Cro Cop V Kongo

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Cro Cop V Kongo
« Previous Page | Next Page »
thepunisher
6/15/07 2:41:57PM
Mirko is pissed and wants to prove the last time was a bad night. Kongo is going to be laying in a pool of his own blood at the end of the night
shackle
6/15/07 2:42:14PM
I hate to say it, but I agree. I love cro cop just as much as everyone else, but I feel kongo has very nice stand up. He also uses knees alot better then cro cop.

I think we are going to see a upset here. To me though the fight is a heck of alot closer then people think. I'm not so sure Cro cop's stand up is better.... thats yet to be proven, but we will find out soon.

I don't want a French guy to win though lol.

Posted by KYGUY07

Cro Cop hasnt been the same since coming to the ufc, and kongo is a good standup fighter, i think it will stay on the feet and kongo will k.o. cro cop.

LightsOut33093
6/15/07 5:11:31PM
cro cop 1st round ko
cmill21
6/15/07 7:03:41PM
LOL i don't get it. The BEST striker in mma is Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipovic, he just won the OWGP, lost once to a man he should have beat....now he's no good? Not seeing the rational here guys. Seriously I could see if he was fighting hoost, but kongo and Mirko should not be put on the same platform for striking. Sorry but i'll take the powerful kicks of Mirko disabling kongo's skinny legs before he tosses knees, which he'll have to find away to get past the legs kicks to throw. None of this makes any sense lol.
iwin
6/15/07 7:41:01PM
cro cop with a 2nd or 3rd round ko
mkiv9secsupra
6/16/07 4:21:58AM

Posted by cmill21

LOL i don't get it. The BEST striker in mma is Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipovic, he just won the OWGP, lost once to a man he should have beat....now he's no good? Not seeing the rational here guys. Seriously I could see if he was fighting hoost, but kongo and Mirko should not be put on the same platform for striking. Sorry but i'll take the powerful kicks of Mirko disabling kongo's skinny legs before he tosses knees, which he'll have to find away to get past the legs kicks to throw. None of this makes any sense lol.

Mirko may not be the BEST. He hasnt fought the best strikers in the game yet. Hes definitely fast and has powerful kicks. But to say that NO other strikers can beat him is just plain dumb. Mirko is a badass striker and he definitely can KO Kongo but Kongo has just the tools to KO mirko just as well... It all depends on Mirkos head game for this fight. If he comes in like he did against GG, completely out of the fight, the Kongo can KO him easily. But if he comes out with his mind in the game and ultra aggressive then he will probly get the KO.
cmill21
6/16/07 12:20:33PM
I didn't say anything about strikers not being able to beat him. I've seen kongo fight, he's not on the same level as Mirko. I know kongo can win, anyone can win. I just don't get eveyone saying kongo has all the tools to beat him? First off the ideal person to beat Mirko is a BJJ guy, or someone who's got sick takedowns and a great GnP. Mirko comes back strong from his losses, he needed to get ko'd to show him that he's not going to walk through the HW div and he needs to prepare and focus for every fight. Cro Cop will be back just like his old self.
vcr88
6/16/07 1:21:49PM
Ye there is no way anyone could compare Kongo to Cro Cop. Cro Cop i think outdoes him in everything except maybe on the ground and even there the last fight Kongo proved how badly he did there if he wasnt so tall i think that fight would have ended a lot different then what it did. and another thing Kongo hasnt fought some of the people that Cro Cop has fought against and actually put a fight against. So i say until Kongo fights people like Fedor he is nothing compared to Cro Cop. But alas this is MMA so anyone can win if they focus on it so im not totally counting Kongo out but i do think that Cro Cop will win it in the first round with KO.
Kastro
6/16/07 5:21:20PM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by cmill21

LOL yeah, everyone be honest when have you seen Mirko throw a kick that lackluster(the one he caught)? He wasn't there mentally. Now he's pissed. I agree DjDark, kongo will rush him, the best of it is I do recall another giant black man doing that(a bigger man) I don't remember how it ended but...

You mean Randleman? hmmm if I remember correctly he knocked Mirko out with a left hook...

The left hook did not knock out Mirko, it put him down. The hammer fists on the ground was what knocked out Mirko.

Anyways, I see this as being a good fight. Kongo is strong, but all the muscle mass he has slows him down, in his last fight he didn't impress me too much and he seemed to die down towards the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Mirko on the other hand is much faster, he has great footwork, and since Mirko wont have to worry about defending the takedown he can focus strictly on letting his punches and kicks go.

This one has KO written all over it, Mirko baby!
Believe-in-judo81
6/16/07 7:52:53PM
Kongo Has an AMAZING MT clinch and legitimate boxing skills with his hands. Add in a size and reach advantage and you could say things may look bad for Mirko. But he will pull through and here's why, pure speed and footwork. Look for crocop to outwork Cheick Kongo and set up angle for some vicous counter lefts and nasty kicks. I'm Calling Mirko by brutal first round kick KO (head, body, doesn't matter) or a wonderfully executed Punch combo early in the second for the TKO.
kerazzle
6/16/07 10:30:12PM
CC via ground and pound stoppage.
C-MurdA
6/16/07 10:57:09PM
CC is winning this fight in the 1st
DangerousDjohn
6/16/07 11:17:39PM
Kongo has this. He is one of my favorite fighters because of his first two fights. Cro Cop is clearly the better fighter, but I think Kongo will win.
phvcx_1337
6/17/07 6:46:26AM
I'm going to have to give this one to Cro-Cop, but I think a second round KO/TKO. Kongo will most likely land some good shots and make good decisions on when to advance and when to run, but going into the second round he will have a false sense of security that he has Cro-Cop figured out and will go in wide open and get caught making a stupid mistake.
putnwork4
6/18/07 11:50:24AM
Kongo by ko/tko R1.
pv3Hpv3p
6/18/07 12:02:59PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Mirko may not be the BEST. He hasnt fought the best strikers in the game yet. Hes definitely fast and has powerful kicks...

