Dan Henderson's title shot status downgraded to "could be" status despite UFC 100 win

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dan Henderson's title shot status downgraded to "could be" status despite UFC 100 win
postman
7/12/09 4:34:25PM
LAS VEGAS - While several reports prior to Saturday night's UFC 100 middleweight clash between Dan Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and Michael Bisping (17-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) suggested the bout would determine the next 185-pound title challenger, UFC president Dana White said at the evening's post-event press conference that an immediate shot at the belt is no longer a sure thing.

The Junkie
sparky
7/12/09 5:58:05PM
After what he did at UFC 100 he is more then deserving of a rematch!!!!
NatedawgThaM
7/12/09 6:41:04PM
I say after Nate beats on Maia, have him and Hendo fight for the most deserving rematch since IMHO those two are the top 2 middleweights in the UFC besides Silva. Oh yeah and Okami, maybe have Hendo beat the hell out of him.
Wallass
7/12/09 6:55:03PM
Agreed that with the KO last night, he is deserving of a shot but I could see him getting Maia/Marquardt winner and if he wins that, getting the shot. Dana doesnt want a repeat of when they had Franklin fed to Anderson a 2nd time, to haappen to Hendo.
kopower
7/12/09 8:00:31PM
Dan should def. get the Maia/Marquardt winner. The time frame works out because Silva is fighting in just a few weeks. Have Silva fight Okami next and the winner gets the winner of Henderson / Nate vs Maia
TimW001
7/12/09 8:02:29PM
I haven't forgotten about Okami yet, apparently the UFC has.
cowcatcher
7/12/09 8:04:24PM

Posted by TimW001

I haven't forgotten about Okami yet, apparently the UFC has.

hes kind of become the rodney dangerfield of the MW division, no respect. hes not glamorous, hes not a great striker thats going to keep the fans on their feet, and that really seems to work against him. hes got to be somewhere in the mix, im just not sure where at this point.
RNC
7/12/09 8:30:53PM
Okami will most likely never get a shot at Anderson, especially with Anderson only having so few fights left until he's done fighting. While Okami is a good fighter, and has beaten almost every opponent, nearly every win is by decision. You saw how long it took Machida to get his shot because of that. And with this whole Thales Leites "fiasco" going on, Okami is doomed.

So here's the timeline.

Anderson will fight Forrest at LHW.
Marquardt will fight Maia at MW.

If Maia wins against Marquardt impressively, which is most likely the only way he will win, then he will get the first crack at Anderson.

If Marquardt wins against Maia, depending on the impressiveness, he will either fight Henderson for the #1 contender spot, or they will give the shot immeditely to Hendo.

Now, if Marquardt and Hendo fight, Silva has a fight to fill, which could be perfect. With GSP now having cleaned out the WW division, the only place for him to go is up. If Anderson beats Forrest, and with GSP coming off of his destruction over Alves, talk about a PPV seller for the UFC.

Here's my favorite possible scenerio.

Anderson beats Forrest at LHW.
Marquardt beats Maia at MW.
Marquardt fights Hendo at MW.
Anderson fights GSP at MW.
Anderson wins, Hendo wins.
Anderson vs Hendo II.

Let's do it.
cowcatcher
7/12/09 9:00:22PM
you basically laid out the scenario i was thinking was most possible. to me thats the right thing to do although joe silva did tell rogan during the broadcast last night that the winner of swick/kampmann gets the next crack at gsp so that could throw a wrench in the works.
postman
7/12/09 9:11:33PM
I'm not sure Anderson can beat George anymore. His takedowns are so good and no one can stop his GNP I think George would win that fight.
sclasclemski
7/12/09 10:29:03PM
there is also the possibility of a one Mr Vitor Belfort entering the UFC for a shot at Silva
prozacnation1978
7/13/09 3:03:50AM
he should get it
i do think silva will fight in vegas in nov
should be hendo or maybe belfort
Kpro
7/13/09 5:57:52AM
I think the "could be" is because of Belfort.

Hendo deserves it over Maia/Marquardt.

I don't think it's similar to Silva/Franklin since Hendo actually won the only round that went the full 5 minutes against Anderson in the first matchup.
shane
7/13/09 6:21:12AM
Silva will lose his next 3 fights.
There I said it and the bashing can begin.

