Cung Le Comments On A Potential Matchup Against Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Cung Le Comments On A Potential Matchup Against Anderson Silva
SmileR
5/29/08 11:05:33PM
Cung Le is coming off of the biggest win of his career, a victory over MMA legend Frank Shamrock. Le recently sat down with our friends over atMMAFrenzy to discuss the win, and his future.
Of note, was Le's thoughts on fighting UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva:

I feel my promoter is open to do a co-promotion, but I know the UFC isn’t willing to do one, but I am sure that Dana White can come in and borrow me for one fight, but of course he has to pay my promoter something.

I’m sure something can be worked out, if the fans really want that fight, and if Dana could make it happen I am sure my promoter Scott Coker would be open to it.

When asked how Le thinks he would fair in a fight with Silva, Le was humble as always.

I am going to answer you like if I was asked if I would beat Frank, I don’t know. I didn’t know if I was going to beat Frank, I don’t know if I would beat Anderson if I fought him. The only way I would find out if I could beat him is to fight him.

To all my opponents, doesn’t matter if it is Mike Altman my first MMA fight, to an Anderson Silva, who is pound for pound the best in the world, I respect them all the same. They are martial artists and they train, they live the martial arts lifestyle. I have respect for all my martial arts brothers out there, and then if we step into the cage, then we step in the cage, which then is do our best to win.

Link
imanidiot777
5/29/08 11:23:36PM
Or when he finishes his current contract the UFC can snatch him up since that's what they try to do with fighters that they think can contend.
chubbud22
5/29/08 11:28:17PM
Andreson would destroy him IMO. If Frank can hang with Cung on the feet for that long I think Anderson would stomp him.
bigbubbano23
5/29/08 11:55:37PM

Posted by imanidiot777

Or when he finishes his current contract the UFC can snatch him up since that's what they try to do with fighters that they think can contend.

exactly what i was thinking. they wont risk anderson losing to someone who is not part of the ufc.
Mchubb316
5/29/08 11:59:27PM
Dana would not pay a fighter for one fight. He didn't do it for Fedor, there is no way he would do it for Le. Anderson would knock Le out in the first. I think he would put his knee right on his chin.
puppetmaster837
5/30/08 12:41:57AM
Why would Cung even think he deserves this fight? His strikes are designed to be flashy and wear his opponents down so he can get the TKO. They both fought Tony Fryklund. It took him until the 3rd round to get a TKO, it took Silva 2 minutes to knock him out cold.
89vision
5/30/08 1:21:15AM

Posted by puppetmaster837

Why would Cung even think he deserves this fight? His strikes are designed to be flashy and wear his opponents down so he can get the TKO. They both fought Tony Fryklund. It took him until the 3rd round to get a TKO, it took Silva 2 minutes to knock him out cold.

it dosnt sound like he does think he deserves it
telnights
5/30/08 3:26:22AM

Posted by imanidiot777

Yeah they will just wait till his contract is up and pick him up. Thats if he wins his fights to finish his contract. But I think asking for a fight with Silva is crazy he isn't ready for that level of fighter.
taporsnap26
5/30/08 7:51:13AM

Posted by puppetmaster837

remember that elbow that silva finished fryklund with? wow...

if this fight happens silva will win in the first round by ko
whardin19
5/30/08 7:58:28AM
Yeah, I don't think Le would have a chance against Silva. I'm not too impressed with Le. I know he got a big win over Frank, but Frank is getting older. He also didn't use his gameplan the way he should have in that fight.
xburbx
5/30/08 9:36:53AM
the fight would be a waste of ppv. there are too many better fighters ahead of le.
gsquat
5/30/08 10:05:01AM
As far as rankings are concerned there are a lot of fighters ahead of Le. But Le is the only fighter I know can beat Anderson. Le's standup is better than Silva's and Anderson has never been one to force a fight to the ground. If he loses on his feet he'll lose the fight. In this matchup, he's out-gunned.
wrona666
5/30/08 10:55:18AM
Silva by total destruction!!!!!!!
ICSlegend
5/30/08 11:28:48AM

Posted by gsquat

As far as rankings are concerned there are a lot of fighters ahead of Le. But Le is the only fighter I know can beat Anderson. Le's standup is better than Silva's and Anderson has never been one to force a fight to the ground. If he loses on his feet he'll lose the fight. In this matchup, he's out-gunned.