CC fought in K-1 for years, I don't know how you can say that he hasn't fought the best strikers around? And I know K-1 is not MMA, but the striking aspect translates more closely than standard boxing, and I don't think Kongo is going for a TD...

... It all depends on Mirkos head game for this fight. If he comes in like he did against GG, completely out of the fight, the Kongo can KO him easily. But if he comes out with his mind in the game and ultra aggressive then he will probly get the KO.

When Randleman beat CC, Mirko came back with a vengance, KOing Aleks & Coleman... Beating Barnett twice... And winning the OWGP by KOing Wandy...

If Mirko hasn't been fighting with his usual fire, then IMO his loss to Napao will be all the motivation that he needs to come back strong
nubby
6/18/07 12:07:23PM
I think if Filipovic is already talking about retiring he is mentally already lost. I am looking for the upset here.
Kastro
6/18/07 4:21:49PM

Posted by nubby

I think if Filipovic is already talking about retiring he is mentally already lost. I am looking for the upset here.

Couture retired then came back and beat Sylvia..
nubby
6/18/07 4:27:56PM
Right but he lost before he lost twice before he retired. That's the point I'm making. Filipovic might be in that mental state where he just cant fight, as was the case for Couture.
Stickan
6/18/07 4:38:08PM

Posted by nubby

I like your point. I'll probably pick Mirko put I will definately place some bucks on Kongo just in case.
Kastro
6/18/07 6:45:43PM
I think Mirko is making plans to retire because he wants to do other things in life besides fight, he has done it for a long time and he has been established as one of the best fighters, why keep fighting?

A lot of wear and tear comes with MMA, if I was fighting as long as Mirko I would retire too, just my opinion.
cmill21
6/18/07 7:17:14PM
You have to realize this isn't your typical fighter. He's a VERY smart man. If he wanted to retire right now he would. He fights for pride, he wants to be the best, but as we know he loses focus and is overconfident at time. I think he wants to fight, and if he really means what he says and he truly wants to be the champion then he will win this fight. We'll find out on September 8th.
vcr88
6/18/07 11:32:51PM
Ye well once again the lack of knowledge that you guys are showing amazes me. Cro Cop still has 4 more fights in the UFC in his contract.
Believe-in-judo81
6/19/07 12:07:45AM
Retirement talk is nothing new from Mirko, and should in no way play into his mental state. If he loses it will be because Kongo executed a game plan well and used his strengths to nullify Mirko's offense and take the fight. Well, that or he'll just catch him.

There you have have have it, simple as pie, sorry to sound rude but saying Mirko is mentally lost because he's talking retirement is absurd.
Fanboy 1988
6/19/07 12:16:32AM
I think Crocops gonna take this. But it wouldn't suprise me if he got KTFO again
warglory
6/19/07 1:36:32AM
Every fighter loses, so to speculate that Mirko's head isn't in the game is preposterous. CroCop is as effective as he has ever been and will show the UFC fans that Eddie Sanchez was not a fluke. Kongo is a good match for CroCop as he doesn't have the necessary ground skills to take Mirko down and eliminate him that way. Kongo is going to stand and attempt to land shots, however, I don't think he is going to have the confidence to stick with CroCop, which is the best kind of opponent for Mirko.

I am saying Mirko 1st round KO.
State_Champ
6/19/07 8:53:54AM
I don't think Cro Cop will win....not after his last lackluster fighting display. Kongo seems to have decent stand-up and i think better grappling skills than Cro Cop.
I pick Kongo!
cmill21
6/19/07 9:30:58AM
You clearly haven't seen Mirko's first fight against randleman, and then what he did after that did you.....I didn't know one bad fight meant that your whole career from then on would be people walking through you...
The_Iceman
6/19/07 9:46:20AM
Mirko wasn't focussed against Gonzaga and didn't train in an Octagon.

Now he's hongry again and trained in an Octagon
Kongo isn't championship material, Cro Cop is!!!!

Winner: Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipovic
1e round (T)KO
fatdevil1982
6/19/07 9:55:15AM
mirko did do an interview and said NO he did not have the will to fight when he faught gonzaga, and also didnt when he faught sanchez. but he said he is trying to re-focus and that adding the cage to his gym and elbows in training should help him to not only refocus but better adjust to the UFC

Im pretty sure still having fights on his contract doesnt mean anything, someone can retire whenever. im pretty sure when randy retired he still had 2 fights left

and as far as whomever stated mirko has yet to fight the best strikers
its yes and no

he has faught awesome kickboxers in K-1, but mma striking is different (much more loopy and spaced out)
but yes i do believe his striking is tops as far as mma goes right now in the HW division
Pages: 1 [2] 3