Cung Le= overrated????

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Cung Le= overrated????
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/11/07 3:18:08AM
So I was a huge fan of Cung Le after I saw his crazy flying scissor heel hooks and crazy leg catches. I was telling my trainer about how Crazy Cung Le is and that I think hes going to rip it up in Pride.

He told me that he hated Cung Le because he was "overrated" So later I checked his record on Sherdog and K-1 and he seemed to have a really good record (undefeated MMA and K1) Then I checked the records of guys he was fighting and they all had losing records or were under 2 pro fights under their belts.

So is Cung Le picking weak opponents in order to bolster his rep? According to MMAth (which is highly flawed) Cung Le hasnt really faced a top notch opponent to warrent all this hype surrounding him IMO. and hes a self proclaimed san shou champion btw.....

your thoughts,
(not fighter bashing just fell for the hype and got dissapointed )
THE_AXE_MURDERER
2/11/07 3:26:44AM
No I dont think Cung Le is overrated...but we cant do anything till he arrives in PRIDE and tears it up! GO CUNG LE!
Savy
2/11/07 3:52:44AM
There is no way that Cung Lee is "overrated." There may be unfairly high expectations because has shown such awesome skills.
True: he has not fought top notch competion in MMA yet. But he has absolutley blazed everyone he has faced.
You can't blame him for taking a few "easy" opponents while making his transition from one discipline to another.
He's got all the tools to be a great force in MMA; the sky is the limit.
Although he's no Pan Am BJJ champ or ADCC veteran, you gotta believe an athlete as elkite as Cung Lee can learn to slap on a sub or two (a la Alistair Overeem)
Plus, because of his san shou background he is awesome in the clinch and has incredible throws.
Cung Lee is major league striker. Even though he's new to MMA, he immediately becomes one oft the most potent strikers @ 185 lbs.
This is the age of the striker; fighters like Anderson Silva, Chuck Liddel and Mirko Crocop are rewarded for outgunning their opponents while keeping the fight standing.
Give him a few more warm-up fights. He'll be brawling with the best middleweights in the world. in no time.

Snacks
2/11/07 4:52:49AM
If people have him in even their top 75 he's overrated.
mrsumo
2/11/07 4:56:50AM
I doubt he's overrated. He is pretty new to MMA. So why not pit him agaist other guys new to MMA? He was a san shou kickboxer for a long time, and was even quoted on strikeforce as saying he wasn't going to do MMA. Of course with everyone judging all sport combatants by their MMA record these days, he had to step in the cage.
amik
2/11/07 9:16:44AM
Cung Lee simply is unorthodox. He applies knowledge of different ways. While it continues gaining ...
cowcatcher
2/11/07 12:45:29PM
he's a terrific fighter and there is no way he's overrated, in fact to the general public he's under the radar and will make a huge splash when he makes his pride debut, it's been a long time coming, and i for one am excited as hell to see him against the big boys of mma
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/11/07 1:41:39PM

Posted by Savy

There is no way that Cung Lee is "overrated." There may be unfairly high expectations because has shown such awesome skills.
True: he has not fought top notch competion in MMA yet. But he has absolutley blazed everyone he has faced.
You can't blame him for taking a few "easy" opponents while making his transition from one discipline to another.
Although he's no Pan Am BJJ champ or ADCC veteran, you gotta believe an athlete as elkite as Cung Lee can learn to slap on a sub or two (a la Alistair Overeem)
Plus, because of his san shou background he is awesome in the clinch and has incredible throws.
Cung Lee is major league striker. Even though he's new to MMA, he immediately becomes one oft the most potent strikers @ 185 lbs.
This is the age of the striker; fighters like Anderson Silva, Chuck Liddel and Mirko Crocop are rewarded for outgunning their opponents while keeping the fight standing.
Give him a few more warm-up fights. He'll be brawling with the best middleweights in the world. in no time.

