Cung Le Likely To Return To SF Next Month

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Cung Le Likely To Return To SF Next Month
DCRage
11/6/09 6:14:35PM
Despite vacating the Strikeforce Middleweight Championship and several pending movie roles, it appears Cung Le will return to MMA much sooner than expected. According to sources close to the 12/19 SF event, Le will return next month and face Scott Smith.

Article
jae_1833
11/6/09 7:58:25PM
Good, I hope Smith KO's him in R1! Always liked Smith, never liked Le.....kind of strange that he did that as soon as his belt gets taken away....what you all think....coincidence!?? NOT!!
Aether
11/6/09 8:01:45PM
Yeah, he wasn't stripped, he relinquished the belt voluntarily.
machodog76
11/6/09 8:36:01PM
good! strikeforce needs all the talent they can get.
DCRage
11/6/09 8:54:48PM
At least we likely won't have a title fiasco again even if Le wins, SF was smart enough to also make Matt Lindland vs. Ronaldo Souza for the card with a shot maybe going to the winner.
IriShame
11/6/09 9:05:47PM
Yeah, this is no coincidence. Le is a big draw but he only works (if I may borrow from baseball terminology) as a spot starter, not a 200 inning workhorse.

The reality is he's not going to be available to readily defend a title. However, he can still have high profile fights that people ill want to watch. He might not be the champ but he's still Cung Le.

Keep him matched up with strikers and let the cameras role. Highlights will soon follow.

I like Scott Smith a lot but I don't see him getting by Le. He's a tailor made opponent for Cung to come in and get a win over a guy willing to stand and bang, who also got some exposure fighting Lawler twice on CBS. Name recognition + favorable stylistic match up = Squeezing every penny out of Cung Le!
EvenFlow
11/6/09 9:30:20PM
Scott Smith? really? this looks like blatant ducking from first glance. I cant say I'm surprised Le comes back a month after he releases the belt and not fight the #1 contender. I really hope Scott KO's Le and whatevers left of Le's hype, comeback kid style 3rd round KO.
prozacnation1978
11/6/09 11:19:05PM
lindland vs jacabre
le vs smith
melendez vs the punk finally
and the lawal on the card not bad

strikeforce has some fighters

i heard robbie lawler will be fighting as well
TimW001
11/6/09 11:25:23PM
Of coarse, now that SF is on CBS.
fonduktoe
11/7/09 1:10:44AM
title is misleading as le has confirmed he IS fighting on dec 19
and for all the posters who think he's ducking...easy now, he hasn't been training as a full time fighter and he did the honorable thing (cough overeem cough) by relinquishing the belt. i give the guy major props for showing up at all (cough rampage cough).
xdanish020
11/7/09 2:34:46AM
He looked like he was in pretty good shape when he was in AJ's corner

Smith is a good matchup for him b/c he is a tough sob and will stand and trade punches and kicks.
CwB
11/7/09 7:00:49AM
Holy ShT. I called it (kinda)...

StrikeForce now has a legit weight class...

Hendo (maybe)
mayhem
miller
Jacare
Lawal
Lindland(if he can hang)
Cung Le
Shamrock
Radach and Smith( both entertaining as hell)
Plus maybe Mousasi if he drops back to his original weight...

SF
grappler0000
11/7/09 10:18:39AM

Posted by fonduktoe

and for all the posters who think he's ducking...easy now, he hasn't been training as a full time fighter and he did the honorable thing (cough overeem cough) by relinquishing the belt. i give the guy major props for showing up at all (cough rampage cough).

But relinquishing the best supports the idea that he's ducking. He can fight hand picked opponents, rather than the number one contender. If he can jump back in the cage from time to time and beat up a tailor made opponent, it would work out much better for his acting career. Everyone knows that his stock would lower if he were to lose...and he is definitely aware of that. Take a look at the list above that CwB put together. It's a solid list of MW's that Strikeforce has put together. You notice something else? Most of those guys are bad style matchups for Cung. Cung will be fighting a pure striker instead. Coincidence? Just something to consider.
Giant_Ochai
11/7/09 11:45:43AM

Posted by CwB

Holy ShT. I called it (kinda)...

StrikeForce now has a legit weight class...

Hendo (maybe)
mayhem
miller
Jacare
Lawal
Lindland(if he can hang)
Cung Le
Shamrock
Radach and Smith( both entertaining as hell)
Plus maybe Mousasi if he drops back to his original weight...

SF

There is a reason that Mousasi moved up and that reason is to not have to make 185 again.
telnights
11/7/09 12:29:14PM
Le is a fun fighter to watch but I think he is far from Strikeforce's best 185er. So I think its great that he is coming back but I think he is being way over rated by some.
Budgellism
11/7/09 7:35:15PM
I like both these guys. This is going to be an absolute war. Le should stick to mma. He's not the best actor, but he is a pretty damn good fighter. Le by 2nd round ko with of course, a high kick.