Cristiane Santos on Gina Carano: 'Beauty Doesn't Win a Fight'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Cristiane Santos on Gina Carano: 'Beauty Doesn't Win a Fight'
emfleek
6/16/09 4:13:42PM
Cristiane Santos, aka Cris Cyborg, will take on Gina Carano on August 15 in what Strikeforce is promoting as the biggest fight in the history of women's mixed martial arts. One of the big reasons that Cyborg vs. Carano is such a big fight, of course, is that Carano has become a star and a sex symbol beyond just the world of MMA. But Cyborg has a message for Carano on that count.

STORY
sparky
6/16/09 4:18:34PM
No your right but beauty and talent does!!!!!!
Gina wins by submission!!!!!
Kpro
6/16/09 4:19:07PM

Posted by emfleek
One of the big reasons that Cyborg vs. Carano is such a big fight

jiujitsufreak74
6/16/09 4:37:44PM
first to Kpro:

second to Cyborg: please destroy Gina Carano, i will match your salary if you knock her unconscious in the first round
Jackelope
6/16/09 4:40:00PM
Beauty might not win fights, but boobs do.

War Gina
Wolfenstein
6/16/09 4:41:25PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

first to Kpro:

second to Cyborg: please destroy Gina Carano, i will match your salary if you knock her unconscious in the first round

I'm not sure if Randy will let you have your way with Gina just because she's unconscious...if that's what you're insinuating.
jiujitsufreak74
6/16/09 4:43:31PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

first to Kpro:

I'm not sure if Randy will let you have your way with Gina just because she's unconscious...if that's what you're insinuating.

well i would hope not. although my way would not be what you think it is, rather my way would be trapping her in a box and hiding her Raiders of the Lost Arc style
EvenFlow
6/16/09 4:44:44PM

Posted by Jackelope

Beauty might not win fights, but boobs do.

War Gina

This makes me wonder, are they allowed to allowed to attack each others boobage? and if so maybe this is why so many female mma fighters have none..
slapshot
6/16/09 4:45:30PM
Kind of a biased interviewer even before she choked him....wus!
State_Champ
6/16/09 5:50:48PM
Please Cristiane Santos, don't mess up Gina too badly.....
slapshot
6/16/09 6:00:28PM
5 Minute rounds right?
mshalosky
6/16/09 6:28:27PM
Yeah if beauty won fights that gina would be undefeated o wait she is undefeated. well i think her beauty will make her win this one too.
carano decision win
gnl68
6/16/09 8:47:36PM
Cardio will win this fight.Big edge to Gina.She got the looks,the training.If she has the cardio she should win.If Cyborg is patient and shoots,i could see her gnp to a stoppage.Not sure why my heart says Cyborg,and my brain says Gina.Hurry tell my girl i'm thinking with the right head for a change!!!!
jiujitsufreak74
6/16/09 9:42:20PM
Gina has no shot. she is going to learn real fast just how dangerous a real fighter is. looks should have nothing to do with MMA at all and i will be dancing with glee as she gets KTFO. she embodies everything that is wrong with today's society and she will be feeling all of those extra pounds when she goes crashing to the mat
Jackelope
6/16/09 10:05:50PM

she embodies everything that is wrong with today's society

I'm curious to know how you draw that comparison. I think I see where you're going, but I'm not really sure.

I wouldn't give Gina any respect if she hadn't proven herself in Muay Thai matches that were far from glamorous all over the world. If she was just a glory hound, and only did it for the recognition of her looks then I'd be right there with you. I honestly don't think she does, though.

I do understand your frustration with her weight cutting, and the fact that she gets a pass every time. I totally understand it, actually, and I'm right there with you. If that's what you were getting at, then by all means- I'm with you.

However, as a fighter, I recognize her skill. It's not like she's totally lacking in the talent department.
prozacnation1978
6/16/09 11:21:49PM
i agree she is the face cause she is quite a hottie
i do think cyborg will knock her out
slapshot
6/16/09 11:22:21PM
So this story is starting to pick up steam, I was under the impression that the choke was staged or at least planned.

However now there are some press releases calling it a attack and saying it was in no way planned. If she really did just up and attack a reporter that could be bad news. I mean think of the storm it would cause if she was a he and choked out a reporter...

I could see her being sued by this guy at the least and is there not a possibility of her license being suspended? Kind of a dumb thing to do IMO.

I still have a hard time thinking this was not in some way or the other preplanned. Ill look around for some feeds.
NatedawgThaM
6/17/09 12:07:49AM
Cyborgs going to mess her up old chutebox style! Hopefully they both knock each other unconscious and time freezes except for me and my dreams can come true hahahahahahahaha

Nah the only person I could do that to who's a real bad ass pretty ass fighter is female champion boxer Melinda Cooper, hell yeah!!!
whardin19
6/17/09 7:42:08AM
Niether does Ugly Santos!!!!!! Or looking like a man.
jiujitsufreak74
6/17/09 3:44:12PM

Posted by Jackelope

I do understand your frustration with her weight cutting, and the fact that she gets a pass every time. I totally understand it, actually, and I'm right there with you. If that's what you were getting at, then by all means- I'm with you.

that's exactly what i was getting at. the reason, to me, that she embodies everything that is wrong with todays society is precisely because she gets a free pass for missing weight just because she is beautiful time after time.
slapshot
6/17/09 4:33:30PM

Posted by Jackelope

that's exactly what i was getting at. the reason, to me, that she embodies everything that is wrong with todays society is precisely because she gets a free pass for missing weight just because she is beautiful time after time.

And you can name a woman fighter that hasn't got the same type of treatment? She's been docked her share of money and Santos has had her own issues with weight, how was she penalized any more than Gina? Gina has missed weight more times and has had her purse docked every time so I dont see how she's getting a pass.

