Dan Henderson: Anderson Silva Doomed in “Clinch Game”

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dan Henderson: Anderson Silva Doomed in “Clinch Game”
TNunley
1/7/08 9:41:21AM
PRIDE 185-pound champion Dan Henderson is less than two months away with his UFC 82 title fight with UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva, and in a recent interview with our friend Steve Sievert at the Houston Chronicle, Henderson says he’s expecting nothing short of victory.

In fact, Henderson is confident he’ll beat Silva at his own game.

MMAJunkie
grappler0000
1/7/08 10:06:24AM
That's more or less how I see it happening.
jgtribbett
1/7/08 10:07:02AM
I want hendo to go in there and do just that... beat him up
AchillesHeel
1/7/08 12:47:08PM
I'm very curious about the wrestler's clinch-vs-Muay Thai clinch myself. Can anyone can think of any good examples from previous fights? Doesn't have to be Hendo or Silva, per se, just a good wrestler vs a good Muay Thai fighter.
TNunley
1/7/08 1:48:53PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I'm very curious about the wrestler's clinch-vs-Muay Thai clinch myself. Can anyone can think of any good examples from previous fights? Doesn't have to be Hendo or Silva, per se, just a good wrestler vs a good Muay Thai fighter.

Hendo has fought a few guys with Thai training... Yvel and Shogun's brother Murilo. He won both of those fights, but by decision. Other than that... I dunno
AchillesHeel
1/7/08 1:58:38PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by AchillesHeel

Hendo has fought a few guys with Thai training... Yvel and Shogun's brother Murilo. He won both of those fights, but by decision. Other than that... I dunno

...and of course he beat Wanderlei Silva, although I don't remember him doing it by winning the clinch.

Anderson Silva, for his part, knocked the crap out of Rich Franklin in the clinch, although Ace's wrestling probably isn't as good as Hendo's.
Twenty20Dollars
1/7/08 2:21:37PM
anderson knockout with a big knee.

note: hendo never been knocked out
cmill21
1/7/08 2:37:08PM
See I don't think Anderson can KO Hendo. He ussually does so much damage to guys that they quit losing by TKO, Hendo doesn't ussually quit. I think Hendo will win by UD, wrestling, standing, ect. I think he'll try and get his right off but I don't see him standing for to long. I honestly don't care who wins.
jae_1833
1/7/08 2:38:41PM
I'm going with Hendo via GNP....althoug I see it taking some time to do it...3rd round...just because if he wants to be I am sure Anderson can avoid Dan and just strike with him for a while.
tuvok500
1/7/08 2:42:00PM
Anderson silva wil TKO Dan Henderson in rd 2 at 2 min 46 sec !!

mark my word !! lol

And after another full year of total domination by Silva, Dana will ask GSP to move up in the MW !!

GSP will overwhelm Silva on the ground and will sub him in rd 3 !!

GSP will be the WW champ and the MW champ in 2009 !!!

Leland
1/7/08 2:54:02PM

Posted by tuvok500

Anderson silva wil TKO Dan Henderson in rd 2 at 2 min 46 sec !!

mark my word !! lol

And after another full year of total domination, Dana will ask GSP to move up in the MW !!

GSP will overwhelm Silva on the ground and will sub him in rd 3 !!

GSP will be the WW champ and the MW champ in 2009 !!!

lol

going for dan by clinch. eat some knees silva. if that doesnt work for dan then i can see a GNP happening. war dan!
roman
1/7/08 2:55:05PM
He's going to do exactly what he says, beat the crap out of Silva.

I am scared if it goes to the ground though, Silva is so weird he has a chance of tapping Hendo.

