Cruz: My game will ruin Barao

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Cruz: My game will ruin Barao
Rabi
2/18/13 2:36:20PM
Dominick Cruz dismissed the threat of Renan Barao after watching the Brazilian beat Michael McDonald in Saturday's main event at UFC London.

Barao chalked up his 30th straight win with a fourth-round submission, defending his interim bantamweight title in the process. Now he must wait to see if Cruz will be fit to offer his next challenge.

Current champion Cruz is recovering from a serious knee injury, but watched Barao's impressive performance with interest. In his opinion, Barao's gameplan will completely fail when the pair share an Octagon.

LINK
airkerma
2/18/13 3:02:32PM
Not sure if I believe it, but I'm damned sure I want to find out.
sparky
2/18/13 3:11:40PM
Renan will destroy Cruz in every area in my honest opinion.
Theoutlaw08
2/18/13 3:25:11PM
I hope Cruz gets healthy by end of summer so this fight can happen.
DrivenDavies15
2/18/13 3:43:33PM
This is going to be a great fight when it eventually happens. I would pick Barao over Cruz because imo he can stuff takedowns and beat him standing but Cruz definitely would give Barao some problems with his timing/footwork and speed.
Poor_Franklin
2/18/13 5:02:15PM
i would pick Barao over Cruz bc i have a hard time picking a guy coming off a year & a half or longer layoff & fighting a guy on Barao's level.
i like Cruz, & think it's possible, but i was already considering picking Barao over Cruz when he was healthy. definitely picking Barao after the layoff.
Theoutlaw08
2/18/13 5:29:29PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i would pick Barao over Cruz bc i have a hard time picking a guy coming off a year & a half or longer layoff & fighting a guy on Barao's level.
i like Cruz, & think it's possible, but i was already considering picking Barao over Cruz when he was healthy. definitely picking Barao after the layoff.

Id agree with this. Thats a long time to not fight. Ring rest sets in big time after that long. I would agree with saying that I would consider taking Barao even if Cruz had been healthy.
FastKnockout
2/18/13 6:27:43PM
I'd pick Cruz to win if he wasnt coming off such a long layoff. I think his stick and move style would frustrate Barao.
spang714
2/18/13 9:24:39PM
I think pre-injury Cruz would take Barao, but you just never know how athletes are gonna come back from these knee injuries
RhythmAndStyle
2/19/13 1:08:51AM
i honestly believe Cruz had one of those career ending injuries..back to back is never a good thing..
postman
2/19/13 8:49:37AM
Depending on the recovery I would favor Cruz. His knee tap is GSP level, if he wants to hit it on you your going to be on your back.
Pookie
2/19/13 12:59:17PM
Leg kicks beat Movement.
ncordless
2/19/13 6:01:03PM
For all the talk of Cruz's movement, I still think it's overrated. He constantly ducks his head to the left without keeping his hands up. That's fine against many fighters, but is a huge potential opening for someone with fast knees/RHK like Barao.

Cruz's movement frustrates lots of opponents, but Mighty Mouse showed that it's not impregnable if you have the speed to match it. Barao isn't as fast as his teammates (Aldo, Dantas), but he might well be quick enough to land enough shots to keep up with the pitter patter Cruz lands.
LightsOUT23
2/19/13 6:22:49PM
Cruz is still the most under rated champion ever. He has a well rounded game and a relentless pace. I cannot understand why this guy doesn't seem to have any respect from the fans.

My only worry is the long lay off, If Cruz is fit and ready to go up on his return then i pick him to get it done. The more that Barao fights why Cruz sits on the sidelines also give Cruz an excellent chance to see if they're are any holes in Barao's game.

If Cruz loses to Baroa it will come down to fitness, i hope he's ready, I will be picking him to retain the top spot.