Over/Under for Cro Cop vs. Kongo

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Over/Under for Cro Cop vs. Kongo
JWils
8/15/07 5:23:50PM
I can't wait for this one.... two of the best strikers in the heavyweight division, if not in all of MMA....

Let's set the over/under for the time of this fight for 2 minutes.. What do you think? Shorter than two mintues or longer?

I've got the under. Someone's going to sleep in this one.... quick.
TOMMYAYO05
8/15/07 5:34:33PM
Over two minutes
juanez13
8/15/07 5:36:52PM
over 2 mins, they are gonna circle around for about 1 min, like usually happens, than start trading, by the time the are fully throwin the 1st round will end, 2nd round starts, and cro cop wins by KO, sometime in that round...
cmill21
8/15/07 6:04:37PM
over two, under 2 rounds. Mirko ko's kongo in round one.
Mastodon2
8/15/07 7:15:08PM
It will take over 2 minutes. Cro Cop will be sizing Congo up, watching his stance and his body language. He will wait for the perfect moment to start sniping Kongo. Kongo will try and clinch (as its his strongest position), but Mirko will show that he aint no fool (Cro cop vs Aerts in K-1 years ago showed that Cro Cop CAN fight from the clinch) and will trade knees with Kongo, then explode out of the clinch, hit him with a left straight, then a LHK.

I dont think Mirko will even try to take him down, though it would be a good idea, since Kongo is terrible on the ground. Mirko by brutal comeback KO. What happened to Dos Carras JR will be nothing compared to the shot Kongo is going to take.
Jackelope
8/15/07 7:18:57PM

Posted by Mastodon2

What happened to Dos Carras JR will be nothing compared to the shot Kongo is going to take.

hehehehe I can't wait. I've got some buddies who didn't believe my hype when I was talking up how much of a bad ass Cro Cop is. Then, when Gonzaga dropped his ass of course it made me look like the fool all the more. I can't wait to see the look on the face of those guys when they see a Mirko Cro Cop highlight reel LHK
Twenty20Dollars
8/15/07 7:23:48PM
I see Kongo winning middle of the second round. they will just size each other up in the first round. Kongo works the clinch, drops cro cop and kongo wins tko.
peachfuzzz1305
8/15/07 7:27:48PM
I think it will be over 2 minutes but i think the TKO will occur in the 1ST Round

Mirko will Kcock Out Kongo
Mastodon2
8/15/07 7:28:52PM
What I dont get though, is how everyone suddenly talks about Cro Cop like he isnt a massive force in MMA anymore. One loss, and it can happen to anyone, and suddenly Cro Cop is gonna get KO'd by Kongo? There are a lot of fairweather fans in MMA, thats for sure, if Fedor ever loses he'll probably be able to count his remaining fans on his fingers!

Kongo could win this fight, but imo it would be an even bigger upset than GG KO'ing Cro Cop. CC got KO'd cause he wasnt expecting it, he knows that Kongo will be lookig for it, so he will defend himself accordingly. However, since he is coming off a loss, and so many casual fans have deserted him, if Kongo won I suspect a lot of people would'nt be surprised, but anyone that really analysed both fighters, and didnt think Cro Cop had suddenly become a human punch bag would be shocked.
Jackelope
8/15/07 7:45:11PM

Posted by Mastodon2

What I dont get though, is how everyone suddenly talks about Cro Cop like he isnt a massive force in MMA anymore. One loss, and it can happen to anyone, and suddenly Cro Cop is gonna get KO'd by Kongo? There are a lot of fairweather fans in MMA, thats for sure, if Fedor ever loses he'll probably be able to count his remaining fans on his fingers!

Kongo could win this fight, but imo it would be an even bigger upset than GG KO'ing Cro Cop. CC got KO'd cause he wasnt expecting it, he knows that Kongo will be lookig for it, so he will defend himself accordingly. However, since he is coming off a loss, and so many casual fans have deserted him, if Kongo won I suspect a lot of people would'nt be surprised, but anyone that really analysed both fighters, and didnt think Cro Cop had suddenly become a human punch bag would be shocked.

Completely agreed.

And to answer the original question-

It will last longer than 2 minutes. With Cro cop punishing Kongo's midsection until he drops his guard and then bombing with the LHK like has worked so many times before. The only way to stop Cro Cop is with a lucky shot or by taking him to the ground. Call me crazy but I just don't see anybody sitting there banging with those kicks.
cmill21
8/15/07 11:25:05PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Coulden't agree more. Mirko's been known for years as the best striker in mma, now he loses and another striker(who keeps his hands very low) with no ground game, is going to beat him in round two? Mirko's still the most dangerous striker in mma.
johny_rotten
8/16/07 3:59:17AM
Deffinity over 2. Mirko likes to lay low for about 2 mins letting the other guy to get comfortable throwing, and then he starts to strike like a cobra. I am telling you now though, don't be surprised if Mirko takes this to the matt. Both of his last 2 wins came from GNP. The first being over ground wizard Josh Barnett. It is also just smart fighting if he takes Kongo down. Mirko knows he can be KO, and that is the only threat Kongo brings.
cowcatcher
8/16/07 8:09:14AM

