Cro Cop shattered his ankle?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Cro Cop shattered his ankle?
cmill21
2/10/08 11:50:11PM
Link

I had never heard this. I knew he hurt his ankle when he hit Wand but how the hell did he beat Barney with a "shattered" ankle?
Mastodon2
2/11/08 2:20:15AM
Some very interesting journalism thats for sure. I'd never heard anything about that, and he doesn't provide a source. Sounds like BS for sure. He wouldnt have been able to walk, let alone fight Barnett, and trued "Shattering" of joints, where the bones disintegrate into fragments, can destroy your mobility for life, and would have probably ended his career for sure.
cloppio
2/11/08 2:49:47AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Some very interesting journalism thats for sure. I'd never heard anything about that, and he doesn't provide a source. Sounds like BS for sure. He wouldnt have been able to walk, let alone fight Barnett, and trued "Shattering" of joints, where the bones disintegrate into fragments, can destroy your mobility for life, and would have probably ended his career for sure.

totally true. a shattered bone...let alone a bone/joint injury is no joke. you don't fight after that. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say i doubt a human even has the power to "shatter" a bone. break.. no doubt. but shatter? i just don't see it. sounds fake to me jmo. could be wrong
Svartorm
2/11/08 3:29:46AM
I fought NHB with a broken foot this summer and I was in so much pain after the fight, I was puking. Granted, Cro-cop is probably a hell of a lot tougher than I am, but no way in hell he fights with a shattered anything.
Manfred
2/11/08 4:00:07AM
I remember this. He earned another shot at Fedor with the win in the OWGP. However, he had to have foot surgery. (as it was reported at the time)

I remember he said he could fight by NYE but he wouldn't be 100% and he refused the fight with Fedor for that reason.

Of course, he ended up leaving PRIDE anyways, but I remember that's why he turned down the Fedor fight immediately after the OWGP. They offered it to Barney but he said basically the same thing since he'd fought like 5 or 6 times that year and wouldn't be 100%.
Jackelope
2/11/08 5:05:32AM

Posted by cloppio

Posted by Mastodon2

totally true. a shattered bone...let alone a bone/joint injury is no joke. you don't fight after that. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say i doubt a human even has the power to "shatter" a bone. break.. no doubt. but shatter? i just don't see it. sounds fake to me jmo. could be wrong

Humans have the power to shatter bones no problem, especially if they have the leg strength of Mirko Filopovic. Definitely the small metatarsal and the tarsal bones. As for being able to operate with shattered tarsals- no way. Metatarsals? With heavy wrapping, a lot of pain killers, and sheer determination its possible. I broke a metatarsal once and continued to workout for that day and the next one, but by the 3rd day my foot was in so much pain that I literally couldn't even walk on it. As was already mentioned, I'm sure Mirko is a hell of a lot tougher than me or anyone else on this site.

Then again, the "ankle" is one of the most bone-laden joints in the body. If he shattered his medial malleolous (the pointy bone structure sticking out on the inside of your ankle) it may be possible. That's an injury I've never seen or heard of.

Either way, taken in general context of the writing I doubt this guy is the most informed gentleman on the face of the earth.
CactusBob
2/11/08 8:42:14AM
"Shattered" ankle could mean many things. Several fractures might lead someone to say shattered, which is not as bad as a true comminuted fracture.
loonytnt
2/11/08 3:05:17PM
idk about that one
Rush
2/11/08 3:16:48PM
Why doesn't someone send the author of the article a message asking his source for the shattered foot comment?

Contact Dave