Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot, says UFC prez

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot, says UFC prez
Budgellism
2/2/12 10:49:06PM
Former Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Dan Henderson has put himself in limbo, according to UFC president Dana White.

"Dan Henderson's in a position right now where it looks like he wants to wait for Jon Jones," White said today.

Earlier this month, White said Henderson (29-8 MMA, 5-2 UFC) turned down a fight with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC on FUEL 2.

Henderson soon after defended his decision in an interview with Clinch Gear Radio, saying he thought it was undecided whether he or Rashad Evans would get the first crack at champ Jon Jones and that he didn't think a fight with Nogueira was interesting for the fans.

Henderson also clarified that he would have taken the fight had it been three rounds instead of the five-round length currently in place for headlining fights.

Of course, that was before Evans secured a title shot by beating Phil Davis at this past Saturday's UFC on FOX 2.

LINK
Bubbles
2/2/12 11:57:21PM
I can understand Hendo's viewpoint, but him sitting out til the end of the year may not be the best thing for him. I'm not sure who he could fight that would be a relatively easy win for him, yet still be a top opponent, so he doesnt lose his place in line.

Forrest Griffin apparently is no longer an option
jae_1833
2/3/12 1:54:51AM
Griffin is campaigning for a final fight with Tito Ortiz....Dan is too old to mess around anymore and mess up a sure thing (title shot). I think if Jones gets past Rashad (which he should IMO) then Dan is the last true test for him at LHW other than a super fight with Anderson Silva. That fight could be a HUGE fight for sure.....blowout numbers for the UFC too!
tmas
2/3/12 2:17:25AM
Hendo really on ly has a few fights left in him i think, and he wants to make sure 1 is a title fight....i think he wants to retire with gold around his waist.
KungFuMaster
2/3/12 4:10:53AM

Posted by Bubbles

I can understand Hendo's viewpoint, but him sitting out til the end of the year may not be the best thing for him. I'm not sure who he could fight that would be a relatively easy win for him, yet still be a top opponent, so he doesnt lose his place in line.

Forrest Griffin apparently is no longer an option

I think Dan is thinking he could take time off from fighting to build his health and endurance. He was in pretty bad physical health the last time we saw him. I get the impression Dan wants to retire soon and he wants more time to prepare for the winner of Jones vs Evans. This could be his retirement fight.
BeeR
2/3/12 6:19:42AM
Vitor ala pride 32?
Shawn91111
2/3/12 7:28:33AM
The only fight is the winner of Rampage/Bader as a Rampage/Hendo 2 fight would be great as their first was very underrated as one of the best fights ever.

But I have no issue with him wanting to wait.
lohmann
2/3/12 7:43:52AM
Henderson might quit fighting if he fails to capture gold this time around. That's totally a conjecture, but I don't think he has much more to prove than becoming a UFC champion.

I usually dislike how fighters fight when they wait on the sidelines, but Henderson seems disciplined enough.
gartface
2/3/12 8:52:21AM
Dan Henderson can do whatever he wants, at least in my book.
airkerma
2/3/12 10:14:07AM
Someone told me that Bones has requested a top 10 HW if he beats Rashad. If this is true and his wish is granted, will he even fight Henderson?
Dberntson
2/3/12 10:25:07AM

Posted by airkerma

Someone told me that Bones has requested a top 10 HW if he beats Rashad. If this is true and his wish is granted, will he even fight Henderson?

I heard this, but it was after he fights Rashad and Hendo. His logic was that if/when he beats those two, he would have cleared out the weight class for now and he thought that would be a good fight for the fans. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Danna and Joe Silva put a kabosh on those plans though.
RhythmAndStyle
2/3/12 11:40:42AM

Posted by Dberntson

Posted by airkerma

I heard this, but it was after he fights Rashad and Hendo. His logic was that if/when he beats those two, he would have cleared out the weight class for now and he thought that would be a good fight for the fans. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Danna and Joe Silva put a kabosh on those plans though.

also..Jones has been talking bout moving up class already, and he wants to do it soon..so i do think Hendo will get a shot after Evans and then Jones will fight a mid tier hw to see how he handles the hw division..Dana already said Jones is his next market and he'll handle Jones with extreme care, lol..2013 Jones will be in the hw division..
Poor_Franklin
2/3/12 12:44:13PM

Posted by gartface

Dan Henderson can do whatever he wants, at least in my book.

sounds like a good book
Travesty145
2/3/12 5:27:55PM
hendo lost convincingly to a welterweight that is 1-2 in the ufc. how in gods name does he think he will fare against the light heavyweight champion?
Kpro
2/3/12 5:47:44PM

Posted by Travesty145

hendo lost convincingly to a welterweight that is 1-2 in the ufc. how in gods name does he think he will fare against the light heavyweight champion?

Well he's 2-3 in his last 5 fights at 185 or less in the last 5 1/2 years.
L - Shields - UD
W - Bisping - 2TKO
W - Paul Harris - UD
L - Anderson - 2SUB
L - Misaki - UD

And 7-1 in that timeframe at fights over 185 in the last 5 1/2 years.
W - Shogun - UD
W - Fedor - 1TKO
W - Feijao - 1TKO
W - Babalu - 1TKO
W - Franklin - SD
L - Rampage - UD
W - Wanderlei - 3TKO
W - Belfort - UD

He fights best when he's above MW really.
Shawn91111
2/3/12 5:49:17PM

Posted by Travesty145

Because he wont have to cut 19lbs on the day of the weigh in. Word
bjj1605
2/3/12 8:32:15PM
Lame.

Fighters should fight.
prozacnation1978
2/3/12 10:23:24PM
At his age he should take what fights he can get
He ain't getting younger
airkerma
2/4/12 8:40:39AM

Posted by bjj1605

Lame.

Fighters should fight.

when his age you reach fight as well as him you will not
Shawn91111
2/4/12 9:35:13AM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by bjj1605

Lame.

Fighters should fight.

when his age you reach fight as well as him you will not

jjeans
2/4/12 9:53:50AM
Hendo IMO is a stronger and more fluid boxer than Matt Hamill other than that the share almost the same tool set.

Hendo is Hamill minus the H-Bomb
I'd love to see Hendo winning but I don't think Hendo has good enough control off his back and TDD to stop the fight being stopped any other way than taking elbows on the bottom from mount.