CroCop still looks lost

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » CroCop still looks lost
warglory
3/15/08 4:27:49PM
I don't know why people are saying that CroCop is back. He pounded on a guy for 56 seconds that had no business being in the same ring as him, and I think he realized that after he won. He could have cared less about beating Mizuno because it had little to no impact on his reputation with hardcore fans. CroCop wants to fight in the UFC, but he wants to be successful there. He knows that if he fights anywhere else its going to be second rate, and I could totally see that in his eyes during his fight. His heart wasn't in this fight at all. I am actually surprised that Mizuno lasted as long as he did with the way he was fighting.

Obviously I am not faulting CroCop for his attitude. The man went from being a phenom (with a healthy dose of arrogance that no one can deny) in Japan and having the opportunity for riches and championships in the USA, to being utterly embarrassed and disheartened. For all CroCop fans, this has been a heartbreaking scenario, and today cemented that either CroCop needs to retire, or he needs to take on another quality opponent in DREAM and beat him convincingly in order for him to get back to his predatorial ways. The chip has been removed from his shoulder, but his lack of morale is not what anyone wants to see. Here's to hoping for a comeback that CroCop deserves.
ohiostate1016
3/15/08 4:30:21PM
I think that they need to give him a fight that he can get excited about. That's why I was hoping that he would stay in the UFC and possibly fight Brock Lesnar. Maybe if Cro Cop smashes a few cans over in Japan and Brock beats Coleman we will be able to see this fight some time near the end of the year.
Rush
3/15/08 4:33:56PM
Yup, that was the only fight I watched from Dream today and noticed that he didn't look too thrilled about the win.
warglory
3/15/08 4:34:22PM
I don't know man, after the Mizuno fight, CroCop looked like he just wanted to go home. He needs someone that can attract fans, and gets him excited to fight at the same time. He needs to find his motivation to want to compete.
ohiostate1016
3/15/08 4:36:41PM
I agree. I know that Cro Cop isn't in the state of mind right now to compete at a UFC level, so maybe beating up on some cans will help his confidence and we can see the real Cro Cop back soon.
Rush
3/15/08 4:41:28PM

Posted by warglory

I don't know man, after the Mizuno fight, CroCop looked like he just wanted to go home. He needs someone that can attract fans, and gets him excited to fight at the same time. He needs to find his motivation to want to compete.

Yup, if you don't have the motivation to compete, it doesn't matter if you win and feels worse if you lose. I know because I am going through a motivation problem right now and it's depressing the hell out of me.

I played hockey today and scored about 9 or 10 of the15 or so goals my team scored (from more than one game). I just didn't care because my head wasn't in the game. I think Cro Cop might be in a similar situation with his MMA career and I feel for him.
cmill21
3/15/08 4:56:09PM
I disagree to me he looked the exact same as always, I mean when have you ever seen Cro Cop smile after a win? I haven't seen him act any different since the Bob Sapp fight. He used his hands well, kicks looked good, and he looked like his confidence grew in the middle of the fight. I expect him to do very well in the future. He looks so at home in the ring.
spikerman19
3/15/08 5:23:49PM
he also seemed a little flabby.
BlazinSaddle
3/15/08 5:26:23PM
hes probably still upset about losing 2 in a row, perhaps he is closing out his career soon but i think it was the motivation not loss of skills, once they give him a big opponent like might mo or jerome, or even a fedor 2 fight he'll be hungry, he actually looked good in this fight i dont see what yall are bitchin at cro cop is always stolid
juanez13
3/15/08 5:33:58PM

Posted by spikerman19

he also seemed a little flabby.

yea, i was expecting a bit better build, especially after he mentioned that he would be puttin on more weight, and was doing alot of weights, in the past he has looked muched better, he also didnt seem very agressive, he wasnt putting combinations together, or countering the punches....you can tell when he is his best he always counters, and puts some combos together, ala W.silva-coleman-barnett.......

but i'm expecting alot more of mirko in his next showing, especially since it will probably be a better opponent, possibly a k-1 stiker, or an Stablished fighter, my guess would be between Sergei and sefo....sefo said he would love to fight mirko if he had a bit more time to prepare (although i'd pick sefo to win, he is agressive, and if mirko isnt agressive as he once was he will be in trouble, he needs to start countering punches,but it just seems he doest want to risk the chance of being KO'd)...............and sergei just seems like a good choice, he is no slouch on the feet, he's got some crisp boxing..........both i would like to see.
Mastodon2
3/15/08 6:53:31PM
Cro Cop vs Sergei sounds like a good fight. I wouldn't want to see Cro Cop fight Sefo atm though, Sefo is too much for him, too aggressive and too tough.

I agree that Cro Cop didn't look to thrilled, but how could he be, it's not like he was fighting anyone that could really test him. At the same time, it is true to say that Cro Cop never really looks excited after a win, even when he was in his prime.
juanez13
3/15/08 7:02:10PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Cro Cop vs Sergei sounds like a good fight. I wouldn't want to see Cro Cop fight Sefo atm though, Sefo is too much for him, too aggressive and too tough.

