What if Damien Maia had Jacare's Dream Middleweight Grandprix road to the championship?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What if Damien Maia had Jacare's Dream Middleweight Grandprix road to the championship?
ufc88
9/23/08 7:45:19PM
Jacare and Maia are very similar fighters. they are both top shelf brazilian jiu jitsu practitioners and ADCC champions and are both middleweights. its hard to determine who is better on the ground. Maia may have a bit better striking but Jacare has the better takedowns of the two.

so...

Round 1: Damien Maia vs. Tom Murphy - 1st round submission for Maia
Round 2: Damien Maia vs. Jason 'Mayhem' Miller - 2nd round submission for Maia
Round 3 - Semifinals: Damien Maia vs. Zelg Galesic - 1st round submission for Maia
Dream Middleweight Grand Prix Championship - Damien Maia vs. Gegard Mousasi - Maia Unanimous Decision

what do you all think?
juanez13
9/23/08 7:59:28PM
They are very similar, somethings i've see that they differ are: Jacare brings a more intense game, very fast paced, and alot more wild, while Maia comes more with a technical approach. Maia moves very smoothly in the ground, while Jacare is always throwing punches and transitions very fast.

Maia vs murphy : Maia first round sub

Maia vs Mayhem: Maia 1st round sub, Jacare had the mount a couple times, but was a bit wild with punches giving Mayhem the chance to scape, Maia wouldnt go crazy with punches if he had the mount, and I see him being able to mantain the mount, and with a 10 min round I think he'd get the sub.

Maia vs Selg -> Maia round 1 sub

Maia vs Mousasi-> Maia round 2 sub, Jacare made a mistake by standing up and throwing big shots, I dont think Maia would do that, instead he would stay down a look to pass the guard. Mousasi is a though durable guy, and i see him lasting till the second until Maia catches him in an RNC.
bullettdodger
9/24/08 10:13:20AM
Call me crazy but i just don't think Maia could sub Miller either. If Jacare couldn't do it i just don't think Maia would be able to do it. Maia's Takedowns aren't as aggressive or successful as Jacare's and i think Mayhem would be able to keep it on his feet or at least be able to defend and get back to his feet. Either way Jacare or Maia, both would have gotten up kicked Mousasi... and that pretty much solves everything. Nothing would have changed
Aaronno9
9/24/08 10:26:45AM

Posted by bullettdodger

Call me crazy but i just don't think Maia could sub Miller either. If Jacare couldn't do it i just don't think Maia would be able to do it. Maia's Takedowns aren't as aggressive or successful as Jacare's and i think Mayhem would be able to keep it on his feet or at least be able to defend and get back to his feet. Either way Jacare or Maia, both would have gotten up kicked Mousasi... and that pretty much solves everything. Nothing would have changed

I think miller would of stopped maia though.
jiujitsufreak74
9/24/08 2:32:22PM
Maia would not have been able to take Gegard down, and would have been KOed imo. Jacare was on his way to the winners circle, but he made one mistake and payed for it. i would Jacare in the rematch, but Gegard capitalized on what he was given. Maia does not have the taked down ability just yet to make him a force to be feared by all MWs like Jacare and Palhares have. also, imo, Jacare has a lot better offensive JJ and is better at finding submissions than Maia. especially in MMA, Maia has looked very tentative with his submission attempts while Jacare looks very fluid and flashy.
tepid55
9/24/08 2:51:38PM
Maia may have been able to make the finals, but I think Gegard would have beaten him by ko or tko.
Sensoria
9/26/08 12:33:55AM
From what I see Jacare and Mousasi are better.