I remember reading a while back that Maia/Marquardt would get next shot.

I don't think Anderson can beat Griffin. Too much size and heart. Anderson is quick and accurate with his strikes but I don't see him having enough power to (T)KO Griffin. So Griffin will most likely get the UD there. SILVA 0-1

Well moving up in weight didn't work he better go back down and defend his strap. If it's Hendo, hands down don't just win he finishes. He is only to win a round aginst Anderson in the UFC. He control the Silva on the ground in Rd1 and got caught in Rd2. Remember it took a body triangle and a rear naked choke to get the TAPOUT. Now Hendo is showing off his striking again.
If not Hendo then Maia. This one is a little more tricky. Maia stand is crap. But his BJJ is by far the best made for MMA. He may have to weather a storm but I know he can get the TAPOUT.
Marquardt looked ok the first time around until he got rocked. Avoid this and he has the skill set to win a WAR. 3 rounds to 2. SILVA 0-2

What's left a superfight with the most well rounded fighter in MMA......GSP. GSP always has the best gameplan. I see no way of Silva stoping the shot or catching a sub. GSP by 3rd TKO. SILVA 0-3

OKAMA has done nothing to get a shot. He will never get one unless he gets bigger fights. I don't see this happening any time soon.

RNC
7/13/09 7:46:02AM
First, A few disputes.

Posted by Kpro

Hendo deserves it over Maia/Marquardt.

I disagree. Let's compare Maia's wins over Hendo's wins.

Hendo is on a three fight win streak. A UD over Palhares, a SD over Franklin, and a knockout over Bisping. Mind you, the Franklin fight was at 205, so that's only two wins at MW.

Maia is on a five fight win streak. A submission over Jensen, a submission over Herman, a submission over MacDonald, a submission over Quarry, and a submission over Sonnen, all very impressively. And in order to get his shot, he will have to beat Marquardt, which will most likely only happen by submission. That will be six straight fights, all wins coming by submission.

So while Hendo may have faced one tougher opponent in Rich Franklin, it doesn't compare to the amount of people that Maia has submitted in a row, especially with names like MacDonald, Quarry, Sonnen, and (assuming) Marquardt on the list. Maia deserves the shot if he beats Marquardt, and this is coming from a Hendo fan.

Posted by shane

Silva will lose his next 3 fights.

I don't think Anderson can beat Griffin. Too much size and heart. Anderson is quick and accurate with his strikes but I don't see him having enough power to (T)KO Griffin. So Griffin will most likely get the UD there. SILVA 0-1

Well moving up in weight didn't work he better go back down and defend his strap. If it's Hendo, hands down don't just win he finishes. He is only to win a round aginst Anderson in the UFC. He control the Silva on the ground in Rd1 and got caught in Rd2. Remember it took a body triangle and a rear naked choke to get the TAPOUT. Now Hendo is showing off his striking again.
If not Hendo then Maia. This one is a little more tricky. Maia stand is crap. But his BJJ is by far the best made for MMA. He may have to weather a storm but I know he can get the TAPOUT.
Marquardt looked ok the first time around until he got rocked. Avoid this and he has the skill set to win a WAR. 3 rounds to 2. SILVA 0-2

What's left a superfight with the most well rounded fighter in MMA......GSP. GSP always has the best gameplan. I see no way of Silva stoping the shot or catching a sub. GSP by 3rd TKO. SILVA 0-3

You had some good points, and you may just be on to something. However, there is one fatal flaw in your logic. If Silva loses to Forrest, moves back down and loses to Hendo/Maia/Marquardt, then he'll never get to fight GSP. There won't be a point anymore. GSP will be the #1 p4p fighter in the world and will never fight somebody who's on a two fight losing streak.

So maybe Silva 0-2, but not quite 0-3.

Now onto the good stuff.

Posted by cowcatcher

you basically laid out the scenario i was thinking was most possible. to me thats the right thing to do although joe silva did tell rogan during the broadcast last night that the winner of swick/kampmann gets the next crack at gsp so that could throw a wrench in the works.

