Is Dan Henderson Sluggish at 185lbs?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Is Dan Henderson Sluggish at 185lbs?
juanez13
2/24/08 9:53:25PM
That's what Frank Trigg claims in his MMA Junkie column:

However, Henderson's best feature can and might be his biggest weakness: he is such a gifted athlete with incredible strength that he tends not to train hard for his fights. He seems to do better when he is not cutting weight, and he sometimes brings his game up to only as tough as his opponent will be on that night. He will wait for his opportunity and strike with such a force that it will dislocate your eyebrows, but for a long time, he seemed only able to win fights by long, drawn-out decisions.
Gorgeous George, my co-host at TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), and I were talking about this fight, and the gorgeous one has this to say about Henderson: "He's fought some great top fighters, including the UFC's current 205-lb. champ (Jackson) and knocked out the previous 205-lb. PRIDE champ (Silva), but the big question is whether that translates to him having a favorable match up at 185. He just doesn't seem as active at 185, and that is one of the great mysteries of MMA."

What the hell is he talking about?! If a guy drops from 205 to 185, he should be stronger, faster and way more active at a lower weight. Do I believe that? Absolutely! Period! Well, except when it has to deal with Henderson. He is slower and sluggish at 185. He does seem to move a little less and have a lot -- a lot - more patience. So much patience, in fact, that it seems that he will wait for the bell instead of attacking his opponent.

A quick look at Henderson on Sherdog seems to confirm at least part of Trigg's claim: before moving up to KO Wanderlei Silva at PRIDE 33, Henderson went on a four fight decision streak at 183lbs . He decisioned Belfort and Bustamante and even split a pair of decisions against Kazuo Misaki. But his brutal 2005 demolitions of Akihiro Gono and Ryo Chonan would seem to put the lie to Trigg's claims

LINK
SmileR
2/24/08 10:10:23PM
If you look back through his whole record though it's littered with decisions regardless of his weight.

I kind of get where they're coming from but they can't say he looks sluggish as 185/183!
Hendo fights his fight regardless of his weight and always looks on the ball of things.
I think we'll see the same Hendo that showed up for the Rampage fight but this time he won't be out muscled.
I doubt he'll be looking for a decision with the title on the line and I know he won't want to lose both his titles in his first two UFC fights.

Good find man.
Tein_Lung
2/25/08 6:33:45AM
if you look though the history of MMA you will prollr find that Wrestlers are about 50/50 desision and stopage where as BJJ guys and strikers tend to finish more
DevonFoxy
2/25/08 9:46:51AM
I guess we are going to have to ask Anderson if Henderson looked sluggish.

Personally I'm more interested if Anderson can keep up his pace going 5 rounds if it does in fact go that far. He's had a couple of very quick fights right in a row so im interested how his stamina and ect. work for him.