I think the weight issue has been beat to death when it comes to Carano and yes she should make weight but how that "embodies everything that is wrong with today's society" Ill never know.

Actually when you think about it, if you want to take issue with how the weight requiterments are handled then you dont have a issue with Gina at all you have a issue with the athletic commission.

As a fighter if there is a rule that you can bend that gives you a advantage odd's are 99% of fighters will bend it. I just dont get why people think she gets special treatment other popular fighters dont, because the truth is there are a good number of male fighters in the UFC and in other big promotion's that fail to cut weight repeatedly and whats happened to them that hasn't happened to Gina? Oh yeah nothing.

Even when they set her up to fight knowing at the time the fight was made she was on American Gladiators and would come in heavy (because she told them she probably would) people still get bent out of shape about it.

To me its not even a issue until we have enough female fighters to even create weight classes and at this point there really are not enough girls to legitimately do so, after we get to that point I can see getting sticky on making weight. But these girls are fighting catch weight after catch weight so I'm willing to give a little leeway.
jiujitsufreak74
6/17/09 4:49:46PM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by Jackelope

And you can name a woman fighter that hasn't got the same type of treatment? She's been docked her share of money and Santos has had her own issues with weight, how was she penalized any more than Gina? Gina has missed weight more times and has had her purse docked every time so I dont see how she's getting a pass.

I think the weight issue has been beat to death when it comes to Carano and yes she should make weight but how that "embodies everything that is wrong with today's society" Ill never know.

Actually when you think about it, if you want to take issue with how the weight requiterments are handled then you dont have a issue with Gina at all you have a issue with the athletic commission.

As a fighter if there is a rule that you can bend that gives you a advantage odd's are 99% of fighters will bend it. I just dont get why people think she gets special treatment other popular fighters dont, because the truth is there are a good number of male fighters in the UFC and in other big promotion's that fail to cut weight repeatedly and whats happened to them that hasn't happened to Gina? Oh yeah nothing.

Even when they set her up to fight knowing at the time the fight was made she was on American Gladiators and would come in heavy (because she told them she probably would) people still get bent out of shape about it.

To me its not even a issue until we have enough female fighters to even create weight classes and at this point there really are not enough girls to legitimately do so, after we get to that point I can see getting sticky on making weight. But these girls are fighting catch weight after catch weight so I'm willing to give a little leeway.

i am in complete disagreement. as someone who actually goes through the process of cutting weight it is despicable to see a professional athlete miss weight as badly and as often as gina carano. and what happens? nothing. she gets docked pay, alright thats fine for a first offense, but after the third f*cking time i get sick of it. and she misses weight by large amoutns too! its not .5 or 1 pound, which is still ridiculous imo to miss, but it is 3-4 pounds. are you kidding me?! she gets a pass because she looks good and is marketable. it sickens me when i see it go on in society and as a fan and participant of this great sport it is a slap in my face every time she misses weight
slapshot
6/17/09 4:58:47PM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by Jackelope

i am in complete disagreement. as someone who actually goes through the process of cutting weight it is despicable to see a professional athlete miss weight as badly and as often as gina carano. and what happens? nothing. she gets docked pay, alright thats fine for a first offense, but after the third f*cking time i get sick of it. and she misses weight by large amoutns too! its not .5 or 1 pound, which is still ridiculous imo to miss, but it is 3-4 pounds. are you kidding me?! she gets a pass because she looks good and is marketable. it sickens me when i see it go on in society and as a fan and participant of this great sport it is a slap in my face every time she misses weight

And you are picking her out of the crowd for the same reason you say she gets special treatment, when you know nothing ever happens to male MMA fighters other than a purse cut and a fine, she's not being treated differently than other MMA stars IMO.
DCRage
6/17/09 5:02:19PM
Santos should win barring another premature celebration. The 5-minute rounds should be slightly in her favor, just as long as she doesn't empty the tank pummeling Gina in the early rounds.
Bowen50
6/17/09 5:04:25PM

Posted by slapshot
And you are picking her out of the crowd for the same reason you say she gets special treatment, when you know nothing ever happens to male MMA fighters other than a purse cut and a fine, she's not being treated differently than other MMA stars IMO.

you also have to realize that no fighter, male or female, has ever missed weight as often or to the same magnitude as gina has.
Jackelope
6/17/09 6:47:10PM

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by slapshot

you also have to realize that no fighter, male or female, has ever missed weight as often or to the same magnitude as gina has.

Exactly, and to add to that-

JJFreak and I have discussed Thiago Alves' missing of weight numerous times. JJFreak gives Alves a pass because of the fact that he was injured while cutting weight. I somewhat agree with him on that point, too.

Slapshot does have a point about the lack of competitors in women's MMA, but if that is the main issue then why don't you just make the fight at a higher weight to begin with? At least that way the fighter accepting the fight knows what she is getting into, and no one has to lose face by missing weight.

As with most things, I don't view it as completely black and white, but this is one instance where I'd like to see a little bit tighter rules. We all know Gina gets a pass because she's marketable. That's okay once or maybe even twice, but 3 times is when you start getting ridiculous IMO.
slapshot
6/17/09 7:36:42PM

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by slapshot

If you have facts to back this statement up I would accept it but alves I believe has at least missed weight 3 times. And my point is this, they do make concessions for male fighters when it comes to weight and they would make just as many for a popular male star as they have done for her.

Anyway if that doesn't change your mind then nothing will.

I think Gina has speed and accuracy over Santos from what Ive seen Gina has IMO better footwork and I think she takes this fight as long as it stays a kickboxing match.
runningman08
6/21/09 8:50:11PM
i agree. Gina is Hot but Cyborg will probably mess up her face pretty good. Gina might want to take this to the ground. I still say Cyborg wins by TKO in round two.