CroCop...(spoiler)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » CroCop...(spoiler)
Next Page »
warglory
9/8/07 10:52:47PM
...is never going to be successful in the UFC, and it pains my heart. I am such a big fan of his and was severely disappointed this evening. I don't know what the reasons wer, but Cheik was the perfect opponent for Mirko, and he lost it in a big way. He started off really strong, but once Congo's corner kept yelling "go towards him!" I had a gut feeling it would be all over rom that point on. CroCop was dominated, and I am 90% sure it has everything to do with the cage. The man has fought his entire career in the ring, he is an established, well manicured kickboxer, that is what he knows. The cage was designed for grapplers, that is obvious to just about any experienced UFC fan, and unless CroCop realizes he is no longer a kickboxer, but a mixed martial artist, he is going to continue to lose fights against game opponents. It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks so to speak, and I am really sad to say that CroCop won't be able t capitalize. However, with that said, I will always be a fan of CroCop, no matter what the results of his matches are.
Pitbull09
9/8/07 11:14:54PM
Mirko is too old, thats why he moved to UFC, cause he thought he could handle the lower competition but obviously age has caught up to him.
loonytnt
9/8/07 11:23:47PM
i won $2000 off this fight, cro cop is overrated in mma IMO, great in K-1 needs to stay there i think, not sayin anything bad about CC but all there is left to fight in the HW div is great fighters
silverbullet
9/8/07 11:25:57PM
Mirko looked old and tired. I don't think he cares anymore. Time to go into politics full-time
cmill21
9/8/07 11:44:59PM

Posted by loonytnt

i won $2000 off this fight, cro cop is overrated in mma IMO, great in K-1 needs to stay there i think, not sayin anything bad about CC but all there is left to fight in the HW div is great fighters

My god this post is riddled with very dumb comments. He's not overrated, he had a great mma career. He looks like a kid who's being forced to football practice by his parents. Very dissapointing, that was not Mirko Cro Cop, for the third time.
warglory
9/9/07 12:29:50AM
I honestly don't think CroCop is any different than he was previously. I don't think that CroCop knows how to find his range and striking ability in the cage, and this is causing him to become overwhelmed and pushed against the cage, which despite training extensively in it, is not his home. If CroCop had fought Cheik in the ring tonight, he would have probably won in the first. He isn't old, and he isn't spoiled by the money as some have said, he is just really out of his element.
sakurabaforever
9/9/07 12:41:59AM
cmill, warglory, I think you're both right to an extent.

That was definitely NOT the old CC. I will always be a diehard fan of his for what he has already accomplished in K1 and Pride. He is one of the best MMA fighters of all time, he is not overrated.

But he fought entirely way too often his whole career, and I believe unless he does a major overhaul, we will never see the old CC. It looks like his ring age may just have caught up with him. Cmill put it perfectly with the football practice analogy. Although CC did look "more like his old self", evident in Round 1, it was still mechanical, he didn't seem to have his heart in it. I also think the cage is a big factor, he can't find his range and is not used to being stalled against the cage for half the fight.

It's a shame Fedor did not participate in the OWGP, that looked like CC's last stand as a fighter, where he simply would not allow himself to lose no matter what. No one could have beaten that man that night in the finals, not even Fedor. I think CC would have retired after defeating Fedor had he fought, with a great legacy in place. Instead we will be subjected to TUF noobs spewing nonsense about an overrated CC and how awesome UFC fighters are and could destroy Fedor.
Ydoc
9/9/07 12:49:44AM
Cro Cop is a sad story of a guy going from top contender in Pride to gate keeper in the UFC. He's really lost something in the translation. Not sure he could even beat Assuerio Silva in a cage, or if he really has any passion left for the sport.

Lord_Lenny
9/9/07 12:58:50AM
To put it shortly, He's just not comfortable and gets easily frustrated in the cage. I was frustrated watching but i cant imagine how he feels. Its definitely a sad thing to know that this is probably his last string of fights and its even sadder to see them going like this
cmill21
9/9/07 1:18:30AM

Posted by sakurabaforever

That was definitely NOT the old CC. I will always be a diehard fan of his for what he has already accomplished in K1 and Pride. He is one of the best MMA fighters of all time, he is not overrated.

