Dan Hardy vs. Anthony Johnson in the Works for March UFC Event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dan Hardy vs. Anthony Johnson in the Works for March UFC Event
FastKnockout
12/26/10 5:14:38PM
Welterweights Dan Hardy and Anthony Johnson have verbally agreed to square off in March, MMA Fighting has learned from sources close to the fight.

The front-runner event to host the bout is Ultimate Fight Night 24 on March 30. Although not officially announced by the organization, that card is expected to take place in Seattle, Wash. The UFC is also expected to hold events on March 3 and March 19.

LINK
FastKnockout
12/26/10 5:16:46PM
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's hard not to considering this is one of my dream match-ups in the WW! But honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if this fight didn't happen due to Johnson not being able to make weight.
Bloodhound
12/26/10 6:07:08PM
Johnson by way of manslaughter
prozacnation1978
12/26/10 6:46:26PM
I am surprised he is fighting at welterweight still
RustyRedWood206
12/26/10 7:38:45PM

Posted by Bloodhound

Johnson by way of manslaughter

Thats what i thought idk if hardy can recover from that KO.
pmoney
12/26/10 7:39:05PM
If Johnson doesn't make weight I would be willing to bet Hardy would still agree to the fight. Having said that... I think Johnson could destroy him. Hardy has a puncher's chance.
RyanC
12/26/10 7:59:35PM
I'll be taking Dan in this fight if it happens. Probably UD. Not sure why people think he doesn't have much of a chance. Anthony is good, and he's an impressive athlete, but Dan's faced better competition in his career IMO. The Condit KO was an abberation. He's never been caught like that before to my knowledge, and I don't expect it to become a trend. I think Dan should be able to out-point him on the feet on the way to a decision.
sbulldavid
12/26/10 8:55:28PM
I'm not sure who wins that fight, Johnson looks like **** sometimes at 170, I'm tired of seeing him fight at 170 because he's never going to be a champion at 170 no matter what he does, people were not made to fight with zero water weight he walks in looking like a sun dried chili pepper, go fight in a division where you can compete at your full potential and actually make weight for a title fight.
Pookie
12/26/10 10:40:54PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I'm not sure who wins that fight, Johnson looks like **** sometimes at 170, I'm tired of seeing him fight at 170 because he's never going to be a champion at 170 no matter what he does, people were not made to fight with zero water weight he walks in looking like a sun dried chili pepper, go fight in a division where you can compete at your full potential and actually make weight for a title fight.

You know what though, stylistically he would have a fairly decent chance at GSP(relative to everyone else), if only for the fact that he's HUGE, and his massive reach.
______

I think Johnson should beat Hardy, but i do see the Weight cut/ Layoff hindering his performance.

Both will brawl on the feet. Johnson has more reach and throws straight, Hardy is more loopy and stocky. Ill probably take Rumble in this match.
CCPRIDE99
12/26/10 10:56:30PM
i think johnson will prolly win this one like he was winning the first fight with burns. except this time itll go the distance and hell win by ud
ChokeUout
12/27/10 1:03:32AM
Great Match-up here. Guarenteed that there will be no Jiu-jitsu-ing in this match....

I enjoyed seeing Hardy getting knocked out by Condit too much not to be excited about the thought of Rumble getting his hands on him.

Johnson by devastating 1st round KO.
tcunningham
12/27/10 3:30:36AM
good match up, even better if hardy gets knocked out again
mattjonesy
12/27/10 6:39:30AM
Bad style match up for Hardy imo, I dont see why Johnson doesnt fight at middleweight theres less wrestlers and better style match ups for him and still wont give up any size.
Except for the obvious Sonnen, Okami, Silva, I think he stands a great chance against everyone else.
BeeR
12/27/10 8:01:37AM
less wrestlers, but more jiu jitsu based, johnson has decent wrestling at least and can survive, I think he would need a complete overhaul at MW or he would be getting subbed all over the place.
gartface
12/27/10 11:03:31AM
Wow...he gets knocked out by a perfect, clean hook, and people completely doubt his ability. I guess good fighters never get knocked out, huh?
icantthinkofanything
12/27/10 11:18:06AM
good fight.. i thought Johnson was moving up in weight class tho.