And Tuvok, get off of GSP's nuts. lol they must be stretched to the floor with you canadians hugging they so hard.
McBee
1/7/08 3:14:29PM
Silva is amazing and I think he will be too quick for Hendo's looping punches and too dynamic a striker that Hendo will ever land an effective combination. Hendo has to control him and pull off a boring wrestler win(Like most of Lindland's fights). and if he gets too sloppy with his GnP we will see another sub like the Lutter fight, Silva is good at avoiding strikes from the guard and if he gets beat it will not be exciting. How do you lose to Misaki and then beat Wandy, I love MMA.

An Silva will find a way and you all always doubt him. Man I would love to see GSP versus Silva.
NatedawgThaM
1/7/08 3:57:04PM
I think it's more on if Dan can keep his stamina up. He was fighting the bigger fighter in Rampage and he looked really tired from the 3rd round and beyond which is why he lost the fight. I think Silva's pin point accuracy will be too much. I think he'll be a counter puncher like Chuck and back up while annoying and wearing Dan down with some hard shots. You know, make him get desparate since he's losing on the feet and force the takedown.

It's very hard to fight Anderson on the ground with those extremely long limbs. I just see Anderson wearing him down like I said with counter shots on the feet, being to quick and slick off his back to get back to his fight. And just making it a very miserable fight.

Anderson Silva by Late 3rd-4th rd. TKO(Ref jumps in!)

SmileR
1/7/08 4:32:50PM
I think Hendo's got it in the bag. I can see Silva realizing he's taken on to much by the end of the first round an then Dan pummeling him all through the second.
Hendo's going to walk through Silva and I'm a big fan of both.
telnights
1/7/08 4:33:12PM
Dan has been hanging around his buddy Lindland to much to think he will beat Silva in the Clinch game. The Clinch was one of the strongest parts of Rich Franklin's game and we seen what happened there. If isn't careful he is going to end up with a frankinose.

His best bet is to keep shooting and to keep this fight on the ground. Then just GnP his way to a UD. Even doing this I think Silva is still going to end up catching him and putting him away with a TKO. If doesn't end this way he will make a mistake on ground and Silva will exploit it and sub him.
therionace
1/7/08 5:20:27PM

rampage is considered a good wrestler. he fought wandy silva twice, and both times rampage was smashed in the thai clinch. also, shogun and rampage met, and again, rampage was destroyed in the thai clinch.

I can't see henderson out striking silva in the clinch, but he could very well take him down. by the way, franklin defended the thai clinch like an amateur. he deserved to be beatin up.
bullettdodger
1/7/08 6:16:46PM
Silva by TKO round 2... but a great fight should happen and i think it could really go either way... thats really all i have to say about that.
silverbullet
1/7/08 7:20:49PM
Liddell destroyed Silva in the clinch. Maybe Hendo should take a couple of pointers.
Murd3rfac3
1/7/08 9:20:07PM
As much as I like Dan Henderson, I don't think he's gonna even come close to beating Silva.

Silva is something else as of late, he's not the fighter I watched in Pride, and he's not the guy that took Leben out in less then a minute. He's not even the guy I saw shock the world when he disposed of Rich Franklin. He's something so much scarier now. He is a ring general and his striking is the most accurate I think I've ever seen.

I think Dan Henderson is great, but I see this fight going bad for him. Silva is gonna back up and let his freakish reach do the work for him. He won't get KOed right away but I see him catching one on the chin at somepoint in the fight and not getting up.
jomatty
1/7/08 11:11:55PM
i dont know who will win but i doubt even anderson plans on the clinch being a big key to victory. dan is an olympic caliber greco guy, and when olympic caliber greco guys get ahold of your upper body you hit the mat. the keys to winning as i see it are for anderson to just pick him apart and stay on his feet and for dan to put him on his back and keep him there. dan's sub defense is very very good so imo he is not gonna get tapped. i doubt silva will even try to clinch with him too much he will try to stay outside, use leg kicks to take away his shot, and pick him apart. if he can beat up dans legs really bad it could be a lot tougher for him to take anderson down.

ok there is my game plan if im either fighter. silva kicks kicks kicks the legs and picks him apart from outside and dan puts him on his back and keeps him there. that said, with these two dan can end any fight with a big right hand and anderson can catch anyone and knock em out with a flurry at any time, even someone with as good a chin as dan.
ncordless
1/8/08 1:04:17AM

Posted by silverbullet

Liddell destroyed Silva in the clinch. Maybe Hendo should take a couple of pointers.