I want to really agree with you there!! I guess I was a little dissapointed in the poor records of his opponents, but man you can really see the talent he has and I hope he does do well
Stickan
2/11/07 1:48:30PM
It's hard to be overrated when you havn't lost and never fought a second round.
roman
2/11/07 2:25:47PM

Posted by Stickan

Exactly.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/11/07 2:43:48PM

Posted by Stickan

but fighting guys with losing records or guys who havent had more than 2 pro fights it seems pretty easy to dummy someone that way. Oh wait Shonie Carter fought him and that went to decision.

youtube ftw
jocksmall
2/11/07 5:57:38PM
im excited to see him in pride. if he can win there we will not ? his competition any longer
hippysmacker
2/12/07 4:25:02AM

Posted by Savy

Agreed. He just needs to get acclimated to MMA, that's why he hasn't fought a lot of top guys in MMA IMO. Someone on here said Pride intended for him to fight Zelg. That would be an awesome standup war. We won't know where he is until we see him fight a good groung control fighter . If he gets controlled and can't esape it will be a while, unless he develops Cro-cop/Chuck takedown defense. I think in the long run he will end up a top 10 middleweight, or top 5 welterweight if pride ever opens that weight class or he moves to the UFC. It's a shame he started his MMA career so late though.
pv3Hpv3p
2/12/07 10:10:22AM
Over-rated, no probably not... Over-hyped maybe...

His competition seems to be rising, so we will soon tell...

If the rumors are true and he's fighting Galesic, that would be an excellent test for him, but I'd like to see him fight a Lindland, Filho or Hendo, or someone who's style might contradict Cung's.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/12/07 1:10:47PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Over-rated, no probably not... Over-hyped maybe...

His competition seems to be rising, so we will soon tell...

If the rumors are true and he's fighting Galesic, that would be an excellent test for him, but I'd like to see him fight a Lindland, Filho or Hendo, or someone who's style might contradict Cung's.

Agreed. When he fights someone who has proven talent I think he will shine.
We_Todd_Did
2/12/07 7:57:12PM
I've seen most of Cung Le's fights, have followed his career for several years now, and have always been a huge fan.I think he has excellent tools which may be applied well to MMA.People always talk about his scissor takedowns and how those "won't be effective" in MMA, but forget that he is a suplex ARTIST.Dude can slam with the best of 'em, is an honest-to-God powerhouse, and I expect him to make some great HL reels as well as good, competetive matchups.

All that being said, I have noticed many times over the years that the VAST majority of his opponents were total cansville.Half of them didn't even look like they belonged in any televised fight of any kind (at least compared to him).Most of them definitely weren't K-1 (non-San Shou) caliber fighters by any stretch of the imagination, to the point where they would impress me if they stopped one takedown in the whole fight.It felt like I was watching a grown man beat the hell out of a 5 year old.

In any event, I'm really looking forward to him finally facing some real competition, even if it's a bit later than I'd like, and still feel that any fighter of any caliber would be a fool to take him lightly.
strikefirstgear
2/12/07 8:26:27PM
That's the great thing about this sport. Once you get to the big leagues everything comes to the surface. We will see very soon if he is as good as he looks.

I am impressed by him but holding my vote until I see him take on some bigger competition. He seems to have a bright future and his fighters are very succesful in the minor league fight groups.

Hope he is the real deal. I always like seeing another big player move in.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/13/07 12:52:27AM

Posted by We_Todd_Did

I've seen most of Cung Le's fights, have followed his career for several years now, and have always been a huge fan.I think he has excellent tools which may be applied well to MMA.People always talk about his scissor takedowns and how those "won't be effective" in MMA, but forget that he is a suplex ARTIST.Dude can slam with the best of 'em, is an honest-to-God powerhouse, and I expect him to make some great HL reels as well as good, competetive matchups.

All that being said, I have noticed many times over the years that the VAST majority of his opponents were total cansville.Half of them didn't even look like they belonged in any televised fight of any kind (at least compared to him).Most of them definitely weren't K-1 (non-San Shou) caliber fighters by any stretch of the imagination, to the point where they would impress me if they stopped one takedown in the whole fight.It felt like I was watching a grown man beat the hell out of a 5 year old.

In any event, I'm really looking forward to him finally facing some real competition, even if it's a bit later than I'd like, and still feel that any fighter of any caliber would be a fool to take him lightly.

My sentiments exactly, Im not bashing Cung Le, that guy is crazy talented and I hope his transition into the big leagues is successful