Creatine Cycles

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Creatine Cycles
bayonetxwork
7/22/07 6:50:02PM
I'm about to start a new workout program, and just doing a lot of reading before getting into it. I understand the loading phase, but my question comes with the following 20-30 days of your cycle. When taking it, should you only take it on workout days? On the labels, it says take directly after workout. But on many articles on bodybuilding.com, it calls for taking 3-5gs every day. Any help would be appreciated.
casey64
7/22/07 7:52:45PM
Take it right after a workout that is when it kicks in got some my self.
JGeyer23
7/22/07 10:46:11PM
yes, take it every day. and make sure you get 5 g/day. What kind of creatine are you going to be taking?
jdubs
7/23/07 12:18:15AM
everyone says green mag is the sh*T, ALSO THEIR lemonade flavor i tried the sour green apple and it tastes amazing
bayonetxwork
7/23/07 11:18:32AM

Posted by JGeyer23

yes, take it every day. and make sure you get 5 g/day. What kind of creatine are you going to be taking?

Probably the cheap gnc brand haha What do you guys recommend, the pure creatine pills, or the powder so you can mix it with your protein shakes?
jdubs
7/23/07 5:13:00PM
the powder... honestly try green mag it is the best tasting supplement on the market today.. as well as one of the most popular..green mag

i also recomend buyin products from bodybuilding.co cause they are cheap and they also have 10% discount codes that you can punch in if you know them

BODYBUILDING.COM ALSO HAS GReat supplement rewiews in their forums
JGeyer23
7/23/07 9:02:04PM
When I said what kind I meant monohydrate, ethyl ester, etc. But since you don't have it yet, I would go with creatine monohydrate. I agree, Green Mag is a good supplement (It doesnt contain creatine monohydrate, but it still works). There are some better choices out there, but Green Mag is the best for the money..you get a ton of servings (80), with quality creatine, and a good taste. Can't beat it if you're on a low budget. Send me a PM and I can show you a site that has it even cheaper than bodybuilding.com, if you want.
Lethal
7/24/07 5:50:30PM
Just my opinion...I've tried different brands of creatine and maybe it's just me, but it didn't make a significant difference on my strength. My muscles got a lot bigger, but they were nearly the same strength they were when I first started taking the suppliment. I started benching 315 as my max and in the end I only increase 6 lbs over a 2 month period. But then again, maybe it's just me.
jgtribbett
7/25/07 9:46:57AM
well for one.. your body can use no more than 5g creatine at a time. so loading stages are bullshit.
also... monohydrate and dyhydrates are bullshit.. they are water/glucose soluable, so they need water and/or sugar to get into yout muscles (cells that make up muscles)
you want to try and get a creatine ethel ester. (like blast cycle by fizogen)
ethel ester's are fat soluable; meaning it wont pull water or glucouse into your muscles so when you off cycle the mass you gained wont dwindle away (as much). that is what i've learned over the years... if you are only gonna do cheap things. take caffeine and/or a creatine(not pills) shake (no caffeine if you take a creatine drink) before your workout and fruit and amino acid pills after the workout. that is the best way to go
Rush
7/25/07 11:03:58AM

Posted by metal_mecca43

well for one.. your body can use no more than 5g creatine at a time. so loading stages are bullshit.
also... monohydrate and dyhydrates are bullshit.. they are water/glucose soluable, so they need water and/or sugar to get into yout muscles (cells that make up muscles)
ethel ester's are fat soluable; meaning it wont pull water or glucouse into your muscles so when you off cycle the mass you gained wont dwindle away (as much). that is what i've learned over the years... if you are only gonna do cheap things. take caffeine and/or a creatine(not pills) shake (no caffeine if you take a creatine drink) before your workout and fruit and amino acid pills after the workout. that is the best way to go

Dude, there are so many biochemically inaccurate things here.

