UFC Cuts Three More Fighters

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Cuts Three More Fighters
grappler0000
5/5/08 5:46:34PM
The UFC continues to trim it's roster. According to Dave Meltzer, the promotion dropped three more fighters; Din Thomas, Kuniyoshi Hironaka and Tommy Speer. All three are coming off of losses in the organization and Speer and Hironaka are a combined 1-5 in the UFC. Din Thomas is considering a move down to 145 but may retire according to the report.

Link
Aaronno9
5/5/08 5:51:56PM
Wow, im shocked they dropped Din! he always brings a good fight, the only time he hasnt looked good are when he lost to florian after the injury, and his last fight, but alot of the fighters gassed on that card due to the altitude so i dont blame him for not being at his best.

I heard a rumor he wanted to drop down to 145, so im hoping the ufc have just moved him to the wec so he can fight in the 145 division there. Din vs Faber would be intense!
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/5/08 5:58:26PM

Posted by Aaronno9

I heard a rumor he wanted to drop down to 145, so im hoping the ufc have just moved him to the wec so he can fight in the 145 division there. Din vs Faber would be intense!

me too, him in the wec would be great to see
coldchillin
5/5/08 6:01:11PM
yeah, hopefully Din keeps on fighting and cuts to 145 so we can see him in the WEC.

I was hoping to see George Sotiropoulos avenge his loss to Tommy Speer before Speer got the boot.

JimiMak
5/5/08 6:04:21PM
the way they're all doing I'm not surprised, tho like you guys think Din could have a future at a lighter weight w/ a dif (even Zuffa owned?) org.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
5/5/08 6:14:34PM
Poor Speer. All three of the guys he beat on Tuf are still in the UFC. IMO, the Ultimate Fighter Final shouldn't count as a loss when determining if a fighter should be cut. IMO, Speer is 0-1 in the UFC, not 0-2...he should be given another chance. I can't believe they cut Din Thomas.
babalu2720
5/5/08 6:19:01PM
I'm more suprised about Speer. We have like 5 people from TUF 6, and the runner up is not one of them. They should not punish him for having to fight Mac and Rumble when Arroyo fought Kolosci, and Ben Saunders fought Barrera.
owen1
5/5/08 6:20:21PM
I really hope Din is dropping to a lighter weight and staying fighting coz he is a really good fighter.It seems a bit harsh to cut Speer already,but maybe they just want him to get somemore experience outside the ufc
bls1919
5/5/08 6:23:04PM
I am not suprised at all to see them give Speer the boot. He looked like a scared little kid in there against Anthony Johnson. If he gets some experience in a small org maybe he could make another run at the UFC. As for Din i like to watch him fight but the LW division is so stacked, The UFC probably ahd to make room for other up and comers. I hope Din has luck in whatever he choses to do, he is a true competitor
jimmypockets
5/5/08 7:01:02PM
Not surprising really. I am sure Thomas may end up in the WEC if he wants to continue. It wouldn't surprise me if Speer ends up there as well. Speer is just outclassed right now. He is a tough guy but that only gets you out of the amateurs. I think he has potential but there is alot of hard training ahead of that country boy.
prozacnation1978
5/5/08 7:11:59PM
i am surprised that speer is gone, he should have been given another fight or two, from tuf runner up to i would not be surprised if alot of these castoffs go to elite xc.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
5/5/08 8:15:34PM
Didn't these guys get cut a week ago since them it has been Lutter and Doerkson.
tylerlee123
5/5/08 8:20:11PM
All three of these guys would do good in the WEC
disorderlyvision
5/5/08 9:25:51PM
i was suprised at din being cut as well, but after thinking about it i would much rather see him at 145 he would be a contender and have some great fights.

speer i am only suprised because he was a tuf finalist. however he is way overmatched in the ufc and needs to fight in some smaller orgs, and actually train at a camp instead of wrestling cows or whatever he did on the farm. i think it would be a couple years before he is even close to ready to fight in the ufc.
juanez13
5/5/08 9:27:20PM
I like how they are cutting the TUF guys now, unlike before were some of the guys were garbage but they kept them because of TUF.
The_Grim_Reaper
5/5/08 9:35:39PM
wtf speer is a runner up....if there gunna cut speer might as well cut barrerra and roman mitchyan
wrona666
5/5/08 10:53:57PM
None of this is that surprising.......Speer=lay&pray, Din will never be a contender in a stacked division, Hironaka is 1-3
bbman182
5/5/08 11:18:12PM
after each UFC you are going to see more and more cuts i believe.. they still have alot of cutting to do once the LHW and MW of WEC come over to UFC too.
jae_1833
5/5/08 11:21:38PM
This last season didn't really produce great fighters.... I don't really care about the "fairness" of cutting Spears instead of Roman...they could cut quite a few of the newer TUF guys for all I care!!!

Now cutting Din Thomas....that is some BULLSHIT!!!!!!
I really hope he does end up in the WEC at 145....he could fight Jens again!!
Svartorm
5/6/08 3:40:58AM
I'm surprised by Din too. You can hardly blame the guy for having his knee blow out, and his fight with Neer was very entertaining and competetive. This could have something to do with the amount of time hes had in the UFC, and what his price tag is per fight though. Not sure what hes making, but I'm willing to bet its more than a lot of the up and coming LWs.
babytater03
5/6/08 12:45:49PM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Poor Speer. All three of the guys he beat on Tuf are still in the UFC. IMO, the Ultimate Fighter Final shouldn't count as a loss when determining if a fighter should be cut. IMO, Speer is 0-1 in the UFC, not 0-2...he should be given another chance...

F--K_Luck_AuH2O
5/6/08 1:39:37PM
Also, the UFC claims they have over 200 fighters under contract and want to cut down to 140?

Exactly who are these 200 fighters...
hdnet_mma
5/6/08 1:57:42PM
why are they getting rid of so many fighters...they trying to cut payroll over there?
189lber
5/6/08 4:22:25PM
Hopefull Din stays in it and goes to 145. Thatd be good
pharside
5/6/08 11:16:42PM
I'd like to see Din again but speers looked like he was in way over his head I'd like to see speers in WEC and Din over at dream or something.
MMAcca
5/7/08 1:56:03PM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Also, the UFC claims they have over 200 fighters under contract and want to cut down to 140?

Where'd you read this ??

I bet NOBODY can name the most of the 200