Ummm, what are you talking about? Liddell has never fought Anderson Silva. Liddell did just beat Wanderlei Silva, but that fight did not happen in the clinch. As far as Hendo taking pointers from Chuck on how to beat Wanderlei... I think Chuck and Hendo would take a KO over a decision win any day.

Hendo can win in the clinch. He is a Greco Roman wrestler. For those that don't know, that is wrestling done only in the clinch. Hendo's clinch is going to be alot like Randy Couture's. Dirty boxing, cage control, and takedowns. I seriously doubt Hendo is thinking of Thai clinching Silva.

cmill21
1/8/08 1:22:40AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by silverbullet

Ummm, what are you talking about? Liddell has never fought Anderson Silva. Liddell did just beat Wanderlei Silva, but that fight did not happen in the clinch. As far as Hendo taking pointers from Chuck on how to beat Wanderlei... I think Chuck and Hendo would take a KO over a decision win any day.

Hendo can win in the clinch. He is a Greco Roman wrestler. For those that don't know, that is wrestling done only in the clinch. Hendo's clinch is going to be alot like Randy Couture's. Dirty boxing, cage control, and takedowns. I seriously doubt Hendo is thinking of Thai clinching Silva.

I also saw no decemation in that fight, and there was maybe once when they kind of clinched a bit, but even Liddell said he was surprised Wand didn't try to clinch with him.
Pookie
1/10/08 4:46:32PM
Dan hendersons clinch game was pretty much ruined by Misakis judo, another clinch based style. I would go silva
Boo_Radley21
1/10/08 5:19:21PM
It's tough to call because they use the clinch for very different ways. Silva uses more strikes from the clinch and Henderson should be using to to get the takedown. Both guy has his strengths and it will be an interesting fight I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
g_t_12
1/10/08 7:00:00PM
The main thought going through my head is a memory from when Danny boy fought Rampage...

Anyone remember those heavy vertical knees that Henderson was landing to Rampage's thighs in the first round? Those would snap Anderson's skinny leg like a twig.

I see Silva getting TKOd in the first round due to supreme Charlie-Horse.
Hooker
1/23/08 7:21:20PM

Posted by cmill21

See I don't think Anderson can KO Hendo. He ussually does so much damage to guys that they quit losing by TKO, Hendo doesn't ussually quit. I think Hendo will win by UD, wrestling, standing, ect. I think he'll try and get his right off but I don't see him standing for to long. I honestly don't care who wins.

The thing is a TKO does not come from the guy getting hit, it comes from the ref deciding the other guy can't go on. We've all seen fights where someone is conscious and wants to keep fighting but is eating shot after shot with no credible defense and is just totally overwhelmed due to a stunning blow.

If their is a TKO on the feet, it will be this way, Hendo gets hit and temporarily stunned and then eats a million laser guided punches and the ref steps in afraid of brain damage.

If their is a TKO on the ground it will be Hendo dropping torrent of heavy elbows and hammerfists.

Someone mentioned that Hendo's clinch as a silver metal greco guy is going to be better than Silva's... those clinches are worlds apart. If Anderson gets the plum Hendo is going to scramble like mad to either trip him, or escape... because despite what Hendo thinks, if the plum is picked trying to throw him or punch out of it is damn difficult, and I don't think he is good enough.

OTOH He IS good enough to keep the plum from being grabbed, and in his interview where he talks about not getting out of position to open himself up to strikes this is probably what he is refering to. By all rights Hendo should never have to worry about the plum because any clinches should involve over and under hooks, his bread and butter.