1) Creatine monhydrate/dihydrate being bullshit. I wouldn't say bullshit, it's just that they are all the same when in aqueous solution

2) There is no such thing as sugar soluble. Sugar is not a solvent. Water is a solvent. The reason you should take it with water is obvious, but less obvious why you need to have take it with carbohydrates

Creatine phosphate helps restore the triphosphate (or high energy state) form of ATP. ATP is made in your body from glycolysis and the citric acid cycle (from sugar). Taking creatine with sugar helps potentiate the effects. This has been clinically shown and published. This makes sense since you need sugar to make ATP and you need ATP/ADP in high amounts for creatine to be able to do anything.

3) Creatine ethyl esters are lipophylic, but that doesn't have anything to do with water retention. Creatine exists as a salt. It's going to pull water, which is why you need to take it with lots of water. Because it is charged and a salt means that it's cellular uptake is reduced. The ethyl ester form, being lipophylic means that it is more soluble in low ionic strength environments (i.e. the membrane of cells). Therefore, in theory, this form is absorbed more readily in cells. There are claims that the ethyl ester form has a longer serum half life, but there appears to be no real study on this. Heck, a pubmed search on creatine ethyl ester only gets 14 hits.
schlegel5252
7/27/07 10:03:27AM
SciFit CEE. Anyone know anything about it? Looks relatively inexpensive, what do you guys think?
lance70301
8/23/07 3:21:43PM
I recommend not loading up....I think that is just a way for you to have to buy more, because you use more faster. i also recommend taking it 30-45 minutes before with 16 ozs of water. The creatine forces your body to retain water, which in turn makes you heavier. The added weight makes you stronger.
Jackelope
8/23/07 5:23:27PM
I've never been a fan of creatine. Especially not creatine for MMA unless you're a HW who wouldn't mind bumping up 10 lbs. For smaller guys it's better to fight in the lowest weight class possible. Plus it dehydrates the hell out of you and makes muscles cramp if you happen to go a little short on water, etc. It works fine for body builder guys, but ehh... personally I'm just not a fan.

try www.dpsnutrition.com for all your supplement needs. Good prices, especially if you buy in bulk and get free shipping.

Some of you guys sound like you know a lot about the scientific arguments behind creatine, so I won't doubt your knowledge.. I'm just saying that personally I don't like how creatine makes me feel or what it does for my body
jgtribbett
8/28/07 7:30:19AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by metal_mecca43

Dude, there are so many biochemically inaccurate things here.

1) Creatine monhydrate/dihydrate being bullshit. I wouldn't say bullshit, it's just that they are all the same when in aqueous solution

2) There is no such thing as sugar soluble. Sugar is not a solvent. Water is a solvent. The reason you should take it with water is obvious, but less obvious why you need to have take it with carbohydrates

Creatine phosphate helps restore the triphosphate (or high energy state) form of ATP. ATP is made in your body from glycolysis and the citric acid cycle (from sugar). Taking creatine with sugar helps potentiate the effects. This has been clinically shown and published. This makes sense since you need sugar to make ATP and you need ATP/ADP in high amounts for creatine to be able to do anything.

3) Creatine ethyl esters are lipophylic, but that doesn't have anything to do with water retention. Creatine exists as a salt. It's going to pull water, which is why you need to take it with lots of water. Because it is charged and a salt means that it's cellular uptake is reduced. The ethyl ester form, being lipophylic means that it is more soluble in low ionic strength environments (i.e. the membrane of cells). Therefore, in theory, this form is absorbed more readily in cells. There are claims that the ethyl ester form has a longer serum half life, but there appears to be no real study on this. Heck, a pubmed search on creatine ethyl ester only gets 14 hits.

yeah hahahah i just went back and read this and i was drunk when i was typing this... alcohol aside.. thanks for the explenation. i didnt know that much about it. i def didnt mean sugar soluable haha... but yes.. i agree with what you're saying.
but!!! overall i've found been happier with the ethel ester.