But he fought entirely way too often his whole career, and I believe unless he does a major overhaul, we will never see the old CC. It looks like his ring age may just have caught up with him. Cmill put it perfectly with the football practice analogy. Although CC did look "more like his old self", evident in Round 1, it was still mechanical, he didn't seem to have his heart in it. I also think the cage is a big factor, he can't find his range and is not used to being stalled against the cage for half the fight.

It's a shame Fedor did not participate in the OWGP, that looked like CC's last stand as a fighter, where he simply would not allow himself to lose no matter what. No one could have beaten that man that night in the finals, not even Fedor. I think CC would have retired after defeating Fedor had he fought, with a great legacy in place. Instead we will be subjected to TUF noobs spewing nonsense about an overrated CC and how awesome UFC fighters are and could destroy Fedor.

Agree with everything, I am worried about wand for this reason as well. I hope the UFC lets Mirko retire, it's so evedent in his face that he no longer wants to fight. I guess we should have realized this by all his interviews and how he says "I think my career is winding down" and how much he's wanting to go back to ATJ Luko. Everyone may not realize it but fighting is a hobby to him, he takes more pride in what he does for his country then his fights. I am still pissed kongo was throwing groin knees, I really dislike that man.
Trapt1nw0nder
9/9/07 1:30:23AM
after back to back brutal losses to fighters that werent even ranked in the top 10,it really makes me think less of Fedor,and if he really is worth 2 mil per fight.......Dana White for sure is kicking himself for having to pay CroCop 350K per fight after 2 losses...
KissMyBallz
9/9/07 1:33:46AM
I think it's alot simpler.

Mirko really hurt his foot in that Gonzaga fight and I simply think he's not 100% recovered from that.

That's why he didnt really throw that leg kick with any bad intntion. I honely think his foot is still bothering him and why he didnt look like the old Mirko. He didnt have that Killer Instinct he usually has, and to be honest, I don't know anymore if Mirko's head is even in the fight game in The UFC.

Just my opinion. Because this is NOT Mirko Cro Cop
cmill21
9/9/07 1:42:56AM

Posted by KissMyBallz

Mirko really hurt his foot in that Gonzaga fight and I simply think he's not 100% recovered from that.

That's why he didnt really throw that leg kick with any bad intntion. I honely think his foot is still bothering him and why he didnt look like the old Mirko. He didnt have that Killer Instinct he usually has, and to be honest, I don't know anymore if Mirko's head is even in the fight game in The UFC.

I don't know about the injury, but I agree.
spestle1
9/9/07 2:00:04AM
Yeah, I'm also a fan but I didnt think he could deal with Congo's striking. Congo just worked him over, he doesn't look like the same fighter he was in Pride. I made a killing on him though.
cmill21
9/9/07 2:02:13AM
Suprisingly I thought kongo looked like crap in that fight as well. I think they both fought poorly. It's just a sad sad day for me.
Trapt1nw0nder
9/9/07 2:05:33AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by KissMyBallz

I don't know about the injury, but I agree.

Injuries are not a problem when you're in a fight....when your adrenaline is flowing you have no time to think about pain....come on ..randy fought with a broken hand and kept punching...even he said you dont feel pain in the heat of the moment.

Kongo simply didnt let Mirko set up for the big kick...everytime Mirko looked like he was setting up for a kick Kongo would kick Mirko's inner leg and got him off his game.
roadking95th
9/9/07 2:47:32AM

Posted by Pitbull09

Mirko is too old, thats why he moved to UFC, cause he thought he could handle the lower competition but obviously age has caught up to him.

I think the whole world is finding out that it was the "supposedly" lower competition. Not saying one was better than the other, just not inferior.

Cro Cop doesn't seem to have the passion anymore.
Kastro
9/9/07 2:55:56AM
Disappointing day for me... thought Cro Cop would own Kongo and I was wrong... very dissapointed in Mirko, he doesn't seem to have that "hunger" anymore..

Hopefully he can rebound and make his last 3 fights in the UFC something to remember..

Even if Cro Cop loses all the rest of his fights, he is a legend and will always be remembered as one of the best.. perhaps his time has passed, but when Cro Cop was Cro Cop he would have destroyed the UFC HW division..

