Dana: UFC Will Soon Add Flyweights

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana: UFC Will Soon Add Flyweights
DCRage
11/12/10 11:16:17PM
Every major weight class soon will be under the Ultimate Fighting Championship banner. Following January's upcoming absorption of World Extreme Cagefighting and its 145-pound featherweights and 135-pound bantamweights, the UFC then will add 125-pound flyweights. That's according to UFC president Dana White, who said the new weight class could soon debut. "I believe we'll add it a lot sooner than people think we will," White said during today's Q&A session at at Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany. His comments come a day after two potential stars of the division – WEC 52 fighters Joseph Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson – picked up wins as bantamweights in Las Vegas.

Article
Wolfgang666
11/13/10 12:50:05AM
Johnson and Benavidez are really going to tempt them I think. I hope they do the right thing and make that fight for the Flyweight title.
jay98107
11/13/10 1:40:10AM
What a great decision!
brutalbones
11/13/10 7:47:38AM
Flyweights but no Crusierweights?
mrsmiley
11/13/10 8:40:59AM
Their's gonna be a lot of fast paced action with a flyweight division being implemented within the UFC. Can't wait to see it.
AchillesHeel
11/13/10 8:57:42AM

Posted by brutalbones

Cruiserweights would take fighters away from the UFC's current weight classes, but the WEC currently has only a few natural Flyweights.
Franklinfan47
11/13/10 10:38:16AM
Great move by the ufc , just keeps getting better.

Others that we will probably see at 125 are Charlie Valencia, Coty Wheeler, and hopefully Jussier Da Silva at some point.
icantthinkofanything
11/13/10 10:47:54AM
I hope that UFC fighters still fight a lot.
DCRage
11/13/10 12:52:27PM

Posted by brutalbones

Let's not turn MMA into the debacle that is boxing with regards to so many divisions. Kthx.

This is something I'm excited about, I've seen a couple flyweight fights at UWC events in the DC area and they're every bit exciting as the Bantamweights-nonstop action and they're still quite powerful.
JimiMak
11/13/10 1:43:57PM
Great news, can't wait.
Bubbles
11/13/10 1:58:54PM

Posted by icantthinkofanything

this. we have enough of a problem with top end guys fighting once every 8 months or so. unless the cards will have like 15 fights rather than 10 or 11, or another dozen free shows, then we dont need more fighters in an already crowded UFC roster (once WEC merges)
Wolfgang666
11/13/10 2:12:29PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by icantthinkofanything

this. we have enough of a problem with top end guys fighting once every 8 months or so. unless the cards will have like 15 fights rather than 10 or 11, or another dozen free shows, then we dont need more fighters in an already crowded UFC roster (once WEC merges)

Fightcard
Nate Marquardt vs. Yushin Okami
Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Goran Reljic
Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara
Dennis Siver vs. Andre Winner
Duane Ludwig vs. Nick Osipczak
Amir Sadollah vs. Peter Sobotta
Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Alexandre Ferreira
Karlos Vemola vs. Seth Petruzelli
Kyle Noke vs. Rob Kimmons
Kris McCray vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha
Pascal Krauss vs. Mark Scanlon
Kpro
11/13/10 2:47:00PM
Great news!
Wolfgang666
11/13/10 4:32:13PM

Posted by brutalbones

Name your top ten LHWs, Crusiers, and HWs if such a division would be created.

Crusierweight only makes sense until you think about it.
jae_1833
11/13/10 9:47:29PM
Cruiser would leave the HW division in shambles....there would only be 5-10 guys worlwide worth watching at HW if the UFC made a CW Div.....it'll happen someday, but probably not for another 5-10 years....the talent has to be bred.
Oh and for FW, I have seen only a couple of fights on some Japanease or maybe even Korean events....not real impressed, not any faster than the BWs...not as tough nor as hard hitting....where is the talent....this could destroy the new UFC FW/BW Divs.....same problem as before, besides what man on earth wants to weight less than 135 lbs.