Unless Johnson plays it safe, I see Hardy throwing the left hook and landing clean anythime distance is broken winning by UD or tko.
FastKnockout
12/27/10 1:42:39PM

Posted by gartface

Wow...he gets knocked out by a perfect, clean hook, and people completely doubt his ability. I guess good fighters never get knocked out, huh?

No. Your missing the point here, buddy. It's not that everyone is doubting Hardy's chin, it's just that everyone knows Johnson is a wrecking machine against the right type of opponent, and Hardy is that type.

Honestly, I would've put money on Johnson beating him even before the Condit knockout. Johnson is one of the strongest and athletic in the division, when he's not getting poked in the eye (Burns, Koscheck) he has the chance to knockout anyone in the division.

If Johnson knocks out Hardy like I think he will, I really hope the UFC doesn't miss the opportunity to set up Alves/Johnson.
Bloodhound
12/27/10 3:10:49PM

Posted by gartface

Dan Hardy is so over-hyped, his biggest win is a Split Decision over Marcus Davis, the UFC hyped Hardy up to be more then he is so he is extremely marketable in the UK market. Like the above post said even before the Condit fight I would still pick Johnson to beat Hardy.
sbulldavid
12/27/10 4:12:16PM
I'm not so sure, Dan Hardy has a real good chin, and Rumble really hasn't beaten anybody, and I think Hardy will show he's technically better when Rumble tires, I think I give a slight edge to Hardy.
RyanC
12/27/10 4:44:18PM

Posted by Bloodhound

Posted by gartface

Dan Hardy is so over-hyped, his biggest win is a Split Decision over Marcus Davis, the UFC hyped Hardy up to be more then he is so he is extremely marketable in the UK market. Like the above post said even before the Condit fight I would still pick Johnson to beat Hardy.

Dan being overhyped is not his fault. Also who has Anthony Johnson beat? His biggest wins are probably Yoshiyuki Yoshida, and Luigi Fiorivanti and neither of them are even in the UFC anymore. At least Hardy has beat some guys that are still around, and he went 5 rounds with one of the top 2 or 3 P4P fighters in the world. Anthony Johnson can't say that. I think Johnson's got a very good chance to beat Hardy, but the fact that people are talking about this fight like Hardy has no chance is ridiculous. He's a tough dude, and he's a good fighter.

Bloodhound
12/27/10 5:25:18PM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by Bloodhound

Posted by gartface

Dan being overhyped is not his fault. Also who has Anthony Johnson beat? His biggest wins are probably Yoshiyuki Yoshida, and Luigi Fiorivanti and neither of them are even in the UFC anymore. At least Hardy has beat some guys that are still around, and he went 5 rounds with one of the top 2 or 3 P4P fighters in the world. Anthony Johnson can't say that. I think Johnson's got a very good chance to beat Hardy, but the fact that people are talking about this fight like Hardy has no chance is ridiculous. He's a tough dude, and he's a good fighter.

I never said it was Dan's fault he was over-hyped, it was UFC/Dana overhyping him. I just think Anthony Johnson is one of the worst match ups for Dan Hardy with Johnson's Power, Wrestling, Toughness, Size I think it will give Hardy fits.
RyanC
12/27/10 5:33:53PM

Posted by Bloodhound

I never said it was Dan's fault he was over-hyped, it was UFC/Dana overhyping him. I just think Anthony Johnson is one of the worst match ups for Dan Hardy with Johnson's Power, Wrestling, Toughness, Size I think it will give Hardy fits.

Yeah, you may be right. I still like Dan, and I'll pick him unless my camp completely talks me out of it. I think he'll be able to keep the distance, and use his striking to score points. He'll need to stay out of the clinch, and off his back which is probably a lot easier said than done. You've always got to factor in Johnson's conditioning too since he is such a big WW.
JJipp03
2/11/11 7:26:34PM
how much bigger will AJ look then Dan Hardy?