Perhaps the cage plays a part, its bigger and has more room for opponents to dodge kicks and the cage also supports wrestlers/ground fighters... I hope Cro Cop comes back.
chris91301
9/9/07 3:16:13AM
i am kind of saddened too. he is my favorite fighter and he just didnt throw a single punch almost, he is really not fighting his fight anymore and kind of makes me sad that such a great fighter is losing all the fights out there.
Nacho
9/9/07 3:41:02AM
Dudes, Mirko is not too old... isn't he only 32? He needs to call up GSP and hook up with Greg Jackson and the sports pychologist who got GSP back on track. Didn't you hear him in his pre-fight interviews? He sounded in a terrible mental state. As Apollo Creed says, you gotta have that eye of the tiger!
Trapt1nw0nder
9/9/07 4:20:17AM

Posted by Nacho

Dudes, Mirko is not too old... isn't he only 32? He needs to call up GSP and hook up with Greg Jackson and the sports pychologist who got GSP back on track. Didn't you hear him in his pre-fight interviews? He sounded in a terrible mental state. As Apollo Creed says, you gotta have that eye of the tiger!

I agree man....CroCop didnt have "The eye of the tiger" tonight....I could see it even before the fight started...he looked worried,but Kongo....he had "the eye of the tiger" for sure!
ultimatefighter33
9/9/07 4:42:46AM
as i said before i would rather see mirko go out a legend than a hasbeen i say for his last fight give him pedro rizzo then let crocop go out with honor i know i wouldnt like to see him retire he is 1 of the reasons i love mma and will forever be champion in my heart and in the ufc video game CroCop 4 ever
Kastro
9/9/07 4:53:30AM

Posted by ultimatefighter33

as i said before i would rather see mirko go out a legend than a hasbeen i say for his last fight give him pedro rizzo then let crocop go out with honor i know i wouldnt like to see him retire he is 1 of the reasons i love mma and will forever be champion in my heart and in the ufc video game CroCop 4 ever

Props to that man, its sad to see Cro Cop lose like this but its MMA and this kind of stuff happens...

Mirko is #1 in my books forever, he is also the reason I started watching MMA..
Svartorm
9/9/07 5:23:01AM
I actually think one of those body kicks might have hurt him, which would explain why he looked so worn out in that fight. Four knees to the groin probably didn't help either, and I was a little upset with Big John for not only missing the first volley, but not deducting a point for the second. Kongo would have probably been given the fight regardless, but I thought that was poor form from Big John, as hes usually really on the ball.
Irish209
9/9/07 7:03:19AM
i bet that guy felt good beating the shit outta a cop lol! i would! cro cop lost his KI a long time ago...and ppl were saying cro cop vs fedor 2 LOL
jdubs
9/9/07 8:10:57AM

Posted by Pitbull09

it looks like cro cop is the lower competition to me
Aether
9/9/07 8:58:44AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

after back to back brutal losses to fighters that werent even ranked in the top 10,it really makes me think less of Fedor,and if he really is worth 2 mil per fight.......Dana White for sure is kicking himself for having to pay CroCop 350K per fight after 2 losses...

What in the hell does this have to do with Fedor???? This comment really makes absolutely no sense to me at all. If you're implying that Fedor got an easy win, he fought CroCop when he was at his best, and even if that weren't true it wouldn't erase any of his other accomplishments. If you're implying that because one fighter was unsuccessful in his transition that Fedor will perform on the same level, they are two completely different people and you really can't draw that kind of comparison.

I really have no idea what you're getting at with this statement or how you believe it makes any kind of logical sense, because no matter what angle I try to understand it from, it seems completely ridiculous. GSP losing his last fight to Matt Serra really makes me think less of Matt Hughes....
Ordep
9/9/07 11:07:07AM

Ok.. the cage it's probably giving him problems...ok...but he's not even throwing in the middle, a couple of kicks, ok, but not the kicks festival as it used to be. Two in a row is too much for a guy with such a big name...cut his contract, take him out!
keith-hackney1
9/9/07 11:53:12AM

Posted by sakurabaforever

Theres a present for you "sak" on the GG post !!!!
MartinKillMcGill
9/9/07 12:18:13PM

Posted by cmill21

Suprisingly I thought kongo looked like crap in that fight as well. I think they both fought poorly. It's just a sad sad day for me.

I agree i predicted a poor fight an IMO it was. I think the axe kick from kongo on cro cop when cro cop was on his back really hurt cro cop and he never rcovered from that.I wasnt at all that impressed by kongo people are talking about a title shot but if he fought randy he would be destroyed
Pages: [1] 2