CroCop lost his killer instinct?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » CroCop lost his killer instinct?
ICSlegend
3/11/08 1:33:57PM
Just some thoughts. Also please do not respond to this topic if you have not followed CC's K1 and PRIDE career, as this is a rather specific topic.

First of all, I'm not ragging on CC, he's one of my favorite fighters, especially back in K1 when he was just going on an onslaught against EVERYONE. Remember when he just relentlessly attacked? What happened to that? He used to wreck people in K1 and PRIDE.

My theory is he lost his killer instinct against Fedor. Whether it was overtraining, or whatever, he hasn't had the "killer instinct" since he dropped that decision. It's like it took his fire. Now he's a nice guy all of a sudden. Would the "old CC" punish Yoshida with leg kicks and then look at the ref or soccer kick Yoshida's head into oblivion? Seriously, the old CC was a brutal! He demonstrated some of that killer instinct against Wandy, and that's because Wand ran his mouth about hating CC, and CC was pissed, which is dangerous. But he just doesn't fight with "bad intentions" anymore. He game Minowa, Barnett, and Sanchez really "light finishes", and looked like he didn't even want to be there against GG and Kongo.

So this isn't a UFC thing, we can clearly see CC "showing mercy" after the Fedor fight. The "old CC" would have completely destroyed Hunt, Minowa, Yoshida, and Barnett. Just compare to the CC of K1 who dropped Hunt.

And I still believe he can get it back, but it looks like it's gonna be now or never. He has tarnished his legacy in the UFC and now it's time to go on a DREAM tear and then avenge against Nog for the title.
Pookie
3/11/08 2:12:55PM
I think he publicly stated that his heead wasnt in the game when the ufc bought up his contract.
The 10 pound weight loss before the kongo fight, he said had to do with a lack of motivation to continue fighting. At this time he was also contemplating retirement from the sport.

I hope he returns to top form
rabbit915
3/11/08 3:35:53PM
I would say that while his head wasnt where it needed to be when he was in the UFC, a bigger factor was just being in the cage. He clearly a ring fighter and thats the big reason why he wasnt able to fight well. I predict he makes a big come back starting with his next fight and im going to throw out a longshot prediction that he will fight and beat fedor later this year. Kinda crazy but i see it happening.
gsquat
3/11/08 6:18:30PM
My opinion: He's past his prime and/or competition is getting tougher with the rise of the sport.
cmill21
3/11/08 8:42:34PM

Posted by gsquat

My opinion: He's past his prime and/or competition is getting tougher with the rise of the sport.

I would agree and so would he if he was putting in 100% and not talking about retirement before each fight. It's clear his head wasn't into any of his three fights in the UFC. IMHO he spent his hole career chasing championships, and once he finally won one he lost all motivation, especially after the Fedor fight fell through due to the broken foot.
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/11/08 9:08:39PM
someone should tell him i borrowed it & will be returning it shortly
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Rush
3/11/08 9:21:23PM

Posted by cmill21

IMHO he spent his hole career chasing championships, and once he finally won one he lost all motivation, especially after the Fedor fight fell through due to the broken foot.

It's not only your opinion, but it's a fact that this happens to athletes. I am experiencing it myself right now.
ICSlegend
3/11/08 11:04:24PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Awesome.

And you guys are all right, but missed my specific point. CC lost his killer instinct BEFORE the UFC and BEFORE winning the OWGP. Like in the minowa and yoshida fights, the old CC would have soccer kicked them to hell, but finished them "lightly" instead.
cmill21
3/12/08 1:27:46AM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Awesome.

And you guys are all right, but missed my specific point. CC lost his killer instinct BEFORE the UFC and BEFORE winning the OWGP. Like in the minowa and yoshida fights, the old CC would have soccer kicked them to hell, but finished them "lightly" instead.

Tell that to Wand and Barney. He looked better then I have EVER seen him before against Wand, he looked absolutly unstoppable, everything Wand threw he shifted avoided it and struck like lightning so quick and with amazing precision. You look at what Chuck could accomplish against Wand in 15 minuets, then go look what Cro Cop did to him in 5. Also he beat Barnett(top 5 at least) for 7 straight minuets finally breaking his eye socket.
ICSlegend
3/12/08 12:50:36PM

Posted by cmill21

Tell that to Wand and Barney. He looked better then I have EVER seen him before against Wand, he looked absolutly unstoppable, everything Wand threw he shifted avoided it and struck like lightning so quick and with amazing precision. You look at what Chuck could accomplish against Wand in 15 minuets, then go look what Cro Cop did to him in 5. Also he beat Barnett(top 5 at least) for 7 straight minuets finally breaking his eye socket.

Well Wand pissed him off, I addressed that in my first post.

But CC from years ago would have absolutely brutalized everyone. He let Hunt, Yoshida, Minowa, Sanchez off the hook basically. Does no one remember the CC that soccer kicked everyone into a coma?
cmill21
3/12/08 7:01:23PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by cmill21

Well Wand pissed him off, I addressed that in my first post.

But CC from years ago would have absolutely brutalized everyone. He let Hunt, Yoshida, Minowa, Sanchez off the hook basically. Does no one remember the CC that soccer kicked everyone into a coma?

Lol thats fine you mentioned that but it doesn't change anything. He let Minowa and Yoshida "off the hook"? He just about broke Yoshida's femur, and minowa well, that was a shit kicking lol.
ICSlegend
3/12/08 10:22:13PM
Yeah, that's all true, but still not as brutal as the CC beatings of old. No one else has noticed this?
cmill21
3/12/08 10:43:13PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Yeah, that's all true, but still not as brutal as the CC beatings of old. No one else has noticed this?

The moment he won the Pride OWGP and coulden't fight Fedor he had a mental laps and doesn't seem to care. He looked like he used to in the first round against Kongo. I guess we'll find out on Saturday.
mkiv9secsupra
3/13/08 5:57:47PM
If there's one person you should listen to about Mirko Filipovic, it's Cmill. He could tell me CC was born a woman and I would believe it.......Point being: Don't argue with Cmill about CC (or Richie about Ken Shamrock) because he knows best (from a fans POV).

BTW: Pissing a professional fighter off doenst do much of anything to them. They may be a little more aggressive, but the arent going to change gameplans or throw anything about their game off, so that point you made is basically wrong.
cspecial
3/13/08 7:29:33PM
i agree with you guys on CC. I mean since the ufc bought out all those contracts things have looked dim for Pride fighters anyway. I mean come on, the only fighter that came from Pride and actually did anything so far (and i mean fought like they used to in pride) is rampage. think about it... for years true MMA fans have beeen saying that Pride had better fighters, dana heard that shit... he hears everything b/c he's dana ******* white. so what's he do? buys all the fighters and shit and not one of em really does anything. CC didn't look like he wanted to have anything to do with fighting when he got in the ufc. i think he threw 9 punch's total. then look at wand.... he fights chuck and he wasn't aggresive or anything like he usually is. and i don't want people being like "well he was cautious b/c he didn't wanna get knocked out". f you if you think that, he's an aggresive monster. i just don't get it.

Rampage won and i think that's b/c he's an american that's HIGHLY marketable to the ufc. maybe more then chuck is... plus chucks getting old and it was time for someone new to be the brute rockstar. seems fishy to me.