UFC Could Crush Affliction, Put Brock Lesnar on Spike vs. Fedor Emelianenko on PPV

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Could Crush Affliction, Put Brock Lesnar on Spike vs. Fedor Emelianenko on PPV
grappler0000
6/10/08 10:02:35AM
UFC is the undisputed champion of mixed martial arts promotions, but there are a few organizations that are trying to put some chinks in UFC's armor. EliteXC got a prime time network TV deal, and Affliction has a pay-per-view show next month -- headlined by Fedor Emelianenko -- that will have every bit as much MMA talent on display as a typical UFC pay-per-view show.

But UFC President Dana White could take a huge step to undercut Affliction and show that UFC is still the dominant dog: He could take the Brock Lesnar-Heath Herring fight, which is currently scheduled for UFC 87, August 9 on pay-per-view, and move it to July 19 on free TV or basic cable (most likely Spike), head to head with Affliction's pay-per-view show.

That would crush Affliction. Although I was skeptical about Lesnar when he first signed with UFC, he's undeniably a big draw. He's well-known from his days in the WWE, and MMA fans respect his background as an NCAA wrestling champion. Emelianenko is a much more accomplished MMA fighter than Lesnar, but among American fans, Lesnar's name is bigger than Fedor's, and if the choice is between watching Lesnar on basic cable or paying $50 to watch Fedor, for most fans, that's an easy choice to make.

Link
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/10/08 10:56:01AM
That article seemed like a troll thread. He has no source or even a reason to speculate, it is just his opinion of what would be a good idea.

Also, UFC could be seen in a negative light by trying to go head to head with another org. UFC typically just ignores the competiton and I think that trend continues.

I would let Fedor build a name with another org and then sign him. That would be the most damaging thing to do.
silverbullet
6/10/08 10:56:36AM
go Brock!
grappler0000
6/10/08 11:03:29AM

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

That article seemed like a troll thread. He has no source or even a reason to speculate, it is just his opinion of what would be a good idea.

Also, UFC could be seen in a negative light by trying to go head to head with another org. UFC typically just ignores the competiton and I think that trend continues.

I would let Fedor build a name with another org and then sign him. That would be the most damaging thing to do.

I've seen several articles from the guy on MMA, so I don't think I'd go as far as say he's a troll. Whether he has the inside scoop or just sharing his opinion, I'm not quite sure. The UFC has went head to head with their competition several times in the past though, so you can't say this is the first...the most recent would be the Ultimate Iceman marathon on Spike TV to battle EliteXC's first show on CBS.
jlock003
6/10/08 11:27:35AM

Posted by grappler0000

I've seen several articles from the guy on MMA, so I don't think I'd go as far as say he's a troll. Whether he has the inside scoop or just sharing his opinion, I'm not quite sure. The UFC has went head to head with their competition several times in the past though, so you can't say this is the first...the most recent would be the Ultimate Iceman marathon on Spike TV to battle EliteXC's first show on CBS.

That's a really good point, but the iceman marathon/chuck wanderlei fight didn't cost nearly as much money to put on as a card. I am a firm believer that competition will help the sport to grow so I hope they do compete with other organizations like affliction and dream. I'm just curious as to whether or not they are ready to risk not making the same dollar amount for putting on a ppv caliber show free on spike. It will be worth keeping track of.
grappler0000
6/10/08 11:38:27AM

Posted by jlock003

Posted by grappler0000

That's a really good point, but the iceman marathon/chuck wanderlei fight didn't cost nearly as much money to put on as a card. I am a firm believer that competition will help the sport to grow so I hope they do compete with other organizations like affliction and dream. I'm just curious as to whether or not they are ready to risk not making the same dollar amount for putting on a ppv caliber show free on spike. It will be worth keeping track of.

I think they would make that tradeoff in a heart beat. They will still make money, just not as much...and with as much momentum the Affliction card is building with Trump getting involved, it would be detrimental for their very expensive, first card to flop...they don't have enough talent to recoup fast enough for a second show with as much depth.

As far as going head to head, other examples are...having their press conference the same time when Handy had his...they went head to head with a CR event when they first started going to Euroope. It's nothing new, but it's smart business.
casey64
6/10/08 12:37:49PM
Go Brock!!!!
puppetmaster837
6/10/08 1:43:14PM
It seems like it could mess up some fighters training schedule or if they have injuries much less time to heal by moving it a month forward
xxdeadpoolxx
6/10/08 2:08:20PM
Yea umm I'm going to that event and won't be too happy if they remove one of the main events won't happen
ncordless
6/10/08 2:08:52PM
That's not really news at all. That guy is just taking a proactive approach to trolling.

BTW, yeah it would be an easy choice for most fans between Fedor, Sylvia, Barnett, Arlovski, Rizzo, and Rothwell or Herring/Brock Lesnar. Any true fan of the sport would watch the better fighters, while the lame-o boo birds who boo when a fight isn't fought at a distance of 2ft while standing up and the WWE crossover fans will side with former WWE superstar Lesnar.
hodge
6/10/08 2:12:25PM
Stupid arcticle hes claiming that watching one free main event involving two fighters is better than paying to watch some of the sports top fighters.
nickcuc547
6/10/08 2:25:41PM
that would be a pretty smart move, a little snakey but smart at the same time.
grappler0000
6/10/08 2:27:47PM

Posted by ncordless

That's not really news at all. That guy is just taking a proactive approach to trolling.

