Dan Hardy: I Want the UFC Title

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dan Hardy: I Want the UFC Title
MMAcca
9/16/08 11:52:52PM
Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy is not going into the UFC to make up the numbers. Hardy makes his debut with the promotion when he takes on Akihiro Gono at UFC 89: Bisping vs Leben. The Nottingham fighter is aiming to make a major impact in the octagon.

He told Gareth A Davies of Telegraph.co.uk:

“That’s my main goal - to be the first British title holder. I’m chasing Michael Bisping who is way ahead of me right now, but there’s no reason why one of us can’t take a belt in the next couple of years. The key is that we are a bit behind the fighters in the US on a technical level and in the quality of training, but that’s why I’m happy to go abroad to be able to bring the level up.”

Hardy has put in outstanding performances on the European scene over a number of years. He has spent a lot of time training in the United States take his game to the next level. Hardy took the opportunity to fine tune his wrestling and jiu jitsu:

“We are always going to be outclassed by the level of training they have out there. GSP (Georges St Pierre, the current UFC welterweight champion) never wrestled at high school but has dominated wrestlers in the cage. We need to be willing to put the time in, and we need to travel to do that. If we get the top guys coming to train UK fighters, we will see huge leaps in the standard of British MMA.”

Hardy told Davies he had benefited from training with Eddie Bravo:

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
9/16/08 11:58:59PM
Im taking Gono to beat hardy, so might be a long road if hardy wants that ufc title.
prozacnation1978
9/17/08 2:02:03AM
i got hardy but he ain't gonna beat top 5 guys in the division
Mchubb316
9/17/08 2:42:37AM
I know one reason they can't take the belt. They call him the Spider.
haggiswashere
9/17/08 4:42:30AM

Posted by Mchubb316

I know one reason they can't take the belt. They call him the Spider.

they are welterweights bud. EDIT:except michael bisbing of course
hodge
9/17/08 8:41:32AM
I wish Dana could sign Daley aswell we got some real talented welterweights coming out of Nottingham.

You Canadians best watch out were comin for your boy
finnish_line
9/17/08 9:53:43AM

"Dan Hardy: I Want the UFC Title"

Well that's good to know.

This reminds me of politicians saying "I'm in it to win it!"
Wolfenstein
9/17/08 11:32:35AM
Dan has struggled everytime he has stepped up in competition. He's lost to Yoshida, Petz, and David Baron twice. Gono is a step above those guys with maybe the exception of David Baron.

Dan has KO power but Akihiro has a really good chin so I'd say his options are limited in this fight. If he ends up on his back I don't think it will make it out of the first round.
Aaronno9
9/17/08 2:39:18PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Dan has struggled everytime he has stepped up in competition. He's lost to Yoshida, Petz, and David Baron twice. Gono is a step above those guys with maybe the exception of David Baron.

Dan has KO power but Akihiro has a really good chin so I'd say his options are limited in this fight. If he ends up on his back I don't think it will make it out of the first round.

Well his loss to Yoshida was a weird DQ which was pretty disputed so i wouldnt read to much into that. Also, alot of these fights where before he started training in the states, his games totally improved since then, which showed when he k.o'd Chad Reiner two fights ago. And even before he stepped up his training he took Baron and petz to decisions, no shame in that.
Ben_Hutch
9/17/08 2:40:58PM
I guarantee Dan will beat Gono.
Red-Dragon
9/17/08 2:50:59PM
What do you offer as Guarantee Ben?
Wolfenstein
9/17/08 2:53:17PM
I think up until the DQ though that Yoshida was winning the fight, so I don't think the DQ makes much of a difference. It wasn't really an odd DQ at all. I don't know if Dan completely lost his mind for a minute but he straight up front snap kicked him in the groin at the beginning of the second round.
lordicast
9/17/08 4:30:25PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

I guarantee Dan will beat Gono.

I guarantee you dont know what your talk bout willis!
ncordless
9/17/08 4:36:57PM
That's nice. I want the UFC title, too. But the chances of either of us getting it are nil.
Aaronno9
9/17/08 7:49:13PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I think up until the DQ though that Yoshida was winning the fight, so I don't think the DQ makes much of a difference. It wasn't really an odd DQ at all. I don't know if Dan completely lost his mind for a minute but he straight up front snap kicked him in the groin at the beginning of the second round.

I thought the fight was pretty even up until that point. And theirs no way i beleive hardy had any intention of kicking yoshida in the box, even if yoshida was winning the fight at that point he wasnt dominating and never really had hardy in danger, so i just cant see why dan would of looked to have the fight ended that way. The reason i think it was odd was just becouse hardy didnt have any warnings, and i dont think he intended to hit yoshida in the balls.

Then you look at a fight like burns johnson, where burns was warned repeatedly, then ended the fight with an eye poke, and still wasnt disqualified. Makes me think dan got abit of a hard deal.