CSAC: EliteXC Drug Failure Was Antonio Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » CSAC: EliteXC Drug Failure Was Antonio Silva
DCRage
8/21/08 1:34:10PM
EliteXC just took another huge blow. The CSAC announced that the positive drug test from their 7/26 show was new Heavyweight Champion Antonio Silva. He's suspended 1 year and fined $2500.

Article
emfleek
8/21/08 1:35:37PM

Very disappointing.
DCRage
8/21/08 1:37:22PM
I had been thinking it might've been him, if partly because he's usually gotta cut at least 35 pounds just to get to HW limits (Sherdog lists him at 300). If the other blows haven't killed EXC yet, this one could. They must find a way to get the belt off Silva and get it on Kimbo.
xphycorx
8/21/08 1:44:33PM
what a big goof
finnish_line
8/21/08 1:52:14PM

That means that Elite XC has no heavyweight champion for the first time in ...three weeks!

They need to schedule an emergency dark match!
DCRage
8/21/08 1:54:05PM
Said it before, will say it again: KIMBO OR BUST! Seriously, if I'm Jared Shaw, I make Kimbo vs. Brett Rogers for CBS in October and I make it NOW. Might be too late though, but we'll see.
grappler0000
8/21/08 2:09:18PM

Posted by DCRage

Said it before, will say it again: KIMBO OR BUST! Seriously, if I'm Jared Shaw, I make Kimbo vs. Brett Rogers for CBS in October and I make it NOW. Might be too late though, but we'll see.

I agree that Kimbo is keeping them afloat. The only problem with matching him up with Rogers is...what if he loses? If Kimbo were to get his ass handed to him, the mystique behind him will disappear...and ultimately, people will stop tuning in to watch him fight. EliteXC needs Kimbo to headline in order to get viewers, but it's equally important that he wins.
Twenty20Dollars
8/21/08 2:10:10PM
Kimbo vs Brett for the title would work to have another champ and not have people stay on the issue of silva and steriods
nickcuc547
8/21/08 2:12:02PM
Awful news for EliteXC, having your heavyweight champ go down, in a weak heavyweight division is devastating. I don't even know who they could set up next, Rogers is the only one who comes to mind, but it might still be early for him.
Khaos
8/21/08 2:20:08PM
oh no, this means we could see Gannon vs Kimbo 2 for the HW belt.

Kill me now!!!
juanez13
8/21/08 2:31:55PM

Posted by Khaos

Kill me now!!!

DCRage
8/21/08 2:35:41PM

Posted by Khaos

Kill me now!!!

I've lost track of how many times I've said it today...It. Will. Not. Happen. Jared Shaw already said "Gannon is not the guy".
bojangalz
8/21/08 2:47:40PM
This is all just another nail in the perverbial ProElite coffin.
Wolfenstein
8/21/08 2:56:57PM
Antonio had some real potential as a HW. I'll never understand why a fighter uses an anabolic steroid when they know they're going to be tested. It's just baffling. Especially a streroid like Boldenone that shows up on tests for a year and a half. It's intended for horses, so it's not exactly like this is one of the lighter steroid either.
MikeyG
8/21/08 3:05:01PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by DCRage

I agree that Kimbo is keeping them afloat. The only problem with matching him up with Rogers is...what if he loses? If Kimbo were to get his ass handed to him, the mystique behind him will disappear...and ultimately, people will stop tuning in to watch him fight. EliteXC needs Kimbo to headline in order to get viewers, but it's equally important that he wins.

I disagree, if he gets his ass handed to him his die hards and other people should realize he wasnt as good as previously thought and give credit to the real top 30 HW's. I'm sorry but if there gonna put their company fully into Kimbo its not gonna last long unless they make that Gannon fight or more 10-10 fighers. For the sport to grow people need to lose or stay undefeated either one is good as long as its exciting. Look at Randy, Tito and Chuck back in their primes 2001-2004 and when they started to lose a short time later the UFC was still afloat even though their biggest stars at the time lost. New stars will be born every year and will keep growing because the sport is so popular and doubles in fans and fighters frequently, besides if they really think Kimbo is the best HW maybe Elite XC should go under. I have Rogers smashing Kimbo in the 1st anyway, maybe KImbo should put down the blunts and cigs and earn that bread, oh and it should be for the now vacant HW belt.
juanez13
8/21/08 3:09:24PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Antonio had some real potential as a HW. I'll never understand why a fighter uses an anabolic steroid when they know they're going to be tested. It's just baffling. Especially a streroid like Boldenone that shows up on tests for a year and a half. It's intended for horses, so it's not exactly like this is one of the lighter steroid either.

Wait..Antonio Silva isnt a horse?!?

rabbit915
8/21/08 3:38:32PM
Im shocked. I even went on a rant about how i was sure it wasnt him. Ive got to go take a fighter out of my top 10 favorite fighters. Looks like Mike Whitehead is going to make a comeback on that list.
juanez13
8/21/08 3:42:59PM
Here is Silva's response (from 5oz)

Alex Davis, the manager for suspended EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva, recently issued a statement on behalf of Silva via the Underground forum at MixedMartialArts.com in which Silva proclaims his innocence.