BTW, yeah it would be an easy choice for most fans between Fedor, Sylvia, Barnett, Arlovski, Rizzo, and Rothwell or Herring/Brock Lesnar. Any true fan of the sport would watch the better fighters, while the lame-o boo birds who boo when a fight isn't fought at a distance of 2ft while standing up and the WWE crossover fans will side with former WWE superstar Lesnar.

It's not just the crossovers...it's a matter of Free vs PPV. I know there are plenty of people on the playground that don't throw down the cash for all of the PPV's, so it would be the logical choice for them...not to mention, this is the same card with GSP/Fitch. Also, lets not forget that the majority of people who watch are actually casual fans. It would make a huge impact IMO.
wrona666
6/10/08 3:40:07PM
Personally I would rather pay for the Affliction PPV.....I have no interest at all in the Lesnar vs Herring fight, but i would be turning the channel when the GSP vs Fitch fight came on.....
jakeiceman
6/10/08 3:47:36PM
Either way, whether your a hardcore fan or not, if the UFC does do this, it will crush the Affliction card, and I mean CRUSH it. The talent on the Affliction card is damn good but it wont be enough to beat a free card as good as this. I think it would be a smart move on the UFCs part to do this.
MondayNiteMauser
6/10/08 3:55:47PM
They aren't going to take brock of 87...He's fighting in his hometown.
postman
6/10/08 3:59:59PM
So you are going to make another event keep 87 on 8-9-08 but move herring lesnar to the new card on the 19th of july. Alot of work to do in one month and also I would still buy the affliction card and DVR the free UFC card. Anyone who is really a fan of MMA would be doing the same thing.

Not to mention when you go out to the bar and everyone knows you as the guy who watches all the fights how many times are you asked who is going to win a fight that the person thinks is coming up but really happened last week? I know it happen to me alot.

Being from Pittsburgh The pens were playing during the Saturday night CBS card no one in the bar even knew it was on. I had them change the station during intermission. I don't see the UFC being albe to promote a new card in just over a month.

What may seem like a good idea would turn out to be a mess.
jakeiceman
6/10/08 4:06:40PM

Posted by postman

So you are going to make another event keep 87 on 8-9-08 but move herring lesnar to the new card on the 19th of july. Alot of work to do in one month and also I would still buy the affliction card and DVR the free UFC card. Anyone who is really a fan of MMA would be doing the same thing.

Not to mention when you go out to the bar and everyone knows you as the guy who watches all the fights how many times are you asked who is going to win a fight that the person thinks is coming up but really happened last week? I know it happen to me alot.

Being from Pittsburgh The pens were playing during the Saturday night CBS card no one in the bar even knew it was on. I had them change the station during intermission. I don't see the UFC being albe to promote a new card in just over a month.

What may seem like a good idea would turn out to be a mess.

I agree with you for the most part but if you choose to watch a free UFC event over this Affliction card (as great as it is) it doesnt mean your not a 'real' MMA fan. Believe me I want to see this card but there are alot of people such as myself who cant shell out 50 bucks to watch it and a free card on spike would give you your MMA fix for free and you could always check out the Affliction card for free on the net the next day (yeah its a little shady but I do it )

Actually I'm so broke I dont have dish or a DVR.....is there anyway the Playground can unite for a good cause and donate to the "Jakeiceman needs a DVR fund" ????
postman
6/10/08 5:44:00PM
As for donations.......No. Lol but good try. But your right about the Money being a Issue. I more ment if you had your pick (and you had the extra 50) what card would you watch. I should have picked my words better. In no way did I mean to suggest that if you didn't buy that fight you wern't a true fan. But if you could pick between the two the Lesnar fight or the Fedor fight, and you pick Lesnar I have to question your status as a MMA Fan. I do want to say that none of this is a knock on Lesnar he may turn out to be a great fighter and I wish him the best.
Red-Dragon
6/10/08 5:57:13PM
Whatever happens I hope Affliction is successful. The more good orgs the better for MMA fans.
crushedbacon
6/10/08 6:59:40PM
The ufc card is great , the affliction card is great....... as an mma fan I have a huge problem with ufc doing this. The fans get screwed here.......I doubt they will do this how can they just move a show......logistically it seems like bullshit.
RampageOwnedYou
6/10/08 7:47:16PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!???

Brock couldnt beat Mir, but he should fight Fedor ( the top heavyweight of all time)?
Give me a break. Brock has no chance vs him, and i think Brock and Kimbo should be put on the same line as good but not good enough. Too much hype on these guys and its a joke, especially to the guys who have earned their name. These guys have earned their name the wrong way, and its sad.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/10/08 10:29:38PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!???

Brock couldnt beat Mir, but he should fight Fedor ( the top heavyweight of all time)?
Give me a break. Brock has no chance vs him, and i think Brock and Kimbo should be put on the same line as good but not good enough. Too much hype on these guys and its a joke, especially to the guys who have earned their name. These guys have earned their name the wrong way, and its sad.

You should reread the article, he is not calling for a Fedor vs Lesnar fight. Or perhaps read the article for the first time I suspect.
Boo_Radley21
6/10/08 10:36:28PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!???

Lol it's about the events going head to head.
SpiderSilva
6/11/08 12:39:35AM
My wife is pissed do to the two good Shows next month (high cable bill) even if there was a SPIKE show I would Tivo that and watch these fights from affliction