So Dan Henderson

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » So Dan Henderson
Willyum
4/14/09 11:47:28PM
is he the best inter pounder ever, dude will fight middle, light heavy, and heavy and has wins in all weight classes mainly lh which is by far the best division
bjj1605
4/15/09 12:44:40AM
i would have to say BJ Penn. But dan henderson is a close second. BJ has fought as high as LHW maybe Heavy?? He's had titles both at LW and WW and been top ten in both consistently.
Bowen50
4/15/09 1:01:16AM

Posted by bjj1605

i would have to say BJ Penn. But dan henderson is a close second. BJ has fought as high as LHW maybe Heavy?? He's had titles both at LW and WW and been top ten in both consistently.

he's fought in every weight class but heavyweight. i believe Henderson is better than BJ at competing in multiple divisions. 4 of BJ's 5 losses have come at higher weight classes. Henderson, i think we can all agree his natural weight class is 185, holds wins over Franklin, Wanderlei, and Big Nog at weight classes above 185. he also took Rampage to a close decision. i'd have to say Henderson has fought and beaten the better competition at weight classes above his own. not to mention he is the only fighter to hold belts in 2 divisions simultaneously.
The_Ho_Bag
4/15/09 1:23:35AM

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by bjj1605

he's fought in every weight class but heavyweight. i believe Henderson is better than BJ at competing in multiple divisions. 4 of BJ's 5 losses have come at higher weight classes. Henderson, i think we can all agree his natural weight class is 185, holds wins over Franklin, Wanderlei, and Big Nog at weight classes above 185. he also took Rampage to a close decision. i'd have to say Henderson has fought and beaten the better competition at weight classes above his own. not to mention he is the only fighter to hold belts in 2 divisions simultaneously.

bjj1605
4/15/09 1:30:55AM
I guess he's been more successful out of his division so I agree. Still BJ Penn is a little man fighting big men. That's always a good story. Not because I have Napoleon complex or anything (I'm 6'5 210lbs). I just like it because I'm a jiu jitsu guy.

There is always something interesting about a small fighter with great technique facing bigger and stronger competition. Maybe that's why I feel BJ edges him out.

Maybe its the fact that despite being natural at 185 Hendo has a strength advantage over many opponents.

Still from a rational stand point you're right.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
4/15/09 2:36:29AM
I would agree with Hendo . Kid yamamoto should get some love for going undefeated ( not counting the cut tko loss , he would destroy paling in rematch)from bantam to lightweight.
Pookie
4/15/09 2:41:37AM
Im pretty sure both BJ and Machida were heavyweights at the time of that fight.
State_Champ
4/15/09 6:44:44AM
BJ stil has a belt.
The_Ho_Bag
4/15/09 9:46:35AM

Posted by State_Champ

BJ stil has a belt.

but has been nearly successful as hendo in the divisions hes fought at.
Franklinfan47
4/15/09 10:13:14AM
Hendo held two seperate division belts at the same time in Pride, no easy task, so I'd say he gets the nod
State_Champ
4/15/09 10:21:41AM
I say Couture is the best, but I'm sure that's just because he is my favorite.

I think 'the best' depends on how you judge success.

cowcatcher
4/15/09 11:19:39AM
i think bowen said it best. i have to spread the love but that was right on.
TsekaPrivet
4/15/09 2:54:19PM
Couture is the most accomplished inter pounder.

He may have not held both titles at the same time but he has more than 1 title in each division.
mkiv9secsupra
4/15/09 4:04:13PM
I would give a slight edge for Hendo over BJ. They both are consistent title contenders in different weight classes...

Henderson has fought and beaten guys like Franklin, Wanderlei, Belfort, Babalu, Rodgrigo Nogueira, Ninja Rua and Newton as well as seriously causing problems for guys like Rampage, Arona, and Big Nog. A whos who list on Henderson's record.
BJ's list of top contender wins is a bit shorter. He has beaten Gomi, Sherk, Pulver, Serra, Hughes and Din Thomas(at the time he was a top fighter). That is the only reason i give the nod to Henderson, simply experience....
But Couture is NOT the best interweight fighter imo. His LHW record is 4-3(far from impressive) and never had a real HW win streak of any kind.

Normally there isnt much weight behind a fighters record but to answer a question like this numbers are everything and Henderson is leading the way.

Aaronno9
4/15/09 5:54:05PM
Id say Fedor could be a contender for this list. I mean, I know its not like hes actually going though weight classes, but for the majority of his fights he seems to have been outweighed. Sometimes by a pretty big margin to.
prozacnation1978
4/16/09 2:36:38AM
i vote for randy!!!!!!!!
gartface
4/16/09 9:26:49AM
Henderson shows time and time again that he is game at any weight. Bowen said it best, I don't really have much more to add except War Hendo!
State_Champ
4/16/09 9:41:24AM
Randy has held titles 5 times, right?
gartface
4/16/09 9:48:00AM

Posted by State_Champ

Randy has held titles 5 times, right?

How many fighters have been given as many title fights as Randy?