Exactly.

Frank hanging with Cung on the feet just proves how good Frank's striking is.

Cung Le has never been KOd. Don't know why people think Silva could do it. All he has is reach, Cung's the better striker. Undefeated in San Shou and K1.
D0wnUnd6e6r
5/30/08 11:49:38AM
oh poor Cung
tibbs420
5/30/08 12:22:49PM
As Much As I like Cung Lee And His Flashy Dashy Kicks...Anderson Goes In There To Hurt People...I Dont Know If Its Just Me... But Most Of His Fights...The Guy Does Not Miss An Attack....The Guy Must Have Atleast a 75% Connect Rating... Silva By Murder On Feet Or On Ground...Cung Lee Isnt Even Ready For a Jon Fitch NVM A Couple Steps Up And Facing A Anderson Silva...Im Not Discrediting Jon Fitch In Any Way...Cause The Guys Fu<kin Amazin On His Feet
tibbs420
5/30/08 12:26:27PM
The Only People I See Beating Anderson Silva Are....Yushin Okami By Incredible Flukey Leg Bar.....If Dan Henderson Can Some How Pull It Together...Or Goerge St Pierre...Other Then Those 3... I Just Dont Know Who Else Could Pull It Off
ICSlegend
5/30/08 2:21:53PM

Posted by tibbs420

The Only People I See Beating Anderson Silva Are....Yushin Okami By Incredible Flukey Leg Bar.....If Dan Henderson Can Some How Pull It Together...Or Goerge St Pierre...Other Then Those 3... I Just Dont Know Who Else Could Pull It Off

These will get you started -

Takase
Chonan
Azeredo

Akiyama
Filho
Misaki
Kang
Mousasi
Sakuraba
Manhoef
Gono
F. Shamrock
Lindland
Cung Le

GSP has never faced an elite striker. Serra gave him problems. Anderson would wreck him fairly easily.
loller90278
5/30/08 2:28:07PM

Posted by tibbs420

As Much As I like Cung Lee And His Flashy Dashy Kicks...Anderson Goes In There To Hurt People...I Dont Know If Its Just Me... But Most Of His Fights...The Guy Does Not Miss An Attack....The Guy Must Have Atleast a 75% Connect Rating... Silva By Murder On Feet Or On Ground...Cung Lee Isnt Even Ready For a Jon Fitch NVM A Couple Steps Up And Facing A Anderson Silva...Im Not Discrediting Jon Fitch In Any Way...Cause The Guys Fu<kin Amazin On His Feet

why would cung le fight jon fitch ?
lordicast
5/30/08 3:16:50PM
Hendo
Frank Shamrock
Cung Le
Filho

those are the only names i would buy a ticket for........

O and Ryo Chonan because i want to see him try to pull that crazy a$$ leg submission again LOL
prozacnation1978
5/30/08 4:50:57PM
i think cung should bail strikeforce and go to the ufc, he still has jorge santiago and masaki to fight and get by then i would hope the ufc gets him, throw him a can then sit it up next year
D0wnUnd6e6r
5/30/08 4:59:15PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by tibbs420

These will get you started -

Takase
Chonan
Azeredo

Akiyama
Filho
Misaki
Kang
Mousasi
Sakuraba
Manhoef
Gono
F. Shamrock
Lindland
Cung Le

GSP has never faced an elite striker. Serra gave him problems. Anderson would wreck him fairly easily.

Serra caused absolutely NO problems for GSP in their 2nd fight
SPARX
5/30/08 9:27:10PM
cung would get smashed by silva, im pretty sure cung wouldn't be able to beat hendo or even franklin...but the ufc has no1 left to fight silva so it might be a good idea to let the fight happen so dana and the ufc can brag about it.
tibbs420
6/3/08 12:22:42PM
I Didnt Say He Would Fight Jon Fitch...I Just Think Thats More Of The Level Cung Lee Is On...Cause Hes Not On A GSP Or Anderson Silva Level
tibbs420
6/3/08 12:24:17PM
They SHould Do A Lyoto Machida Vs Cung Lee...Style Vs Style...Considering They Both Like To Kick...Just One Evades Better Then The Other