UFC Cuts 2 Fighters Today

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Cuts 2 Fighters Today
Next Page »
DCRage
2/9/09 5:22:48PM
Clearly there is No Love for the lesser-known half of the Mario Bros. today. UFC has cut Rich Clementi & Luigi Fioravanti following their losses Saturday at UFN 17.

Article
Givershit
2/9/09 5:24:22PM
Why Rich? He's fun to watch.
bls1919
2/9/09 5:27:16PM
Ehh the LW and the WW divisions are stacked. I can see where they let these 2 go. Try out some new meat.
DCRage
2/9/09 5:29:37PM

Posted by Givershit

1-2 in a row rule. Saturday was his 2nd loss in a row. And when you look at #2, this one really plays a part.

2-Overall record. In his 3 stints he's only 5-5 in UFC.

3-Reportedly there are over 50 LIghtweights under UFC contract. So 5-5 isn't exactly going to bolster your case for being one of them.
Poohbah
2/9/09 5:30:01PM
No love indeed. That sucks, I like Rich.
sparky
2/9/09 5:31:47PM
That's dirty both of those 2 guys always made things interesting.
casey64
2/9/09 5:35:34PM
Man that surprised me.
Twenty20Dollars
2/9/09 5:38:06PM
I thought Clementi was going to be a contender there for awhile, he was winning but then on the the losing skid to maynard and then to tibau.

Im just suprised because these guys have quite a few fights in the UFC and its not like they were 0-2 or 1-2.

But good luck to them elsewhere. Survival of the Best.
gabe531
2/9/09 5:42:06PM
not sure why rich, his fights are typically exciting and they always say lose exciting rather then win boring, however they cut him as well as gurgel who has won a few FOTN in his ufc career. neither are title material but not every fighter will be and you will need exciting fighters to make a good card. just hope lytle or marcus davis dont get on too big of losing streak or they could be cut too, despite having some very entertaining fights
Wolfenstein
2/9/09 5:42:59PM
It's understandable as neither fighter was going to make any waves in the division, and both fighters have pretty much reached their ceiling in terms of potential. I would have thought they would give Rich a little more leeway because he's been good to the UFC--stepping up on late notice a few times.

I expect mny more to be cut, in order to make way for the upcoming TUF alumni, and there should be quite a few from this season that will find a home at LW for more than a couple fights.
DCRage
2/9/09 5:44:18PM
Lytle only really seems to stay on because his fights always get the nightly bonuses (or the vast majority of the time). He's only 3-3 in his latest UFC stint and, in his career, is a cumulative 5-9.
tmas
2/9/09 5:45:33PM
looking at their records its no suprise, but there is more to records, both guys will take any fight any time and have proven that, both guys are always entertaining.

I liked both that sucks.
theguido
2/9/09 5:46:24PM
Kinda woulda liked to see Rich stay
DCRage
2/9/09 5:48:44PM
Both guys will land somewhere, just a question of where. In these times Fioravanti's backgrounnd as a former Marine should work in his favor.
EvenFlow
2/9/09 5:52:20PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by Givershit

1-2 in a row rule. Saturday was his 2nd loss in a row. And when you look at #2, this one really plays a part.

3-Reportedly there are over 50 LIghtweights under UFC contract. So 5-5 isn't exactly going to bolster your case for being one of them.

Im sorry but both Luigi and Rich should have places in the UFC over a lot of these TUF scrubs and hopefuls they always put in there.

Keep Rich, cut Junie, problem solved.
breakdown5
2/9/09 5:55:46PM
These things are going to happen. Only the tops of the divisions are safe in the UFC. If a fighter drops the ball and rack up some consecutive losses or get totally dominated, they have to fear being cut. Lytle seems to be one of those rare exceptions, but as soon as he stops being in the fight of the night on every card he's on, he'll be cut as well. There is a big crop of up and comers in every weight class to replace all the cuts. Plus the newer fighters can be just as exciting and the UFC can tend to pay them less than the fighters that have been with the company for a while and have jumped pay scales.
nickcuc547
2/9/09 5:58:48PM
no emotional state towards these cuts, i like both fighters but they weren't getting any closer to a title shot or a big fight for that matter.
Givershit
2/9/09 5:59:00PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by DCRage

Posted by Givershit

Im sorry but both Luigi and Rich should have places in the UFC over a lot of these TUF scrubs and hopefuls they always put in there.

Keep Rich, cut Junie, problem solved.

Sure glad they're keeping Dennis Siver and Nate Mohr.
Khaos
2/9/09 6:11:21PM
That's unfortunate.
mrkennedy
2/9/09 6:26:22PM
rich was overated
tepid55
2/9/09 6:27:26PM
I think Clementi could wind up in DREAM.
XblacksheepX
2/9/09 6:36:30PM

Posted by Givershit
Sure glad they're keeping Dennis Siver and Nate Mohr.

They keep Siver 'cause he's from germany and they're planning on having events there in the future. I have no clue why their keeping Mohr though. He's 1-3 in the ufc.
wapttn
2/9/09 6:42:35PM
perhaps this is the ufc's way of dealing with a tighter budget? who knows how the recession is affecting them... could be that they just are taking a new approach to the roster that will help cut costs in general

I personally liked both of these fighters and they had a great attitude when it came to fighting... i would've thought they'd keep clementi around as a gate keeper and fioravanti around for the military cards. I suspect the biggest reason why they got dumped is because unless you're in the top 10, moving up, or consistently putting on FOTN, then you're just taking up space that future contenders could be using. Both of these fighters were in limbo... they could beat lower competition but couldnt beat top competition. The salary that's freed up between these two guys 13k and 23k is a combined 36k... I guess you could make the argument that that's better spent on some up and comers.
tallica62
2/9/09 6:59:29PM
luigi may be good, but not really exciting and not cut for hte UFC at this point

clementi is good, but didnt live up to what he should have been...

this doesnt mean they are bad fighters, but UFC is cream of the crop and theres only room for the best of the best

btw...anyone remember hte movie The Best of the Best...awesome
lohmann
2/9/09 6:59:50PM
I thought they would give Fioravanti an opportunity to cut to 155 before his cut.

I never saw Clementi's cutting coming though.
BDON911
2/9/09 7:00:07PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by Givershit

So what happens when Joe Daddy loses to Deigo? That's 3 in a row.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
2/9/09 7:02:28PM
Rich is a shock but yeah 5-5 don't know I guess he's never going to be a top 10 and yeah fiorvanti, whatever, i'm sure both will end up on the next affliction card
cmb19932
2/9/09 7:02:58PM
noooo not luigi why god why:
Jackelope
2/9/09 7:37:01PM
Why not put Rich Clementi in the WEC? He'd be an instant contender and he's got a big name for fans to recognize. I could see him beating anybody in the WEC at LW. Plus, aren't we tired of the typical rope-a-dope between Hicks, Cerrone, McCullough, and Varner? At this point they've pretty much solidified their spots. Once McCullough vs. Hicks is over those spots will pretty much be a lock. Throw Clementi in the mix and you make it interesting again. Can Clementi beat Varner? Who knows. Cerrone? McCullough? Hicks?

As for Luigi- He is a fighter I really like. So I'm sad to see him go. With the addition of Kampmann and Condit to the 170 ranks I think he'd find himself slipping further and further backwards in the WW rankings, but he always brought it. So I'm sad to see him go for that reason, too.
Twenty20Dollars
2/9/09 8:24:06PM
Theres always strikeforce or affliction.
Pages: [1] 2