Dana's Big Announcement - what's your favorite rumor?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Dana's Big Announcement - what's your favorite rumor?
grappler0000
6/10/08 6:51:29AM
With all the fantastical rumors floating around, what's the most believable one...or at least your favorite one?

For me, the following one, although it pains me to say, makes a little sense...and it is making it's way around the MMA forums this morning. So, take it for what it's worth and if you have a better one, post it.

--------

From a very reliable source, rumor has it that a group of investors led by Dana White have agreed in principle to purchase the UFC from Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta for an undisclosed amount. Included in this investment group is WWE's Vince McMahon who will now own a minority stake in the company. They also have plans on taking the company public by years end.

At the press conference also expect Dana to announce that with the help of McMahon, who has extensive connections in the New York State Athletic Commission, they were able to get the UFC sanctioned in New York, and plan on having a show sometime in the winter at Madison Square Garden.

Source

Considering that Vince McMahon actually has a news conference scheduled for Thursday as well, it is actually a little scary...not to mention, Dana was flying back and forth between London and New York a lot recently.
scoozna
6/10/08 10:05:06AM
Oh God no. Please no. The UFC should stay as far away from any association with the WWE as possible. Even if McMahon is just a money-man, he'll run his mouth about it and will just suck credibility out with a gigantic slurping sound.

I'm betting a big deal with NBC...since the show is on CNBC. Lots of new sponsors, lots of "free" MMA, UFC gets control of production.
Silent-Sir
6/10/08 10:49:00AM

Posted by scoozna

I'm betting a big deal with NBC...since the show is on CNBC. Lots of new sponsors, lots of "free" MMA, UFC gets control of production.

Agreed. NBC, definitely NBC. Now let's put all this WWE/McMahon nonsense behind us. I know I'm trying to wipe the idea from my mind.
grappler0000
6/10/08 10:56:40AM

Posted by Silent-Sir

Posted by scoozna

Agreed. NBC, definitely NBC. Now let's put all this WWE/McMahon nonsense behind us. I know I'm trying to wipe the idea from my mind.

I'm praying it's not true as well, so hopefully we find out more on CNBC today.
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/10/08 11:00:00AM
Well i don't know bout rumors but it's going down today...and in 1h40 that is...well at 12:40pm ET. wonder what its gonna be
SpiderSilva
6/10/08 11:01:36AM
what about the one with OJ Simpson getting out of jail to sign with the UFC
Kracker_Jap
6/10/08 11:37:26AM
Dana is going to announce the Dana White vs Andy Wang fight
pv3Hpv3p
6/10/08 11:58:57AM
I just keep hearing the words "mind-blowing" in my head... And while financial information about the company is interesting, i wouldn't consider it "mind-blowing", escpecially not to the casual fan...

The theories I like best...

- Randy has caved in, and will unify the HW title against the winner of Big Nog / Mir...

- Takinori Gomi will fight a rematch with BJ Penn for the undisputed best LW in MMA...

- Chuck Liddell will move up to HW...

- A super fight with GSP... Either at 170 with BJ or 185 or catchweight with Anderson
grappler0000
6/10/08 12:11:25PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I just keep hearing the words "mind-blowing" in my head... And while financial information about the company is interesting, i wouldn't consider it "mind-blowing", escpecially not to the casual fan...

The theories I like best...

- Randy has caved in, and will unify the HW title against the winner of Big Nog / Mir...

- Takinori Gomi will fight a rematch with BJ Penn for the undisputed best LW in MMA...

- Chuck Liddell will move up to HW...

- A super fight with GSP... Either at 170 with BJ or 185 or catchweight with Anderson

All of those are possible rumors, especially when you consider Dana's already talked about BJ/GSP 2, Gomi was recently seen training here in the states, etc...and it may even be mind blowing to some, but it doesn't show where the company will be going over the next 5 years.
89vision
6/10/08 12:44:46PM
Not a joke, lesner is fighting kimbo... Link
SpiderSilva
6/10/08 1:40:04PM
what about UFC signing a new deal with SPIKE
loller90278
6/10/08 5:06:44PM
why is everyone hating vince mcmahon? its not like he's going to completely change the rules and add story lines and make MMA fake... he will be just a partner who can help them get MMA sanctioned and bring in new fans. it's the same thing with donald trump, i mean he's not going to somehow make MMA a real estate company or something, its just a name behind the brand.
lance70301
6/11/08 6:33:54PM
I heard Hulk Hogan was signed as is fighting Triple H for the heavy weight title.
gsquat
6/12/08 3:57:41PM
so when are we gonna know what it is???