CRO COP to fight KHARITONOV in JUNE

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » CRO COP to fight KHARITONOV in JUNE
BlazinSaddle
3/18/08 3:16:38AM
The article is in Croatian, I will summerize it. Article states that Cro Cop was supposed to fight Sergei at Dream 1 but he declined the fight stating that would be too tough of a match for him after a six month break. Now they moved the fight to Dream 4 which will take place in mid-june and it will apparantly be made official in about a month possibly on April 29th which is Dream 2. That is when Dream is supposed to announce the fight. In one of Mirko's quotes he said " I am not approaching these fights in Dream as practice for UFC comeback instead I am treating every fight seriously."

Link
ncordless
3/18/08 3:19:58AM
Well I can't read Croatian but I hope you are right, my friend.
tomp6581
3/18/08 5:20:31AM
That is a good match up. Kharitonov is tough.
Pookie
3/18/08 5:51:31AM
Cmill51 is going to shit his pants in joy when he reads this
CornishMMA
3/18/08 6:58:02AM
PRIDE REBORN

But are they seriously going to have 2 more shows before June????? Hope they dont put on too many weak cards, id prefer them to be more sporadic but of a higher quality tbh
whardin19
3/18/08 7:10:22AM
This would be a good fight. Wouldn't mind seeing it.
Mattchupichu
3/18/08 9:16:28AM
This is a goo legitimate chance to see where cro cop really is. If he can dominate like he did back in the old day's then he should fight Fedor again.
cmill21
3/18/08 9:30:03AM
YESSSSSS.....I heard he and Lebanner was pretty much signed, but this is a better fight for him IMO. I personally think Kharirtonov is a great fighter, and this is a dream match up for me
Aaronno9
3/18/08 9:36:50AM
Nice to see there giving mirko a solid fight rather than giving him bums. Also good to see dream are planning on putting out alot of cards, i just hope they can match the first one, or at least be almost as good. As far as the fight goes ill take mirko by a 1st round k.o. But it really could go either way.
cmill21
3/18/08 9:38:17AM
Damn, it's not quite official yet, but it is being talked about, along with Lebanner and Filho. I hope it's Sergei.
ohiostate1016
3/18/08 10:10:07AM

Posted by CornishMMA

PRIDE REBORN

But are they seriously going to have 2 more shows before June????? Hope they dont put on too many weak cards, id prefer them to be more sporadic but of a higher quality tbh

According to MMAWeekly.com,

-Dream 2 is on April 29 (MW Tourney debut)
-Dream 3 is on May 3
-Dream 4 is on June 15 (Cro Cop vs. Kharitonov)
-Dream 5 is on July 21

And by the way, I'm excited that they are giving Cro Cop this fight. Kharitonov is at least a top 20 HW, and he's probably top 15 (I had him in my top ten not too long ago). I'm not really worried about Cro Cop losing this one, but I'm excited that will will at least get to see him tested by a big league fighter.
babytater03
3/18/08 10:31:11AM

Posted by Pookie

Cmill51 is going to shit his pants in joy when he reads this

wolfman
3/18/08 11:24:59AM
Awesome fight, if it does happen.
Ordep
3/18/08 12:38:51PM
NICE!!!!!
I really wanted this fight to happen,hopefully it will, I'll be such a happy person that I would have another excuse to drink and celebrate!
nickcuc547
3/18/08 2:37:04PM
now we will really see if cro cop still has it, kharitonov is a tough tough guy.
jiujitsufreak74
3/18/08 2:37:58PM
THIS IS AWESOME!!!

i wouldn't say CC wins this one just yet. this fight is very interesting and is by know means a walk in the park. imo, Kharitonov is close to the top 10 in the HW division with wins over Werdum, Rizzo and most recently Overeem. he did lose to Aleks E and has shown susceptibility in his striking but overall he is a great fighter. he can win any way and i can't wait to see how CC does against him. imo he is better then both GG and Kongo so if CC does well here it will be very reassuring that he is back. this is a great test for him and hopefully he will see his hand raised. So far Dream has been very good at putting together great fights and with this one as an addition i am really liking it.
jae_1833
3/18/08 3:02:49PM

This is a perfect match up for both of them right now....Kharitonov gets to prove how well he has improved and CC gets to prove that he's still a dominant and top 10 HW!!!! Good match!!!!!
NatedawgThaM
3/18/08 3:28:12PM
SWEET!!! Hopefully Cro Cop can prove he didn't win that fight because the dude was a can, but that he really is back!

Hoping for a 1st round quick or dominant KO so we can see the Fedor-Cro Cop 2 DREAM fight for the end of the year!!!!
BlazinSaddle
3/18/08 3:46:43PM
in sergei's last fight he looked like hes slowed down a bit, and he hasnt fought in a long time IMO he shouldnt be taking Cro Cop as his "ring rust" fight as Cro Cop didnt take him as his

Cro Cop by KO or UD
coldchillin
3/18/08 4:29:28PM
It sucks this has to be Sergei's comeback fight while Cro Cop got to fight a can first to prepare for him. If the same Cro Cop who lost to Gonzaga and Kongo shows up, I think Kharitonov can get his name back in the heavyweight mix quite easily. I don't think that Cro Cop will show up but he's already doubting himself a little bit and I think Sergei is more than capable of beating Mirko. I hope Sergei finds a way to win so Dream can set up a fight between him and Fedor. Can't wait to see this one go down.
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/18/08 6:04:30PM

Posted by cmill21

YESSSSSS.....I heard he and Lebanner was pretty much signed, but this is a better fight for him IMO. I personally think Kharirtonov is a great fighter, and this is a dream match up for me

ive been hoping for this fight for a long time, as well. i am ******* STOKED!
RMFG_187
3/18/08 6:46:02PM
Sergei by round 1 Sub.

this is a bad matchup for Mirko
cmill21
3/18/08 9:41:47PM

Posted by RMFG_187

Sergei by round 1 Sub.

this is a bad matchup for Mirko

I was thinking the same thing, with a few details changed
loller90278
3/19/08 4:22:37PM
this fight could either be really good, or really bad.

i want to see the killer kharitonov back who seemed unstoppable and had the best boxing in MMA versus the killing mindset of crocop who was the most feared striker in MMA.

hopefully it wont be the sluggish kharitonov we've seen as of late vs the unmotivated, tentative CC.

with that being said, i'm taking CC by KO.