UFC cuts Kalib Starnes after UFC 83 track meet

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC cuts Kalib Starnes after UFC 83 track meet
Mchubb316
4/21/08 4:28:08PM
The UFC didn’t waste much time, releasing former The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) contestant and UFC 83 main card participant, Kalib Starnes, from his contract after a puzzling performance against Nate Quarry this weekend, according to Yahoo!Sports.com
Source
waylon_o
4/21/08 4:33:15PM
I wander if the rumor that he was "trying to screw the UFC for low salaries" rumor is true. If so, he really showed them. Stick it to the man, Starnes!
ThePlague
4/21/08 5:00:35PM
I wonder if it was just his performance, or if it had anything to do with the camera catching him calling someone a fag**t.
waylon_o
4/21/08 5:04:14PM
Well, considering some of the stuff that comes out of Dana White's mouth, I'm betting it didn't have anything to do with what Starnes said.
tuvok500
4/21/08 5:05:46PM

Posted by ThePlague

I wonder if it was just his performance, or if it had anything to do with the camera catching him calling someone a fag**t.

i was there live and the guy was running backward for 15 minutes, the guy was having absolutely no intension to fight what so ever. I think the score card was the nail in coffin, i mean 1 judge gave him a 26 and another judge gave him an humiliating 24 !!

tberg420
4/21/08 5:20:35PM
Regardless if Kalib was trying to "stick it to the man" or not, this was not the way to do it. He lost a lot of credibility as a fighter. Most people won't care to watch him fight anymore. I can't see another company ties millions of dollars together to promote him. He did himself an injustice along with the sport. It's a shame that someone else wasn't in there fighting. Nate Quarry (who I didn't pick to win the fight) has come back from career and somewhat life threatening injuries to fight and what's Kalib's excuse for that showing? Low pay? No health care? Lack of testicles? I'm usually not one to tear apart a fighter but there was always something with Kalib. Whenever he was scheduled against a weaker opponent, he was fine but when he was up against someone who might be better than him, he always takes the easiest way out. Someone on another forum brought up a great point. Is Kalib still a Canadian citizen? He would be entitled to free health care if he is.
babytater03
4/21/08 5:33:03PM
duplicate post?
wrona666
4/21/08 5:41:11PM
Pathetic.......That is all i have to say about that....
bam383
4/21/08 6:28:59PM
Yep, every aspect of the fight was terrible for Kalib.

Kalib running away the whole time
30-24 on one judge's card
Flipping off your opponent
Still running away even when the opponent is mocking you for running away.

Whatever fan base you had left Kalib, you got rid of
SpiderSilva
4/21/08 6:33:54PM
he had a serious case of PFADS(Post-Fight Adrenal Dump Syndrome)
and now look what happened
prozacnation1978
4/21/08 6:55:47PM
don't worry exelite will grab him this week or so just watch,
i don't see why he did what he did?? but if i were him leave canada asap. and if any of you out there is still a starnes fan i don't know what to say!!!!!!!!
disorderlyvision
4/21/08 6:57:44PM
gee, i didnt see this coming
bayonetxwork
4/21/08 7:21:03PM
Fight was ridiculous. But you gotta give it to Quarry, he TRIED to fight him, and I loved when he mocked him
masodd
4/21/08 7:26:49PM
if they cut him for a boring fight they need to also cut sean sherk
jakeiceman
4/21/08 7:52:40PM
That was one of the worst showings (or lack of showing I guess) I have seen in a long time. I really hope there WAS some underlying reason why he chose to do that because if not that guy just sucks. I think Quarry deserves props though, he looked awesome.
juanez13
4/21/08 8:07:14PM
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
jgtribbett
4/21/08 8:41:50PM
what gets me.. is that quarry was such a robotic wrestler with fairly bad thai that starnes coulda shot him straight up the middle the whole damn time and probably done a lot of damage.. oh well..
Aether
4/21/08 10:13:40PM
I agree, quarry throws the widest hooks I've ever seen and leave himself completely open for a shot straight down the pipe every time he engages. It's exactly how Franklin KOed him.

