s plenty of fighters out there and we’re gonna keep building them.”

----------------------------

Another article on Diaz signing a UFC/SF deal. Jun 1, 2011 link
There is said Gil was likely to be offered something like that. Also, this deal Diaz signed stopped him from doing any boxing, which his old SF contract had allowed.
So, that's how I believe they got Diaz over. UFC/SF contract, with no boxing. Then Gracie went on to say, Diaz probably only comes back over to SF if he loses or something.

NOW, for the HW's they got to come over in the SF/Showtime/Zuffa new deal. So UFC gets the HW's and SF would keep the tourney guys til that is over, plus 1 fight.

Shields signed back in 2010, Zuffa didn't own SF then, Shields FA.

Zuffa acquired SF in Mar. 2011

Sep. 19, 2011 Hendo signs with the UFC, exclusive to UFC. Zuffa owned SF at this point, so could get him to the UFC. And Showtime/SF was in it's last year of it's contract, I believe, if they just signed a new deal for 2012.
Twenty20Dollars
7/20/12 12:25:49AM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Shawn91111

No shit, in this market there was a little marketing back in June but none in July, The guys in Strikeforce don't fight nearly enough for my taste. Their like the ugly step sister in the family. I think that both organizations would be better off if the UFC started throwing some of their lower ranked guys down to Strikeforce or if Strikeforce would go out and find some new guys with some buzz behind them to drum up more interest

I think even the some of the fighters from last weekend's card were even complaining about the lack of promotion from this card.

Dana says they should be happen because they are champions. Yeah, not like they want anything more than just fighting the same guys and fighting guys who are coming off losses and move down a weight for a title defense.
jae_1833
7/20/12 12:43:59AM
Absolutely retarded.....everyone should have a chance to take their careers as far as their potential and hard work dictates. Could you imagine signing a clause at your office or whatever that sai dno matter what you cant get promoted? This is not the way the world works....especially not the American sports world.
ruyen
7/20/12 4:07:28AM

But Thompson won the last fight. Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with rematches if the fights are good and competitive. I'd much rather rewatch their last fight than several other Melendez fights that were uncompetitive or downright boring.

PS: Kudos on the avatar
ghandikush
7/20/12 10:41:01AM

Posted by jae_1833

Absolutely retarded.....everyone should have a chance to take their careers as far as their potential and hard work dictates. Could you imagine signing a clause at your office or whatever that sai dno matter what you cant get promoted? This is not the way the world works....especially not the American sports world.

Tell me if I'm wrong here but if youre a high level cokeacola guy you cant just fluidly travel to become a pepsi employee.
airkerma
7/20/12 11:32:22AM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by jae_1833

Tell me if I'm wrong here but if youre a high level cokeacola guy you cant just fluidly travel to become a pepsi employee.

Not quite a correct analogy as they are both owned by Zuffa. Perhaps something like high level powerade guy moving to soda within the same company.
Twenty20Dollars
7/20/12 12:36:11PM

Posted by ruyen

But Thompson won the last fight. Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with rematches if the fights are good and competitive. I'd much rather rewatch their last fight than several other Melendez fights that were uncompetitive or downright boring.

PS: Kudos on the avatar

But it just gets boring to me. I didn't think it was their best fight.

I think SF/Showtime's deal might only be for one year or I can't remember w/o looking it up. Maybe they don't renew it and then they can come over or the fighters just don't resign with SF.
machodog76
7/20/12 2:18:18PM

Posted by jae_1833

it's called a non-compete and it is the way the world works when you get an important position in a company I had to sign one for my job.
Twenty20Dollars
7/20/12 3:10:22PM
Basically the UFC picked out all the SF guys they wanted and brought them to the UFC and then they tried to workout a deal with Showtime and they got a deal done with them, but only with the rest of the roster or top guys having to stay so UFC can't bring them over and leave them with nothing.

That I can understand to a point.

What I don't understand is how Dana denys it and doesn't even read Meltzer's report back right. Then the Showtime guy also denied it.
bjj1605
7/20/12 5:23:43PM
Its all bullshit.

This is why one single top organization is good for the sport. Multiple organizations only serve to keep big fights from happening.
ruyen
7/20/12 9:56:26PM

Posted by bjj1605

Its all bullshit.

This is why one single top organization is good for the sport. Multiple organizations only serve to keep big fights from happening.

One promoter is good for greedy fans, but one organization is bad for fighters because they lose options and competition and any power to negotiate a better deal. One organization is what ufc and sf are. They want to bring all the best SF fighters over but can't because they have a TV deal that needs a roster of fighters. Not hard to figure out.
Franklinfan47
7/21/12 12:17:05AM
The answer to this is simple: put strikeforce out of its misery
jae_1833
7/21/12 3:57:43PM
Consumer sales are quite different than sports....