Cung Le Unsure About His Future: “I Know My Clock Is Ticking”

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Cung Le Unsure About His Future: “I Know My Clock Is Ticking”
prophecy033
11/10/12 3:50:46PM
Once upon a time, Cung Le said his dream was just to get the chance to compete inside the UFC Octagon.

Now with a 2-1 record including Saturday’s one-punch knockout of former middleweight champion Rich Franklin, Le has done more than just “compete” – he’s winning fights in a big way.

“It’s like a dream, I feel like I’m in a dream right now,” Le said to Fuel TV after the knockout victory.

Explaining the set up for Franklin’s inevitable doom, Le says it all came down to timing, and knowing what his opponent was looking for and how to land the perfect counter strike.

Link
george112
11/10/12 4:04:02PM
Well Franklin can kiss that shot at Anderson goodbye.

That's ok though. He's had a good run. That fight told me he's just not the fighter that he used to be . That punch came from cungs hip he hit him damn hard.

Nice KO for le
BuffaloDave
11/10/12 4:07:58PM
Just a week ago, he said he definitely wasn't done fighting, no matter the outcome of the Franklin fight.

But then again, going out with a huge KO win over a Franklin, which he was a massive underdog, is nice way to cap off a career.

I personally feel we'll see him back by the Summer.
prophecy033
11/10/12 4:18:59PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Just a week ago, he said he definitely wasn't done fighting, no matter the outcome of the Franklin fight.

But then again, going out with a huge KO win over a Franklin, which he was a massive underdog, is nice way to cap off a career.

It sure was a sweet KO but I wanna see more of Le in the octagon. I wouldn't mind seeing Le vs Belfort. I know it doesnt do much in terms of another title shot for Vitor but its simply for selfish reasons
Chael_Sonnen
11/10/12 4:27:13PM
Direct-to-video-movies in his future.....
Shawn91111
11/10/12 4:46:23PM

Posted by george112

That's ok though. He's had a good run. That fight told me he's just not the fighter that he used to be . That punch came from cungs hip he hit him damn hard.

Nice KO for le

Rich was never going to get a rematch, he was never going to beat the top 4-5 guys at 185 imo
george112
11/10/12 4:54:46PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by george112

Nice KO for le

Rich was never going to get a rematch, he was never going to beat the top 4-5 guys at 185 imo

Yeah I agree. But a win here and maybe one more after coupled with who he is it wouldn't be a long shot for Dana to gift him a rematch to go out on
BuffaloDave
11/10/12 4:56:11PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by BuffaloDave

It sure was a sweet KO but I wanna see more of Le in the octagon. I wouldn't mind seeing Le vs Belfort. I know it doesnt do much in terms of another title shot for Vitor but its simply for selfish reasons

Funny that you bring up Vitor, as that's who exactly I had in mind for Le to fight next. If he loses to Bisping, I think the match up has a great chance of happening.
warglory
11/10/12 5:07:25PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Direct-to-video-movies in his future.....

...along with more money than he's ever made fighting. I'd say that's a good way to retire.
Malaussie
11/10/12 6:26:24PM
I want to see him rematch Channing Tatum in his next fight I think he should be able to win this time round.
isk
11/10/12 7:06:08PM
Rich disappointed the hell out of me. As much as he's improved since the Anderson losses, he failed one of the most fundamental tenants of striking: keep your goddamn hands up. I'd understand a bit if Cung feinted a body shot, because he can work the body very well. Or if Cung just timed it perfectly. But this was simply Rich being off balance following a leg kick and not resetting himself properly, and Cung taking a full 1-2 seconds to set up the punch.

If Rich really wants to work leg kicks, he should look up Thiago Alves. Not only would his power and speed improve, he wouldn't be ultra vulnerable by throwing 'em.
jlock003
11/10/12 10:45:50PM

Posted by isk

Rich disappointed the hell out of me. As much as he's improved since the Anderson losses, he failed one of the most fundamental tenants of striking: keep your goddamn hands up. I'd understand a bit if Cung feinted a body shot, because he can work the body very well. Or if Cung just timed it perfectly. But this was simply Rich being off balance following a leg kick and not resetting himself properly, and Cung taking a full 1-2 seconds to set up the punch.

If Rich really wants to work leg kicks, he should look up Thiago Alves. Not only would his power and speed improve, he wouldn't be ultra vulnerable by throwing 'em.

I think Cung sort of lulled him to sleep. Rich has always had an awkward striking style coming at guys from odd angles and never really been a textbook striker. I'm definitely not disagreeing with you and it's pretty clear that you've got a good point as face planting is never the desired outcome of a fight for any fighter. Alves is definitely a good reference point for great low kicks but if you watch he pulls the arm down as he throws the kick too. Very few guys leave their hands up while they throw the kick. However, Alvez resets brilliantly and if he were to throw a hook to follow he would be sure to keep the hand up. Bas Rutten has talked about guys keeping their hands up when they throw those techniques recently. Cruz talked about it in the post fight as well saying guys have to move their head off the center line when they throw the low kick.
ncordless
11/10/12 10:47:47PM
I think Rich and Cung should team up for an action flick about two very different cops who become partners and fight crime.
sparky
11/11/12 1:28:24AM
Although Cung is getting up there in age there are still a few fights left for him in the UFC in my opinion. A few people already mention Belfort vs Le, I think this would make for an awesome fight and is probably one of the only fights at MW that makes any sense for Cung at this point in his career, but I would love to see Cung fight Leben or even Stann both make for interesting match ups.
prophecy033
11/11/12 1:46:30AM
There are a few fights I wanna see him in before its all over. I already stated Belfort Above but Lombard, Stann, Belcher, and Stann would all be fun fights
Goatenstein
11/11/12 8:27:21AM
Rich was winning easily and got sloppy.
ghandikush
11/11/12 10:13:36AM

Posted by prophecy033

There are a few fights I wanna see him in before its all over. I already stated Belfort Above but Lombard, Stann, Belcher, and Stann would all be fun fights

Lombard Le to send Lombards overhyped ass home with tears.
prophecy033
11/11/12 2:25:03PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by prophecy033

Lombard Le to send Lombards overhyped ass home with tears.

I don't think Lombard is overhyped at this point. Hes has 1 bad fight in the UFC but since hes only had one then it gives the appearance that hes overhyped. Now if he has another bad fight and then another, that establishes a pattern and then I will call him overhyped.