Curious as to why Edgar got the title shot....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Curious as to why Edgar got the title shot....
Taylor8766
4/6/10 9:43:25AM
Hey I dont know about any of you guys but I am curious as to why Edgar got a title shot over Maynard here's why: Edgar 6-1 in UFC with notable wins over Tyson Griffin, Sean Sherk and Hermes France, Where as Maynard is 7-0 with notable wins over Jim Miller, Nate Diaz, Roger Huerta, one no contest and over Frankie Edgar. Now IMO the fghter with the better record and a victory over the other guy who is getting the title shot should get the shot. Now the only reason I could see as to why s because of decisons, but if you look at it Edgar as only finished one more fighter than Maynard and Maynard as faced the tougher competition, So all im saying is IMO Maynard should get a shot at the title before Edgar.
sparky
4/6/10 10:00:03AM
who else is there really other than Maynard and in my opinion he lost to Diaz!!!!!

I think they went with Edgar and not Maynard for the excitement factor......I feel like BJ and Frankie make for a better fight!!!!!
emfleek
4/6/10 10:10:47AM
Maynard's a TUF'er. I think they probably want to build him a little more before they throw him in the cage with the rabid lion of the LW division.
grappler0000
4/6/10 11:53:02AM
Dana and Gray both felt that he wasn't quite ready. It's a subjective criteria, but I think everyone can agree that Edgar is better equipped for that type of test...at the moment anyway.
Rabi
4/6/10 12:27:41PM
It was said if Maynard beat Diaz impressively he would get the shot, his performance against Diaz was not very good. It looks like Maynards next fight will be against KenFlo, if he beats KenFlo ( i dont think he will) then he will get a title shot.
Biggz
4/6/10 12:50:13PM
personally i would rather see someone who finishes fights get a shot than just dec. wins. for example: i would much rather see the winner of Kos vs Daley get a title fight over Fitch.
CwB
4/6/10 5:48:48PM

Posted by Biggz

personally i would rather see someone who finishes fights get a shot than just dec. wins. for example: i would much rather see the winner of Kos vs Daley get a title fight over Fitch.

Hmmm, I do agree with you on that... But Edgar has 7 fights in the UFC and only finished 2 of them, thats only 1 more finish than Maynard has.
-(And if you really want to break it down. Maynard had a submission locked so deep against Huerta, that it would have finished any lesser LW. Also, Edgar's last finish was against Veach who took the fight on relatively short notice and was taking a major step up in comp.) but none of that really matters...

Edgar got the shot over Maynard, because Maynard looked horribly sloppy in his win over Diaz, Plus his last two fights have ended in split-dec.
Rush
4/9/10 6:30:39PM
I think it is more being in the right place at the right time (winning the right fight at the right time)
MMAcca
4/11/10 5:10:01AM

Posted by Taylor8766

I am curious as to why Edgar got a title shot

Still curious.......?
D0wnUnd6e6r
4/11/10 11:22:47AM
whatever man, he took it to BJ and dominated him. He got the title shot cause he deserved it and look what came out of it.

WAR EDGAR
cj_striker
4/11/10 8:11:32PM
Dana said straight up that it was between Edgar and Maynard for the next crack at the title, and Edgar impressed him much much more than Maynard in their last fights so Dana went with Edgar even though Maynard had beaten Edgar before. All I know is if Dana gives Maynard the next title shot opposed to Florian or BJ getting his rematch then Edgar might have the shortest title reign ever. I like Edgar a lot and he did win 3 out of the 5 rounds imo to win the decision but Maynard is just basically to big and strong and is too good a wrestler for Edgar, horrible match up for him. Edgar stand up is better than Maynard but imo Maynard would nullify that like he did in their first bout.