“Dear Family, Friends, Fans and Public, I did not use the steroid Boldenone, or any other steroid of prohibited substance,” Silva’s statement began. “I don’t agree and never have agreed with the use of this kind of product in order to win, for this is cheating. I will go to the full extent of my power and the law to prove my innocence in this matter.”

Boldenone is an anabolic steroid primarily used by veterinarian’s on animals. In response to followups responses written by those who read Silva’s statement, Davis maintained Silva’s innocence but was unsure why the test came out positive.

“My friends, Antonio is one of the hardest working, most serious athletes I know,” wrote Davis. “He also is a man that holds high his principles. We dont know at this point how he tested positive for a horse steroid, but what we do know is that he doesn’t make use of these kind of products. However, we will find out or die trying. We are allways reading about guys getting caught and declaring (their) innocence, and it is always met with a degree of skepticism, but the (truth) is that career hurting mistakes are being made and it is high time the we find out how and why they happen. We are extremely sure of ourselves in this matter and are willing to go to the very gates of hell to prove that we are being wronged. Hopefully, this will not only clear Antonio, but also help clear other peolple that have had the same thing happen to them.”

dinex
8/21/08 4:27:51PM
I don't think this really affects EliteXC in any noticeable way. They didn't have any big matches lined up for Silva anyway and he isn't that well known.
Mchubb316
8/21/08 5:36:38PM
Thats too bad. I enjoy watching Silva fight. This is not a good thing for EliteXC, and now must try and find a way to crown another champ. I hope they don't just put Kimbo in there against some can, and call it a HW title fight.
SpiderSilva
8/21/08 5:40:27PM
so does this make the guy he beat the new champ?
grappler0000
8/21/08 5:53:54PM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by DCRage

I disagree, if he gets his ass handed to him his die hards and other people should realize he wasnt as good as previously thought and give credit to the real top 30 HW's. I'm sorry but if there gonna put their company fully into Kimbo its not gonna last long unless they make that Gannon fight or more 10-10 fighers. For the sport to grow people need to lose or stay undefeated either one is good as long as its exciting. Look at Randy, Tito and Chuck back in their primes 2001-2004 and when they started to lose a short time later the UFC was still afloat even though their biggest stars at the time lost. New stars will be born every year and will keep growing because the sport is so popular and doubles in fans and fighters frequently, besides if they really think Kimbo is the best HW maybe Elite XC should go under. I have Rogers smashing Kimbo in the 1st anyway, maybe KImbo should put down the blunts and cigs and earn that bread, oh and it should be for the now vacant HW belt.

What works for the UFC doesn't necessarily work for other organizations. EliteXC didn't choose to put all of their eggs in one basket, it's just the way it's playing out. Kimbo is the only one making them money...and that will only happen as long as he seems superhuman to the casual fan.
prozacnation1978
8/21/08 6:01:36PM
i liked him alot of of the few bright stars on their roster
just another blow back for elite xc
now get the brett rodgers vs kimbo now for the title
ncordless
8/21/08 6:31:06PM

Posted by dinex

I don't think this really affects EliteXC in any noticeable way. They didn't have any big matches lined up for Silva anyway and he isn't that well known.

I agree. EXC may be in tough times already, but this doesn't really hurt them. Antonio Silva wasn't making them any money, and really having a HW champ is counter-productive for them right now as it means they have a fighter ranked higher than Kimbo. They need to focus on CBS cards with Kimbo and a great undercard. That way they can gather in the casual fan and make him/her a real fan. Having the champ of Kimbo's division fight before Kimbo does nothing for the mystique of Kimbo and therefore does nothing for EXC.
Kracker_Jap
8/21/08 7:34:00PM
I knew ha couldn't win i want my fantasy points back
Sam_Rothstein
8/21/08 11:02:22PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I knew ha couldn't win i want my fantasy points back

He still would of beat the breaks off of Eilers had steroids not been involved. Horrible decision on his part
telnights
8/22/08 2:07:59AM
That's really sad I was hoping not to see anything like this for the rest of the year. There is no way around this he was tested positive by two different company's and two different samples. Well looks like he will have a year to just train and heal.

MikeyG
8/22/08 2:43:28AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by DCRage

What works for the UFC doesn't necessarily work for other organizations. EliteXC didn't choose to put all of their eggs in one basket, it's just the way it's playing out. Kimbo is the only one making them money...and that will only happen as long as he seems superhuman to the casual fan.

I pretty much said that EliteXC isnt like the UFC in that they hold Kimbo so highly when hes just a name. Hate to break it to you bro but JT already took his so called superhuman aura away and if the casual fan(s) still thinks hes the best maybe that fan(s) should find a new sport where its black and white and no gray area. I still think its a plus for the sport when ppl lose but make it exciting, a names a name, that shouldnt matter as much as the quality of fighter period.
Svartorm
8/22/08 4:06:51AM
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say this has to do with his knee being messed up from before the Ricco fight, and the general lack of decent medicine in Brazil. No way is he getting off the hook here either with the CSAC. If they didn't let Sherk go, I don't think they're letting anyone go for any reason.