Cro Cop: 'This does not mean goodbye to Pride'...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Cro Cop: 'This does not mean goodbye to Pride'...
aidentate
1/24/07 3:27:43PM
Translated excerpt from the Gong Interview:

Cro Cop: I don’t think my UFC contract means I have to say goodbye to Pride forever.

GONG: Really? Why? We heard that you have been contracted to the UFC for six matches over two years.

Cro Cop: Yes and No, I do have a contract with Zuffa for six matches but they don’t have to be over two years.

GONG: Oh I see, so if you fought very regularly with short gaps between fights, you think you can fight six times in a year?

Cro Cop: This is how I see it, I will become Champion after three matches. I will need two and a half or three months off between each match. I expect to hold the UFC belt by the Summer. Then I want Pride Champion Fedor Emelianenko, Vs Me the UFC Heavyweight Champion on New Years Eve.
dcox86
1/24/07 6:05:33PM
would be awesome but i dont think its gonna happen, too much risk in it for UFC. IF he loses it looks like they wasted money, and gives Pride exposure. IF he wins cool but most say Pride is dying anyway. But it all could be different by the time that fight comes around.
Spiderman
1/24/07 6:14:54PM

Posted by dcox86

would be awesome but i dont think its gonna happen, too much risk in it for UFC. IF he loses it looks like they wasted money, and gives Pride exposure. IF he wins cool but most say Pride is dying anyway. But it all could be different by the time that fight comes around.

I think you misread the interview ? I think he is saying he will have finished his contract with the ufc [ all 6 fights ] and will no longer be contracted to them , so he will be free to fight in japan [ probably for a single fight deal like he used to do ]
DoTheMMAth
1/24/07 6:32:14PM
I for one hope to see CC back in Pride some day. If Fedor manages to hang on to the belt (which is another topic all to itself) for the next two years I'd love to see CC vs Fedor 2 for the title, CC vs Nog 2 for some revenge, and CC vs Mark Hunt (who has improved to top 5 HW IMO) for some revenge as well. So much work for CC to do lol
hippysmacker
1/24/07 6:35:44PM
I see it as him saying UFC champ vs Pride champ. Not him leaving the UFC with the belt ,and going back to Pride. I agree that the UFC probably wouldn't do it unless Pride becomes a major US competitior.
dcox86
1/24/07 6:37:09PM

Posted by Spiderman

Posted by dcox86

I think you misread the interview ? I think he is saying he will have finished his contract with the ufc [ all 6 fights ] and will no longer be contracted to them , so he will be free to fight in japan [ probably for a single fight deal like he used to do ]

then he wouldnt the UFC champ, so he makes no sense. He wouldnt bsthe UFC champ if he isnt under contract
punisherind
1/24/07 7:39:16PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I see it as him saying UFC champ vs Pride champ. Not him leaving the UFC with the belt ,and going back to Pride. I agree that the UFC probably wouldn't do it unless Pride becomes a major US competitior.

i disagree. i think he's saying he will fight in pride. i guess its a question of interpretation, but since cc started the interview (or at least that quote) saying he may fight in pride again, i think he was elaborating on that statement, i.e., he would like to win the ufc belt after 3 fights, defend the belt 3 times, and then fight fedor as a pride fighter on new years eve.

as far as the other comment re: it doesnt make sense to say the "ufc champion vs pride champion" if he meant he would be fighting as a pride fighter, thats not necessarily correct either. its a pride thing (no pun intended). he may not technically be the ufc champ at that point in time, but if he leaves the organization without being defeated, in some peoples minds he would still be the "true" ufc champion. for example, when bj penn left ufc as the ww champion, he still considered himself the real ufc ww champ. even when he returned to the ufc, he always wore "the champ is here" shirts... and then he got beat by gsp and hughes.
loller90278
1/24/07 8:55:27PM
i think pride and ufc are working together so it can be champion vs champion.

that'd be rad
and then i'll go back to my world thats peaceful and nobody is starving
nate22
1/24/07 10:43:32PM
I guarantee with all my MMA heart that CroCop will face Fedor again for the Pride HW title.
roadking95th
1/25/07 2:02:31PM
I think Cro Cop's statement makes sense. He signed the deal he had to with the UFC. White wasn't going to give him an one fight deal to win and leave with the title, see Vera. So, Cro Cop signed a deal for 6 fights to get the money. I think he feels Fedor is the biggest challenge out there and wants to have the match. I think it would be great for the UFC and Pride to compete like the AFC and NFC do in the NFL. For that to happen though, they would have to be owned by the same company.
ninesevensix
1/25/07 9:21:37PM
He will definitely be back in PRIDE. He will finish off his 6 fight contract, hopefully within a year, and comeback to PRIDE and fight on new years.
hippysmacker
1/26/07 2:55:09AM

Posted by ninesevensix

He will definitely be back in PRIDE. He will finish off his 6 fight contract, hopefully within a year, and comeback to PRIDE and fight on new years.

\

6 fights in a year? Seems a lot to me for anyone, not to mention injuries possibly cropping up. . Also, he said Pride champ vs UFC champ. That would be great for MMA and it's fans if they actually worked together , but I don't see it happen unless Pride has more success in the US. I hope it happens though.
Hogzilla
1/26/07 10:50:55AM
Pride is not dying, and Cro Cop will not lose!!
BloodandTears
1/26/07 11:08:40AM

Posted by nate22

I guarantee with all my MMA heart that CroCop will face Fedor again for the Pride HW title.

It sux that to truly unify a champ he has to go from ufc tto pride, back and fourth to be undisputed champ!! No questions asked, if he gains ufc belt, then pride belt he becomes the first unified champ!! Once this happens well see ufc/pride working more closley together. As the fans that fund this sport we deserve to see this!
Chris_Keppel
7/17/07 6:15:50PM
Fedor will fight in the UFC before the year is over
Copenhagen
7/17/07 8:15:54PM

Posted by Chris_Keppel

Fedor will fight in the UFC before the year is over

Probably true, but at the time when everyone posted above there was no real talk about Fedor getting signed by the end of the year. I think this was actually 3 months before GG KO'd Crocop. But yes, I hope Dana works really hard on getting Fedor by '08.