Crossfitters...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Crossfitters...
Jackelope
7/1/10 12:53:38AM
Just wondering if there are any other infidels out there in MMAPlayground land? I know when I was training a lot of the other fighters used Crossfit to train, but I was always more a fan of traditional exercise.

In the past few months I've crossed over into Crossfit and I've got to say that I feel like I was missing something all along. This program is truly one of a kind, exciting, and it absolutely, positively works. Due to the change in diet required, the constant awkward exercises, and the heavy emphasis on muscles that aren't of the "t-shirt" variety my functional strength has gone through the roof.

If you're a crossfitter or just someone curious post in this thread and let me know what you think about the program. I use main page WoD mostly, but I'm known to creep into Crossfit Football and SEALFit every now and again just for fun.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/1/10 2:04:14AM
That was like the best infomercial ever. I don't even know what this is and I want to try it. I think you've found your calling.
Jackelope
7/2/10 2:47:09AM
www.crossfit.com

www.sealfit.com

www.crossfitfootball.com

Read the articles and do work. What looks like it's easy will break you the @#!$ off. It's great.
jae_1833
7/2/10 7:49:59PM
USMC has gotten into this lately, I love it! It shocks your body, builds stabalizer muscles, and it's done relatively quickly with few supplies....great for being on ship.
Jackelope
7/2/10 8:32:56PM

Posted by jae_1833

USMC has gotten into this lately, I love it! It shocks your body, builds stabalizer muscles, and it's done relatively quickly with few supplies....great for being on ship.

Yeah, man.. I wish I had known about this stuff while I was deployed and we had next to nothing to train with. I could have done a lot more than just stupid dumbbell complexes over and over again and had a lot more fun.

I spent several months (8) deployed with the USMC and to me there are a few things the USMC does better than anybody else. One of them is, as a branch, they're much better at organizing fitness than any of the others. Even while in combat. They make fitness part of esprit de corps which is another area in which they excel beyond all other branches of the military.

I think for combat crossfit is the perfect program. Endurance is important for mental strength, but for the most part firefights and contact in general are short bursts of energy mixed in with long bouts of increased heart rate due to adrenaline. Crossfit's metcon exercises are perfect for this IMO since they build on both cardiovascular fitness and muscular work capacity.