I agree that Cro Cop didn't look to thrilled, but how could he be, it's not like he was fighting anyone that could really test him. At the same time, it is true to say that Cro Cop never really looks excited after a win, even when he was in his prime.

he was pretty excited when he beat sapp
Twenty20Dollars
3/15/08 7:06:57PM
i mean he never really looks excited, just kinda has that same way of himself.
wolfman
3/15/08 7:14:13PM
I think it is still to soon to say he is not the same Cro Cop or he looks lost. I can see both sides of the argument though. Unfortunately, for us, only CC knows if he is really back or not. I definitely agree with cmill21 that CC looks more comfortable in the ring, I just don't know if he is really back yet. I think we all can agree that he definitely lost some of his confidence after his two losses in the UFC. So, I think we will have a better gauge of his confidence once he fights someone who is more qualified and he gets some more wins under his belt again.
warglory
3/15/08 7:31:08PM

Posted by cmill21

I disagree to me he looked the exact same as always, I mean when have you ever seen Cro Cop smile after a win? I haven't seen him act any different since the Bob Sapp fight. He used his hands well, kicks looked good, and he looked like his confidence grew in the middle of the fight. I expect him to do very well in the future. He looks so at home in the ring.

He may not smile, but after virtually every win in PRIDE, he seemed energized. You could tell in his demeanor that he was proud of his win. In this match, he didn't even look like he wanted to be there.
mkiv9secsupra
3/15/08 9:20:36PM
IMO its not a safe assumption to base his motivation off of his reaction after the fight and not his actions in the ring. Beating Bob Sapp and beating a guy you knew you would KTFO is completely different. I wouldnt be too thrilled to beat a guy who had no business being in the ring with me.
gravy13
3/15/08 9:35:57PM
I don't think he seemed lost or disappointed after the fight. He just looked normal to me, not too excited and not disappointed, IMO. If he is unmotivated, maybe he needs to hand a few cans their asses to spark some motivation. After all, a win is a win to a certain degree, of course. Even though this fight was with a no name opponent and it only lasted like a minute, I think he looked pretty solid. I do have to agree that he looked thicker. I think this fight might have been the biggest I have ever seen him.
cmill21
3/15/08 9:50:43PM
Mirko is scheduled to have surgery on his elbow. He's had problems with it for a few months but didn't want to wait to fight so he opted to have it after.
RMFG_187
3/15/08 11:08:09PM
If you look at Cro Cop's face after the fight, when his trainer is embracing him, he looks like a RAGING BULL! Didnt think he had the best fight, was a bit on the defensive, and hesitated on a couple of the kicks, but so what. He is coming off the 2 biggest losses of his Career, and only one thing came to mind when i saw the look on his face.

CRO COP'S BACK!
Gladiator
3/16/08 12:02:32AM
I thought cro cops performance was awesome, looked like the old cro cop again! u can say what u want about the quality of his opponent but i personally doubt it would have mattered much if it had been almost anyone else, mirko came with fire and its great to see him get a win like that. I also thought the new shorts were nice touch
John_Jobber
3/16/08 9:46:39PM
I agree, I thought CC looked to be in great shape and maybe even a little bigger than before.

As far as his tentativeness, it's to be expected after what he's gone through in the public eye the last couple years. Think about it, this guy has been abused latelyby both his opponents and his fans.

I'll always be a CroCop fan, but then again I'll always be a Nick Diaz fan too.
mkiv9secsupra
3/16/08 10:26:06PM

Posted by John_Jobber
this guy has been abused latelyby both his opponents and his fans.

im glad someone said it. The guy loses two fights and half his fan base turns around and starts saying he is too old and he isnt top 5 anymore.....
warglory
3/16/08 10:44:16PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by John_Jobber
this guy has been abused latelyby both his opponents and his fans.

im glad someone said it. The guy loses two fights and half his fan base turns around and starts saying he is too old and he isnt top 5 anymore.....

Anyone who loses two in a row is not top 5. I can say that as a big fan of CroCop too.
Pookie
3/16/08 11:35:01PM

Posted by warglory
...Anyone who loses two in a row is not top 5...

Dan henderson... cough cough
cmill21
3/17/08 12:44:14AM

Looks perfectly happy when walking out after his win. He loves Japan, I don't know if that will be a big difference but I know the ring will be.
NatedawgThaM
3/17/08 1:53:14AM

Posted by warglory

Anyone who loses two in a row is not top 5. I can say that as a big fan of CroCop too.

Wow, you should edit/delete that because it makes you look hypocritical.

Chuck Liddell(Rampage/Jardine), you have on your P4P LIST!!! Dan Henderson(Rampage/Anderson) you also have on your P4P list!!!!
warglory
3/17/08 6:55:43PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by warglory

Wow, you should edit/delete that because it makes you look hypocritical.

Chuck Liddell(Rampage/Jardine), you have on your P4P LIST!!! Dan Henderson(Rampage/Anderson) you also have on your P4P list!!!!

I haven't updated my lists in awhile (definitely not since Dan's last match). I had Chuck off my p4p list until he beat Wandy, and I put him back on. Plus, Dan lost two matches in two different weight divisions, so that messes shit up. If Dan loses another match in either division, he won't be top 5 anymore in that division.