Posted by Mastodon2

same could be said for chuck as well, fairweather fans suck, my kid is almost 13 and he knows being fairweather is idiotic, and punishable in my house
Mastodon2
8/16/07 9:28:38AM
I dont think Chuck has quite as many fairweather fans as Cro Cop. The problem with Cro Cop, is while he extremely proficient in one field, his weaknesses are (were?) more noticable, and after he lost by KO (his strong point usually was his striking) people think he has nothing left, and so count him out. Chuck's weak areas are less visible, and less often exposed, so people don't tend to count him out as easily after a loss imo.
cowcatcher
8/16/07 9:46:48AM
the reason i say that fans are like that with chuck as well as CC is there was so much chuck love floating around on this board before he lost and now he seems to have a huge amount of doubters. now there are 2 things i want to say about that.

#1: CC probably hadnt been seen by everyone before, but he had a ton of hype(well deserved IMO) and when he got KO'd a lot of new fans(TUF era) may have thought he wasnt all that great to begin with.

#2: a lot of fans are fairly new, and many thought chuck was invincible(and he was promoted as such), but as they learn more about the sport they see that no one is and have backed off of him as fans. with new fans that will happen, until they find guys that they become "true" fans of based on seeing multiple fights with said guys in them win or lose.

one loss doesnt mean a ton in the grand scheme of things, everyone loses in MMA, but to some fans, or the casual observer 1 loss can make a guy seem like a chump in their eyes, and ive seen a lot of that with chuck as well as CC. ill give you this though, CC didnt have nearly the fan base chuck had in the states, so when people get down on CC he doesnt have nearly the base in place already that love him through and through like chuck has.
JWils
8/16/07 11:35:15AM
It looks like I'm the minority on this one...

Well, in a real bet that would make for some great odds....

Regardless, I will be disappointed if this one doesn't have a highlight reel ending.

I just have a feeling that Cro Cop is going to punish Kongo from the opening bell.

Yeah, Cro Cop got smashed light fight but IMO Gonzaga could be the next great heavyweight. I think he proves it on the 25th. I've got him submitting Couture in round 2. So, maybe that loss to Gonzaga wasn't as big of upset as we all thought.
pv3Hpv3p
8/16/07 11:48:37AM

Posted by cowcatcher

one loss doesnt mean a ton in the grand scheme of things, everyone loses in MMA, but to some fans, or the casual observer 1 loss can make a guy seem like a chump in their eyes, and ive seen a lot of that with chuck as well as CC. ill give you this though, CC didnt have nearly the fan base chuck had in the states, so when people get down on CC he doesnt have nearly the base in place already that love him through and through like chuck has.

Ahhhh, MMA... The "what have you done for me lately" sport... lol

I think all it takes is one HLreelLHK, and the fans will come a runnin... Smart of Joe Silva to set CC up with an aggressive standup guy...
cmill21
8/16/07 1:09:59PM
Ahh the fairwheather fan, you want to see Mirko fans, go visit croatia. He loses the whole country cries, he wins, the whole countries in the streets drinking. He's a national hero.
johny_rotten
8/16/07 2:17:41PM

Posted by cowcatcher

the reason i say that fans are like that with chuck as well as CC is there was so much chuck love floating around on this board before he lost and now he seems to have a huge amount of doubters. now there are 2 things i want to say about that.

#1: CC probably hadnt been seen by everyone before, but he had a ton of hype(well deserved IMO) and when he got KO'd a lot of new fans(TUF era) may have thought he wasnt all that great to begin with.

#2: a lot of fans are fairly new, and many thought chuck was invincible(and he was promoted as such), but as they learn more about the sport they see that no one is and have backed off of him as fans. with new fans that will happen, until they find guys that they become "true" fans of based on seeing multiple fights with said guys in them win or lose.

Great post. A lot of MMA fans are the guys that used to or follow boxing. They lose once in boxing, and it puts them back 3 years. That doesn't transfer to MMA due to how many ways you can lose a fight. If you haven't been following MMA for a while it is hard to understand the margin of error. MMA is unlike any other sport in this aspect. One tiny mistake in MMA means a loss. Since no one in the world is perfect it is understood by long time MMA fans that even the best fighter will go through a loss or two.
The_Grim_Reaper
8/16/07 3:13:18PM
over, they'll spend a min or so sizing each other up, feeling each othes presence mirko will come forward and kongo will try to clinch him and keep him in the clinch mirko will try to power out it and kongo will hit him with a dangerous combination that might put mirko down but if not kongo will clinch with him untill he goes down right after by a couple knees, i see this fight going two ways, the one i just described or mirko powering out of the clinch with an unexpected LHK, but truth be told i think mirko is one of the true forces to be reckoned with in mma, but i realy and truly beileve kongo can pull off the upset
gamez0932
8/16/07 3:27:23PM
over 2 min.