Cut Man question

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Cut Man question
phlegmon
2/26/08 8:08:20AM
My name is Phil. I’m a critical-care RN and EMT in Northern Virginia with over 10 years of experience in emergency medicine. I’m an avid fan of MMA, train Krav Maga regularly, and just recently started BJJ (which I’m horrible at). What I’m looking for is any information, tips, leads, etc on how to get involved in the medical aspect of MMA. Specifically, how to become a “Cut Man”. Any information you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tein_Lung
2/26/08 12:05:59PM
i got really no ida on how to get into it... but i do know the guys that regualry do it for the UFS are Leon Tabbs and "Stitch" they both were doing it in boxing long before MMA hit the TVs
wolfman
2/26/08 12:15:02PM

Posted by phlegmon

My name is Phil. I’m a critical-care RN and EMT in Northern Virginia with over 10 years of experience in emergency medicine. I’m an avid fan of MMA, train Krav Maga regularly, and just recently started BJJ (which I’m horrible at). What I’m looking for is any information, tips, leads, etc on how to get involved in the medical aspect of MMA. Specifically, how to become a “Cut Man”. Any information you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I personally don't know how you become a Cut Man, but here is a site that has everthing you would need. Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question, but I thought I'd throw this site out there for you.

http://www.ringside.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2427
Jackelope
2/26/08 12:58:50PM
A lot of the guys who work cuts I've actually noticed seem to be trainers themselves. I've wondered the same thing because I'm an EMT.

The best thing I could advise is to work your contacts, show them your experience, and volunteer to do a couple of shows for them. If you can attach yourself to a camp that has high level fighters, maybe you could work your way up to eventually having one of them inviting you to be a cutman at a main event in some promotion, or even one day a cutman for them in the UFC.
SpiderSilva
2/26/08 1:24:41PM
you know from what Ive heard they are really just guys who started helping and got hired on to help stop bleeding givien the tools almost anyone can do it
most cut men have no medical backround
loonytnt
2/26/08 2:27:34PM
cut man that ive seen, are just people that the guy puttin the show on hirers
phlegmon
2/26/08 2:44:36PM
Thanks for all the replies. I’m trying to get in touch with some fighters/fight teams in my area to get more info. I’ll post what I find here.
Kpro
2/26/08 2:46:01PM
I'd get to know a cut man and ask to help out; maybe find them by heading to your local boxing gym.

Once you've been helping out and learned a few things, steal their contacts.