Dana Confirms Dos Santos-Nelson Winner Gets Title Shot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana Confirms Dos Santos-Nelson Winner Gets Title Shot
DCRage
7/30/10 7:25:42AM
As has been expected for some time, the winner of the upcoming Junior Dos Santos-Roy Nelson fight will indeed get a UFC Heavyweight Title shot following the upcoming Brock Lesnar-Cain Velasquez title fight. Dana White made the official announcement on the latest episode of ESPN's MMA Live.

Article
casketcoin
7/30/10 10:47:54AM
BIG night for Roy "FULL" Nelson
I predict Cloudy with a chance of MEATBALLS
Wand_is_GOD
7/30/10 12:10:04PM
beat Stefan Struve and get a Number one contender match NICE!!!
DCRage
7/30/10 12:11:11PM
Maybe this win will finally get Nelson that Burger King endorsement deal he's been lobbying for. And BK's been a big UFC sponsor before so it makes sense.
MisterFreeze
7/30/10 1:02:48PM
I'm so excited about this fight!! Whoever wins I'm excited to see the possible matchups!

Brock vs Dos Santos
Brock vs Roy Nelson
Dos Santos vs Cain
Nelson vs Cain

Any way the chips fall I'm looking forward to it!!
finnish_line
7/30/10 1:34:17PM

Posted by Wand_is_GOD

Either

A) UFC brass feels Nelson has almost no shot against JDS.

or

B) They're also taking into account his streak through TUF of Kimbo, Wren, McSweeney and Schaub. That plus his earlier work and a win over JDS would more than justify the title shot.
marcoDGK
7/30/10 3:47:39PM

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by Wand_is_GOD

Either

A) UFC brass feels Nelson has almost no shot against JDS.

or

B) They're also taking into account his streak through TUF of Kimbo, Wren, McSweeney and Schaub. That plus his earlier work and a win over JDS would more than justify the title shot.

I think it's B. For being a fat effin slob he has kinda pulled through like he said he would. He got two good KO's and did well in IFL. Plus, he does a good job of being intertaining with that big belly of his. I don't like the guy much but it is funny to see him.

A win over JDS would absolutely justify a title shot, IMO. that guy has been tearing through people. It also seems like JDS has better hands and in better shape. If Nelson can get through a hungry guy like JDS then he should get a title shot.
cowcatcher
7/30/10 3:58:40PM

If Nelson can get through a hungry guy like JDS then he should get a title shot.

roy is hungrier.
MisterFreeze
7/30/10 5:22:46PM

Posted by cowcatcher

If Nelson can get through a hungry guy like JDS then he should get a title shot.

roy is hungrier.

Midnight snacking and pregnancy cravings don't count!!
mrsmiley
7/30/10 5:47:51PM

Posted by cowcatcher

roy is hungrier.

this is the truth.
Hope he doesn't eat too much before the fight though.
MaxOne
7/30/10 6:54:00PM
nothing against dos santos but I think the ufc probably wants roy to get beat so I totally hope Roy pulls off the upset. I don't think Roy should be fighting Dos Santos yet but i do think has the skills to shock the world...possibly.
prozacnation1978
7/30/10 8:32:23PM
Like the fight. Next year. Spring time. I hope jds wins.
seanfu
7/30/10 8:39:15PM
That fight wasnt earned. Not to say it needs to be. But Roy gets entirely too much respect.
jae_1833
7/30/10 9:57:31PM
I think the UFC Brass fully expects JDS to win via KO and thus (with his fan base) would deserve a title shot. Roy's win streak even including the IFL has to be seen as a broken streak because he lost via KO to Arvloski in EliteXC via KO, followed by losing to Monson via decision in some small show.
Boo_Radley21
7/30/10 10:13:12PM
I really hope Nelson de-rails Dos Santos. Gonzaga was asking to get knocked out in that fight, he dropped his hands every time he threw a kick and just got clocked. No denying JDS' punching power, but I wanna see him get taken out.
jlock003
7/30/10 10:16:28PM
I honestly felt like Dos Santos should have gotten the winner of Brock Carwin. At a minimum I felt like he should have been fighting Cain, but I can understand why Cain got the title shot. I don't think Nelson deserves this shot either, but I've always been a big proponent of the idea that if a guy can come out and win a fight, be it a championship bout or a number one contenders match, that he was worthy of the shot. If Nelson can somehow come out and win then hey he deserved it, but if he gets beaten down, then it will be one of those Anderson Silva/Patrick Cote kind of things. We will see.
supatolacyl
7/31/10 5:45:58AM
I like Big Country, being a round guy myself, I love to see a fat guy get the win. However, I've been pulling for a JDS/Lesnar bout for a while. I'm not completely counting Velasquez out, but IMO Carwin and JDS have the best chances to dethrown Lesnar. The only other HW fight I'm looking more forward to then JDS/Lesnar is Carwin/JDS, both fights are going to be barn burners.
Rush
7/31/10 11:52:17AM
I'm fine with either fighter winning and/or getting a title shot. Though I am more interested to see JDS on the ground so I am kinda hoping to seem vs. Brock. I also think Roy would have no chance vs. Brock.
EliasG
8/1/10 3:55:40PM
Nelson is older and has a long track record in MMA. He is not as young as some of the other fighters in MMA so you have to fast track him a little more if he shows he can fight with the bigger dogs. I think he'll probably lose but I'd like for him to give an upset. I don't think so though based on his fight with Arlovski. I think he can get KO'd but his ground is pretty solid. WE really have yet to see JDS on the ground with his vaunted BBJ. that would be interesting. His hands are SO fast though.

Anyway, I think Nelson deserves the shot and I think that his body is a detractor for him in a kind of a wierd way. After all, most Americans are fat, and most MMA fans are fat...it's kind of "funny" that some guys like other guys that are in "shape." I've never looked at a fighter or any athlete for that matter and thought---now he's in great shape, I'll root for him." Maybe it gives boxing fans a little more ammunition when they call mma fans "gay."
Boo_Radley21
8/3/10 8:22:53AM
Niiiiiiiice. Let's go Nelson.
Playground_Samurai
8/3/10 8:52:03AM

Posted by Rush

I'm fine with either fighter winning and/or getting a title shot. Though I am more interested to see JDS on the ground so I am kinda hoping to seem vs. Brock. I also think Roy would have no chance vs. Brock.

I think he has a chance against Brock. I think he has better jiu-jitsu and better striking. I think he could beat him standing up or if he ended up on top on the ground. If he ended up under Brock on the ground though, which there would be a really good chance of, I think Brock would probably TKO him.