Dan Henderson vs. Lyoto Machida Bout Now in Doubt for UFC 156

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dan Henderson vs. Lyoto Machida Bout Now in Doubt for UFC 156
Biggavelli
11/14/12 12:57:30AM
A UFC light heavyweight showdown between two of the top fighters in the division, Dan Henderson and Lyoto Machida, has been targeted for UFC 156 on Super Bowl weekend, but a shadow of doubt lingers over the fight… at least for the Feb. 2 event slated for Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

While Henderson said on last week’s edition of MMA Uncensored Live on Spike TV that he was told that UFC 156 was the target for such a bout, the injured knee that kept him out of the UFC 151 headliner against Jon Jones may delay a bout with Machida.

Henderson has returned to training, but has been taking things slow, making sure that he allows his knee to fully heal, so as not to set him back any further.

UFC officials, according to a report on Tuesday night’s UFC Tonight on Fuel TV, aren’t quite comfortable pulling the trigger and setting a Henderson vs. Machida bout for UFC 156 just yet.

The fight still looks likely to happen, it’s just a matter of if it will happen at UFC 156, and if not, when?

The UFC has already announced a handful of dates that closely follow Super Bowl weekend event with UFC on Fuel TV 6 on Feb. 16, UFC 157 on Feb. 23, and UFC on Fuel TV 8 on March 2. So there is ample opportunity to move that bout back by two or three weeks to ensure Henderson’s knee is fully recovered.

LINK
DrivenDavies15
11/14/12 1:55:33AM
Not surprising with Overeem/Bigfoot added. My guess is it headlines or co-headlines UFC 157 less than a month later
prozacnation1978
11/14/12 8:16:09AM
I will be happy with main or co main of 157
Bubbles
11/14/12 9:36:52AM
I don't want to see Henderson lose, and Machida is like his stylistic kryptonite. I hope they scrap this fight altogether
sparky
11/14/12 9:48:04AM

Posted by Bubbles

I don't want to see Henderson lose, and Machida is like his stylistic kryptonite. I hope they scrap this fight altogether

I swear on my life Bubs I came on this thread to write the exact same thing. I hate this fight Hendo is title shot worthy at this point and Machida is going to beat him by circling away and landing kicks to the body and legs not a fan of this fight at all.
BillsNewAccount
11/14/12 11:27:47AM

And I thought I was the only one...
infestructure
11/14/12 5:40:37PM
Agreed. Hendo and the Dragon can happen when there isn't an upstart young champion who needs a beatdown

Also Overroid Testostereem gets to wait for the next shot at JDS
Budgellism
11/15/12 10:41:19PM

Posted by sparky

Posted by Bubbles

I swear on my life Bubs I came on this thread to write the exact same thing. I hate this fight Hendo is title shot worthy at this point and Machida is going to beat him by circling away and landing kicks to the body and legs not a fan of this fight at all.

I completely agree with both of you. I don't like fighters getting hurt obviously but I'm kind of hoping Chael or Jones gets hurt and one of these two replaces them. Preferably Sonnen so Hendo can step in and get his shot before he retires.
MMAcca
11/17/12 8:50:19AM

Posted by sparky

Posted by Bubbles

WAR MACHIDA!!!