As far as Kalib is concerned.... pretty sure we all saw that coming ten miles away.
grappler0000
4/21/08 11:33:12PM
Well, he's officially a featured article on Yahoo!

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
quezocrema0032
4/22/08 12:13:51AM

Posted by masodd

lmao couldnt say it better myself ... and kalib only made it boring for 3 rounds immagina sherks 5 round affairs
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/22/08 12:48:01AM
Hey Dream is still looking for an opponent for Akiyama. If Starnes has any sense at all he'll petition for that final spot, and try like hell to win. Its the only way he'll ever get his carrerr back. Right now the press on him is hot, bad press is still good press as far as promoting an unknown event is concerned.

Dream wants Akiyama to advance, people want Starnes to get KTFO, plus the press. Starnes on the other hand needs to prove he's still a fighter...a win would almost erase the Quarry disaster.
Tein_Lung
4/22/08 4:16:50AM

Posted by quezocrema0032

Posted by masodd

lmao couldnt say it better myself ... and kalib only made it boring for 3 rounds immagina sherks 5 round affairs

i agree Sherk is boreing to watch but atleast he fights... he doesn't run away the whole time
tmas
4/22/08 4:59:13AM
Funny funny stuff, i love the hammer fists comment and the taunts at the end woooooww!

Years from now people may look back on this and say Kalib Starnes is awesome something may come out of this maybe the UFC will fix their problems and work out ways to give higher pay/med costs. Who knows maybe he'll just be that deucebag that ran away for 15 min and gave the world a great laugh!

Ruuunnnn kaaalib ruuuuunnnn
CornishMMA
4/22/08 6:07:40AM
The writing was on the wall tbh

Kalib was seriously pisssed off with the UFC with his medical bill for the cut and lack of pay, he said he didnt make enough money in the Belcher fight and said something to the effect of - fighting in the ufc isnt worth it unless youre a superstar cos if you get injured you have to use all your wagesj for medical bills - I think it was his intention to somewhat screw the UFC

The Judge was retarded to score it 3x 10-8 rounds tho, the ref didnt ever warn Kalib for backing off so unless he takes a point off he should be scored 10-9 as far as the rules go i think
grappler0000
4/22/08 7:34:14AM

Posted by CornishMMA

The writing was on the wall tbh

Kalib was seriously pisssed off with the UFC with his medical bill for the cut and lack of pay, he said he didnt make enough money in the Belcher fight and said something to the effect of - fighting in the ufc isnt worth it unless youre a superstar cos if you get injured you have to use all your wagesj for medical bills - I think it was his intention to somewhat screw the UFC

The Judge was retarded to score it 3x 10-8 rounds tho, the ref didnt ever warn Kalib for backing off so unless he takes a point off he should be scored 10-9 as far as the rules go i think

Kalib stated that he'll talk more about the incident in a couple of days once the paperwork is complete...there are several rumors at this point as to why it happnened, but they are mere rumors at this point. Some sources have referred to a radio interview where he expressed his intentions of sticking it to the man...but no such interview occured.

As far as the 10-8 rounds go, the judge had every right to do so. It just has to be a dominating round...no point deduction is needed. The 10-point system means 10 points for the winner and the loser gets 9 or less.
GlancyMMA
4/22/08 10:49:31AM
Apparently Wednesday Starnes gym is going to make an official statement on the fact that it was a intentional avoidance game to show why some fighters are tenative to engage.

"It's not worth getting hurt in a fight because if you are you spend all your fight money on mediaction and treatment" apparently starne shelled out a lot after that broken rib he suffered in the Grove bout.

The only issue is Dana isn't stupid, and right away cranked the fight of the night bonuses up to $75,000 per.... so even fighers paid 5 grand a fight can make a killing if they fight well....

Starnes point is now POINTLESS.... nice try tho....
Trench777
4/22/08 2:02:07PM
Yeah, boy...he sure showed them! Got fired & looked like a pussy for 15 minutes in front of the world.

What a joke.

He wasnt trying to "prove something"...he's a little punk who was scared to get hit & ran like a bitch. At least he's not in the UFC anymore, hope he finds greener pastures in doily knitting or providing mothers milk to orphans.

T777