What is Dan Henderson's next career move?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What is Dan Henderson's next career move?
pmoney
7/31/11 9:54:05AM
Alright folks. Here's a two part question for you, if you care to participate. First, what do you think Dan Henderson's next career move should be? Defending his SF LHW belt, maybe moving to the UFC, or something else altogether?

Second, how do you think Zuffa will try and play all of this? Hendo always shines come contract time, but that still didn't help him after his massacre of Michael Bisping. Do they low ball Dangerous Dan and give him Decision Dan money? Or does he loot up with a big contract? (I hope so!)

How do you see this whole deal playing out?
warglory
7/31/11 10:11:23AM
I don't think low ball is a fair description. Zuffa is fair about compensating guys that continue to win in big ways in their companies, which leaves me to believe that Hendo was being unreasonable. If Hendo asks for too much, there's no reason why Zuffa should sign him. Hendo needs Zuffa more than Zuffa needs Hendo.
SmileR
7/31/11 10:32:31AM
I don't think Zuffa were lowballin' him just not willing to pay the same money Strikeforce was at the time. Hendo regardless of how good he is has never been able to command the same number of PPV buys as guys like Chuck, Tito, Brock, Rampage, GSP and Anderson.
Regardless of Dans recent big wins over Babalu, Cavalcante and Fedor he still got dominated by Shields. A guy who just lost to GSP at WW and that'll hurt his chances if he negotiates with the UFC.

I think he'll stick with Strikeforce and defend the belt a few times before age finally does catch up with him and he retires. Once he does though I think he'll be in the UFC hall of fame.
sbulldavid
7/31/11 11:22:35AM
I think he'll rematch Silva if Silva defeats Okami.
pmoney
7/31/11 11:23:10AM

Posted by SmileR

I don't think Zuffa were lowballin' him just not willing to pay the same money Strikeforce was at the time. Hendo regardless of how good he is has never been able to command the same number of PPV buys as guys like Chuck, Tito, Brock, Rampage, GSP and Anderson.
Regardless of Dans recent big wins over Babalu, Cavalcante and Fedor he still got dominated by Shields. A guy who just lost to GSP at WW and that'll hurt his chances if he negotiates with the UFC.

I think he'll stick with Strikeforce and defend the belt a few times before age finally does catch up with him and he retires. Once he does though I think he'll be in the UFC hall of fame.

SmileR, you and Warglory both make good points. Perhaps lowballing wasn't the best description.... I definitely feel like $800,000 is a ridiculous amount of money to make, for anyone in the sport. Maybe for a fight of this caliber and hype, that's ok. But I mean, Tito got paid $450,000 to fight Ryan Bader. Bader is not a draw, and I do not think Tito is anymore, either. I think the buys of the last PPV he was on proved that. Maybe now he will draw because people might be inclined to think he has a shot at winning fights.

In my opinion, Henderson deserves to make top money in the sport. He deserves just as much as a Tito or Anderson Silva or Lyoto Machida. Pay the dude at least six figures a fight. Sure, he may not bring in the PPV buys in huge numbers, but who REALLY does these days besides Brock?

And RE: the Jake Shields loss.... I think if Hendo can cut to 185 injury free (which I don't think he was for the Shields fight), he wins that 9 out of 10 times. He damn near finished Jake in the first minute, and I know Hendo and I both regret that not happening...
BeeR
7/31/11 11:50:25AM
now that he has a win against Fedor under his belt, he will think he is worth even more money, Dana didnt like his price before, he wont pay it now
prophecy033
7/31/11 12:36:21PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I think he'll rematch Silva if Silva defeats Okami.

I would much rather see GSP v Silva, since DW said if they made it through these next two fights (diaz, okami) they would most likely fight eachother.
I did feel that hendo won the first rounds in his fight with silva so that gives me a little hope that if they were to fight again Henderson may make it a little more interesting. It's just that Silva loves to fight a fighter with sloppy standup, and hendo gets a little wild at times
Chael_Sonnen
7/31/11 2:19:19PM
Let Dangerous Dan defend his belt at least one time.....maybe break King Mo's jaw in the process (if he wins his next fight)
Chael_Sonnen
7/31/11 2:20:32PM
Before I forget....speaking of next career moves....anybody notice Matt Lindland in Dan's corner? Very interesting.....War Team Quest
pmoney
7/31/11 3:00:36PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Before I forget....speaking of next career moves....anybody notice Matt Lindland in Dan's corner? Very interesting.....War Team Quest

I noticed, but until now I completely forgot they were suing each other, lol.... I guess business can tear friends apart, but when it comes to a revenge ass whooping, nothing brings friends closer together!
mrsmiley
7/31/11 3:03:35PM
I actually wouldn't mind seeing him take on shields again.
prophecy033
7/31/11 3:28:57PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I would like to see that fight again, but beings Dan is the champ of Strikeforce, the only fight that make sense is to fight the UFC champ or sign an extension with Strikeforce
kingsmasher
7/31/11 4:00:52PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by mrsmiley

I would like to see that fight again, but beings Dan is the champ of Strikeforce, the only fight that make sense is to fight the UFC champ or sign an extension with Strikeforce

Dan Henderson against Jon Jones...That would be a bad day for Dan...
prophecy033
7/31/11 4:19:32PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by mrsmiley

Dan Henderson against Jon Jones...That would be a bad day for Dan...

yes it would, although hendo has a greco background, Jones reach is just too much of an advantage. Longest reach in ufc history as of this point