Damien Maia's first loss

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Damien Maia's first loss
copcopps
2/3/09 8:26:31PM
Who beats him first. I think Palhares will try to grind him out by a UD or is Kang's not lazy could knock him out
tuvok500
2/3/09 8:30:41PM

Posted by copcopps

Who beats him first. I think Palhares will try to grind him out by a UD or is Kang's not lazy could knock him out

he will only lose to A. Silva and i am not even sure, if he can clinch and pull guard, Silva will tap in the next 2 minutes.

haggiswashere
2/3/09 8:31:48PM
I think Franklin if he moved down to middleweight, Or eventually Anderson Silva. I think Dan Henderson has a shot. of course there is always........
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Twenty20Dollars
2/3/09 11:16:07PM
I think dont Maia will face kang or palhares.

I just hope he keeps winning, how bout that.
loller90278
2/3/09 11:33:06PM
i might get flamed for this but i think maia is a bit overrated. hes not even close to palhares on the ground (from grappling tournaments) and his striking is a bit lackluster. anybody who has good striking and good TD defense can beat him. EG: Dan henderson, Marquardt, heck, i'd even pick bisping against maia.
copcopps
2/3/09 11:37:46PM

Posted by loller90278

i might get flamed for this but i think maia is a bit overrated. hes not even close to palhares on the ground (from grappling tournaments) and his striking is a bit lackluster. anybody who has good striking and good TD defense can beat him. EG: Dan henderson, Marquardt, heck, i'd even pick bisping against maia.

I actually agree with you on that I was actually originally asking who was better Maia or Palhares but I actually decided that more people could beat him aside from Palhares
jiujitsufreak74
2/3/09 11:47:58PM

Posted by loller90278

well i agree that he is overrated, but he is 100 times better than Palhares on the ground in terms of pure BJJ. he has accomplished a heck of a lot more than Palhares has in grappling tournamnets, but if you mean MMA grappling i can see making a case for it, but i still think Maia is superior on the ground.
loller90278
2/4/09 3:10:38AM
oh you're right JJfreak. i thought palhares was the more accomplished grappler, but it seems that maia is.
DCRage
2/4/09 7:43:40AM
One of the Silvas. With Wandy reportedly moving to 185 Anderson is no longer the easy answer.
ncordless
2/4/09 8:07:30AM

Posted by DCRage

One of the Silvas. With Wandy reportedly moving to 185 Anderson is no longer the easy answer.

I doubt Wandy and Maia fight anytime soon considering Wandy cornered Maia at UFC 87.
gsquat
2/4/09 10:05:29AM
No. Maia would UD Palhares. I love them both, but Maia is more active and would pull out the UD. Neither would be subbed or KO'd. Maia's first loss will probably come from a Hendo type. A good wrestler who can avoid submissions. I think Maia would eventually get hold of Silva and sub him. Toquinho, perhaps not.
sparky
2/4/09 11:08:46AM
I truely believe you will see Maia fighting for the middleweight belt in the near future!!!
grimreaper
2/4/09 11:14:07AM
I don't really know who will beat Demian Maia I suppose a really good stand up fighter could come out of nowhere and shock but I don't know it all depends on what the UFC decides to do with him
RiseUp21
2/4/09 11:23:12AM
Call me crazy, but i wouldnt count out Sonnen at UFC 95. He dominated Filho in both their fights and Filho at least has stand up. Like I said, call me crazy, but I wouldnt be SHOCKED.
gsquat
2/4/09 2:21:42PM

Posted by RiseUp21

Call me crazy, but i wouldnt count out Sonnen at UFC 95. He dominated Filho in both their fights and Filho at least has stand up. Like I said, call me crazy, but I wouldnt be SHOCKED.

crazy
Hendo67
2/4/09 2:28:04PM
Sonnen won't beat Maia, imo.

It all depends who he fights after Sonnen, whether it be Palhares, Silva...
I think Maia has a legit chance against both of those fighters.
lohmann
2/4/09 10:12:00PM
Anybody that can keep Maia standing in the same way Henderson beat Palhares. I can see Okami, Henderson, Franklin, and Marquardt keeping him up with relative ease and KOing him.

On the flip side, if he can bypass all those guys en route to a title shot, he is a legitimate threat to Anderson Silva.
Jackelope
2/4/09 10:29:26PM
I give Sonnen a lot more chances than the odds suggest. Maia's wrestling isn't that great and his standup leaves a lot to be desired. Getting beat up on the feet for a round or two before he finally gets somebody to the ground can take a lot out of a person. Not everybody can have Nog's composure
madmarck
2/5/09 10:47:01AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by loller90278

well i agree that he is overrated, but he is 100 times better than Palhares on the ground in terms of pure BJJ. he has accomplished a heck of a lot more than Palhares has in grappling tournamnets, but if you mean MMA grappling i can see making a case for it, but i still think Maia is superior on the ground.

Maia Won ADCC................................ oh and world cup and pan ams..............

Palhares didn't.
Point.
bls1919
2/6/09 6:28:03PM
IMO he could lose to a good wrestler with good stand up. Hendo, Nate M., Okami. And if he makes it that far. The Spider will take care of him with an early KO.