Yeah bro, I heard Joe Silva say that. But I think that could've been just thrown out there to answer Rogan's question. If Anderson beats Forrest and GSP wants the fight, its almost certain they'll put the belt on hold for an Anderson/GSP super fight. They did it before for BJ, and this fight will be even bigger. Not only is it GSP and Anderson, but its the #1 and the #2 p4p fighters in the world. This fight would be to determine once and for all who the best pound for pound fighter in the world is. Imagine the marketability.

But with that being said, Anderson has to beat Forrest in order for this to happen. If he loses, a lot of his draw will be gone, and the UFC would never risk GSP beating him and completely killing off what drawing power he has left.

I actually like Maia more than Marquardt, and for the time being, Forrest slightly more than Anderson. But with the crazy possible fight sequence that comes with them losing, it's hard not to root against them. This is assuming the UFC is thinking what I'm thinking anyway.

I can't wait to see what happens.
Rush
7/13/09 9:07:37AM
I am almost wondering if Dana would have said the same thing if Bisping won the fight. I get teh hunch that Dana feels that a title match with Bisping would be a better promotion in the UK.

That being said, I didn't think he (Dana) should have announced that the winner of the Henderson-Bisping fight would get a title shot. I think if Marquardt beats Maia, which I think is a high probability, he should get the next shot.

I wouldn't complain if Henderson got a shot based on his three wins, but I just don't see too many guys for him to fight right now in order to secure that spot.
RNC
7/13/09 8:03:46PM

Posted by Rush

I am almost wondering if Dana would have said the same thing if Bisping won the fight. I get teh hunch that Dana feels that a title match with Bisping would be a better promotion in the UK.

That being said, I didn't think he (Dana) should have announced that the winner of the Henderson-Bisping fight would get a title shot. I think if Marquardt beats Maia, which I think is a high probability, he should get the next shot.

I wouldn't complain if Henderson got a shot based on his three wins, but I just don't see too many guys for him to fight right now in order to secure that spot.

Exactly. A championship fight with Bisping against Silva in the UK would've been HUGE. Dana's no idiot, and that's why Bisping would've gotten the title shot if he had beaten Henderson. Similiar to Akiyama getting FOTN when his fight was just lackluster. The UFC treats their fighters who have draw power with special treatment.
cmill21
7/14/09 12:32:09AM

Posted by RNC

Exactly. A championship fight with Bisping against Silva in the UK would've been HUGE. Dana's no idiot, and that's why Bisping would've gotten the title shot if he had beaten Henderson. Similiar to Akiyama getting FOTN when his fight was just lackluster. The UFC treats their fighters who have draw power with special treatment.

Lackluster? Really? Your lucky you have a hot avy
Aaronno9
7/14/09 12:35:21AM
I hope he gets the shot. He deserves it at the end of the day, and I really want to see Anderson get the K.O this time.
cmill21
7/14/09 12:47:55AM

Posted by Aaronno9

I hope he gets the shot. He deserves it at the end of the day, and I really want to see Anderson get the K.O this time.

Nah, won't happen
shane
7/15/09 5:19:52PM

You had some good points, and you may just be on to something. However, there is one fatal flaw in your logic. If Silva loses to Forrest, moves back down and loses to Hendo/Maia/Marquardt, then he'll never get to fight GSP. There won't be a point anymore. GSP will be the #1 p4p fighter in the world and will never fight somebody who's on a two fight losing streak.

So maybe Silva 0-2, but not quite 0-3.

I actually like Maia more than Marquardt, and for the time being, Forrest slightly more than Anderson. But with the crazy possible fight sequence that comes with them losing, it's hard not to root against them. This is assuming the UFC is thinking what I'm thinking anyway.

I can't wait to see what happens.

Maia over Marquardt unless there is some flash KO.

Silva will fight GSP. He has too. Silva will have NO ONE left to fight. He will have made a fool of himself by this point and will be look to show the fans he is the p4p still. It won't mean as much to those of us who know a thing or two about the sport. But the common fan will be ok with it still. Heck I have no problem seeing "frenchie" beat his arse.
If Silva can survive all 5 rounds(if there is still a title to be had), we may see our first multi- 10-8 rounds....
I perdict GSP by TKO in 2nd... or 50-42, 50-42, 50-43 across the board UD for GSP
Forrest might even be able to 10-8 him???

Even with a win Bisping shouldn't have gotten a shot over Maia or Marquardt !!!