Damn Kem Shamrock has really fell off the radar

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Damn Kem Shamrock has really fell off the radar
POLL: Should Ken retire?
Yes 50% (19)
No 13% (5)
Shoyooken 24% (9)
Don King choice 13% (5)
StorminYourman
2/11/09 8:46:38PM
The dude is fighting a big fat guy who is 6-8 on valentines day.
(I do not want to take it further for fear of fighter bashing)

He used to be on top of the MMA world and now this.
The guy should just retire now while his legacy is not too tarnished.
Franklinfan47
2/11/09 9:09:02PM
While your overall argument is pretty harsh, I agree with your central point. Shamrock has done alot for the sport, but he hasn't won in over five years. He should seriously consider retirement.

If he can't beat this guy he's in serious trouble.
Drudinh
2/12/09 2:40:23AM
Wasn't it just so awesome when the idea for the brothers to fight was hyped up. I was sooooo excited.
Aether
2/12/09 3:26:25AM
I don't know. I agree with what Ken said in a recent interview. Basically if he wants to keep fighting and doing what he loves who are we to tell him to retire? If anyone thinks this is a stupid fight they don't have to watch it, it's not like he's taking up space on UFC payperviews or anything, he's competing and doing what he loves. He wanted to fight a huge guy to see if he can beat someone that big.

I don't really get the point of the retirement threads. The guy should retire when he wants to retire, not when other people tell him to. If fighting is what he enjoys doing then he should worry about being happy, not worry about whether fans think he's tarnishing his legacy.

What he did for the sport will never be erased no matter how many freakshow fights he does. I have no problem with him fighting until he's 80 years old if that's what he wants. I just won't watch it if I'm not interested.
StorminYourman
2/12/09 6:52:31AM

Posted by Aether

I don't know. I agree with what Ken said in a recent interview. Basically if he wants to keep fighting and doing what he loves who are we to tell him to retire? If anyone thinks this is a stupid fight they don't have to watch it, it's not like he's taking up space on UFC payperviews or anything, he's competing and doing what he loves. He wanted to fight a huge guy to see if he can beat someone that big.

I don't really get the point of the retirement threads. The guy should retire when he wants to retire, not when other people tell him to. If fighting is what he enjoys doing then he should worry about being happy, not worry about whether fans think he's tarnishing his legacy.

What he did for the sport will never be erased no matter how many freakshow fights he does. I have no problem with him fighting until he's 80 years old if that's what he wants. I just won't watch it if I'm not interested.

On the one hand I agree with all that you say ,you make very valid points,
HOWEVER Ken has not been evolving as a fighter and with the sport.His record as of recent is terrible.IF he wants t keep fighting he should swallow his pride and get in with a top notch camp ala Randy Couture style.He is for sure in his twilight fighting years.Try to look good on the way out is my feeling on it.
Franklinfan47
2/12/09 10:04:55AM

Posted by Aether

Your right, every fighter has the right to keep going as long as they want. The problem is, I (like most fans according to the poll) think he should call it quits before he tarnishes his legend even more than it already is. Its truly unfortunate to see a UFC hall of famer continually lose like he has. I love watching the old ufc's, and want to remember him they way he was back then, not the shell of his former self he is today.
JimiMak
2/12/09 4:51:26PM

Posted by Aether

Pretty much exactly what I was gonna write.
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/13/09 11:40:33AM
good, stay off it please
PABLOMAFIOSO
2/17/09 8:35:54PM
I would definately wanna see Frank vs Ken before any talk of retirement